Expenses issue with Toronto Wolfpack

8 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

How many season tickets have been sold? Surely better to meet clubs halfway if you have already have games scheduled.

Getting into a row with a club over expenses seems like a unneeded distraction.

Is this a lack of experience in the day to day of running a club, perhaps they need someone with experience of dealing with other clubs involved.

Not dissimilar to the early days of Koukash at Salford who seemed to generate unnecessary distractions for the club off-field.

Has anyone actually been to Toronto yet? Let's dig up the Catalans won't get any crowds (and will be bust within 2 years) thread from February 2006 and make comparisons.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The English Clubs could start a "Go fund me campaign" to get their couple of meals funded rather than pay the small change it takes to buy a fast food meal or Sandwich themselves.

This whole thread makes the game look like a Sport on its way out in the Northern Hemisphere

Australian individual Schools can send 15 year old kids to tour New Zealand for a couple of weeks for the last 40 years (airfares were not cheap back then and they had no sponsors) and we can not send a semi pro team to Canada without agreeing who is picking up a few quid on Lunch and Dinner, surely its the visiting teams obligation, either by the Team or the individual.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

15 minutes ago, Allora said:

The English Clubs could start a "Go fund me campaign" to get their couple of meals funded rather than pay the few Pounds themselves.

Couple of meals. Like it. ?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

15 hours ago, Niels said:

I do feel some posters are changing the goalposts here. Anyone who raised issues about Toronto were countered with the argument "Toronto are paying for everything". Now this is not the case the argument used is " Ah but it is only expenses etc". It will be interesting to see if any more cutbacks are made. 

Before anyone gets upset, this is not a criticism of the project etc. I just feel as a goodwill gesture Toronto should have kept to the original agreement. 

I believe that they are keeping to the original agreement. It's just that some clubs/individuals prefered to understand what they wanted about this agreement without reading it properly in the first instance.

This is most uncharacteristic of RL.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I believe that they are keeping to the original agreement. It's just that some clubs/individuals prefered to understand what they wanted about this agreement without reading it properly in the first instance.

This is most uncharacteristic of RL.

Thanks for the sensible reply - and from a fellow Heavy Woollen Fan.☺

If we both play them next year maybe we can reciprocate and invite them to a carvery or Wetherspoons ?

When I was 16 or 17 I occasionally played open age alongside age group RL. My open age side were drawn away against Bognor Regis in the BARLA National Cup. I think we all had to pay £30 towards to bus (in the early 90s), got up at 4am on Saturday for the game, bought our own breakfast and lunch at the services and drinks at the bar after the game. We won the game comfortably in wet conditions and probably got home about 2.30am. It is one of the fondest memories I have playing as a kid - a long away trip with the lads. We did it for the enjoyment of playing RL and a few of the lads did have to take a Saturday morning shift off work.

Thinking back, I would have bitten someone's hand off for a free trip to Canada to play with the guys and potentially do something special. Enjoy it fellas (and fans) and treasure the life experiences. One day you'll get up and realise you can't run around a RL field anymore.

3 hours ago, langpark said:

How this has reached 5 pages is beyond me. Biggest non-issue ever.

Yes true but what would all the people who want to shout about what's wrong with TWP do? Where would they go? How would they fill their time?

John Drake stole their only other outlet.

4 hours ago, Dummy Half said:

Just leaving your mum's spare room would be an achievement.

And I thought covering up my webcam would prevent people watching me watching old black and white movies!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yes true but what would all the people who want to shout about what's wrong with TWP do? Where would they go? How would they fill their time?

I'm not anti-Wolfpack, just so you know.  I really want them to do well, as do the majority of RL fans I believe.

But, I will call BS when I see it.  And claims of 5000 season tickets being sold (back in December!) I am certain are nothing but a load of BS.  Lamport Stadium has a capacity of 9,600.  At the rate tickets were (supposedly) being sold, it should be sold out by now, from the season ticket holders alone!!!  Why are certain people turning a blind eye to the clear BS?

2 minutes ago, langpark said:

I'm not anti-Wolfpack, just so you know.  I really want them to do well, as do the majority of RL fans I believe.

