Segeyaro staying at Leeds says GH.

Surely Hull KR would snap Gary's hand off if he offers £100K for Lunt. Maybe he could break the bank for Daryl Clarke.

£100k is a bit over the odds for a 29 year old but I can't see an immediately obvious alternative.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is all to do with the A$1.8b TV contract coming into play and the change in the salary cap. Also the poor exchange rate. Agents and clubs are in the ear of these players telling them they can double/treble earnings by staying down under. It is no coincidence that Pritchard, Sandow and Segeyaro have bailed in the close season.

We had it good when we were getting 2.9 to the A$ and now we just have to live with it. 

Scubby, you have hit a nail on the noggin and said clout accounts for some of the emotional difficulties of some players and even more so, those of their agents. 

There was a reduction in the number of ex-NRL players in Superleague a few year years back owing to the strength of the Aus $, which then declined in value agin the  £ & the EUR  and this resulted in Aussie agents being more open to contracts for players with Superleague clubs. 

I wonder what the path of the £ against the Aussie $ has been recently.

The events of late - Players not honouring contracts, Melbourne Storm snubbing WCC, Bennett having a laugh as England coach (They got worse remember) .

SL / English RL in general should adopt a siege mentality  -Get people with pride like Shaun Wayne into key rolls, don't try to justify any of these actions there just acts of contempt. 

Does anyone know what the current situation is with Robbie Ward? Last I heard he'd gone to Oz but looked talented when he played SL for leeds.

Returned to play for Fev, but didn't get much of a run in the team. Signed for Dewsbury in 2017.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Mellor . Leeds offered to buy out his contract. The offer was refused.

Watching our own players is pretty much all we have to be proud of at the moment. Mellor to Leeds would be a hammer blow to that. It's good to see that someone somewhere at Odsal recognises that this time around.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Watching our own players is pretty much all we have to be proud of at the moment. Mellor to Leeds would be a hammer blow to that. It's good to see that someone somewhere at Odsal recognises that this time around.

I fear for Leeds

This signing is a monumental cock up

The failure to secure sinfield or peacock in their coaching set up is near disastrous

With burrow , and McGuire past their best by a few years Leeds signed Galloway and garbutt and their impact has been muted

Then the failure to proceed with the headingley re development

Here is a rudderless ship about to flounder

I predict Leeds with be very near to relegation in 2017

Leeds haven't played consistently with a recognised hooker for a few years (since Buderus really as Aiton was injured a lot). Its infuriating because we play so much better with a proper hooker.

For example it was normally Aiton who was on the end of Cuthbertson's offloads last season.

I fear for Leeds

This signing is a monumental cock up

The failure to secure sinfield or peacock in their coaching set up is near disastrous

With burrow , and McGuire past their best by a few years Leeds signed Galloway and garbutt and their impact has been muted

Then the failure to proceed with the headingley re development

Here is a rudderless ship about to flounder

I predict Leeds with be very near to relegation in 2017

On the field 2017 could be tricky - although I am willing to wait and see. Either way, a few poor seasons are not enough to 'sink' Leeds - and I don't think having recently retired ex-players in a coaching role would be of any benefit.

The Headingley redevelopment/planning permission issue is completely separate and, to a degree, one Hetherington and the Leeds board have only limited control over the timing of. They have a wad of cash in the bank and if it was just the South Stand I imagine they could finance that themselves. But to also fund the Main Stand project they need the associated planning to be nodded through - and they aren't willing to do one without the other.

Peacock and sinfield are not simply ex players

They are the cornerstone of Leeds rhinos

Whilst I applaud signings like ormondroyd and Corey Aston they are untested at this level

Jones Buchanan is 35 and McGuire and burrow not far behind them

The fall out with Zak hardaker tells me the spine of the team is no more

If I was a Leeds fan is be highly concerned

Peacock and sinfield are not simply ex players

No, they are also ex-teammates which is the key reason they shouldn't be involved. Plus the fact that neither of them wanted to stay and neither of them wanted to go into coaching.

Given the way Leeds finished the last season, I think they'll be comfortably higher than the relegation contenders. But I'll be surprised if 2017 is a good season for them.

Still time for them to make signings, of course.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Leeds are screwed the way other teams are screwed they simply cannot bring in the talent they want to bring in on the wages/finances available. Gone are the days when Brent Webb, Scott Donald, Ali Lauititi, Kylie Leululai and Danny Bederus etc. could come, slot in and make an instant impact. These guys will not come over for £120k ((A$180-200k) when they can get double that and more without leaving Australia or NZ.

Archived