But, I will call BS when I see it.  And claims of 5000 season tickets being sold (back in December!) I am certain are nothing but a load of BS.  Lamport Stadium has a capacity of 9,600.  At the rate tickets were (supposedly) being sold, it should be sold out by now, from the season ticket holders alone!!!  Why are certain people turning a blind eye to the clear BS?

Because we've been fed 4 billion viewers for the last 15 years printed as fact by the media. You have to be in the UK to realise how amazing it is that Toronto have had any mention at all with our narrow minded friends in the press.

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

John Drake stole their only other outlet.

And I thought covering up my webcam would prevent people watching me watching old black and white movies!

Hi Oxford. I fill my time following and supporting my local team win or lose, attending games etc.

I have nothing against Toronto. I just wish people would support and encourage all the expansion teams and not just the ones who are fashionable and winning. 

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Even if it is BS, and this seems very important to you, it's the BS of someone who is on our side and trying to sell the game that makes his BS essential and just part of the marketing game.

46 minutes ago, Niels said:

Hi Oxford. I fill my time following and supporting my local team win or lose, attending games etc.

I have nothing against Toronto. I just wish people would support and encourage all the expansion teams and not just the ones who are fashionable and winning. 

I'm afraid I don't follow your point here, sorry!

37 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Even if it is BS, and this seems very important to you, it's the BS of someone who is on our side and trying to sell the game that makes his BS essential and just part of the marketing game.

I disagree that it's essential and I think it damages our long-term credibility.  Boy-who-cried-wolf style.  If they are touting 5000 season ticket holders then end up with an average of, say, 1000, then it exposes them as blatant liars and makes it a lot harder for all the rest of us to sell a story or hype a match up in the future.

27 minutes ago, langpark said:

I disagree that it's essential and I think it damages our long-term credibility.  Boy-who-cried-wolf style.  If they are touting 5000 season ticket holders then end up with an average of, say, 1000, then it exposes them as blatant liars and makes it a lot harder for all the rest of us to sell a story or hype a match up in the future.

I think Eric Perez probably knows a lot more about successful marketing than you to be fair.

26 minutes ago, langpark said:

Getting 5000 people to part with money to pay in advance to support a team they've never heard of playing a sport they've never heard of either strikes me as either genius or dangly reproductive pods.

I'd be very surprised if they have 'sold' 5000 season tickets but if they have then fair play.

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

And we also bag the other code for doing the same thing....so we'll have to see what materialises in that first home game

71,324 is the reported crowd earlier today for the club RU game at Wembley between Saracens and Harlequins. I fail to understand what benefit Saracens would get for inflating it to be honest, they'd just end up paying more tax for little or no return for the lie. It'd be more likely they said 49,000 turned up when they actually had 71,324 in attendance.

Well thanks to these fly by nights actually securing television coverage of their home (and away) fixtures we will all get to see this for ourselves and make a judgement. Those that have the right equipment can even live pause and count the bums on the bleachers.

8 hours ago, Niels said:

Genuine question - what point are you making here? Which expansion teams do you refer to?

I dont think i have witnesses 'expansionists' being selective as you suggest.

20 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Yeah why get into a row with a club over expenses? Why not just offer to pay for everything to avoid people complaining? 

I would love to go to the pub with you.  Because, I am not happy about it being my round.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I think there is a genuine concern that while Perez can hype this club up effectively, playing some games in parks with a couple of hundred watching and beating teams by huge margins does undermine the glamour.

If it has been sold as the start of the journey, great. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

How can people say Perez is just hype.  He's achieved a huge deal just getting them this far.  He's got a mega rich financial backer on board, airline sponsor paying for flights, a stadium to use, coaches, players, TV deals.  Why be so cynical about a guy who can clearly achieve?  

16 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

How can people say Perez is just hype.  He's achieved a huge deal just getting them this far.  He's got a mega rich financial backer on board, airline sponsor paying for flights, a stadium to use, coaches, players, TV deals.  Why be so cynical about a guy who can clearly achieve?  

There's an old saying that if something seems too good to be true then it probably is. It doesn't always ring true but we all tend to be cynical buggers.

26 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Because when you're desperate to find something wrong or make something questionable you'll search anywhere and everywhere until you find it or some manure sticks.:rolleyes:

The teams I support: NZ Warriors, Melbourne Storm, Catalan Dragons, London Broncos, Goldcoast Titans, South Sydney, North Queensland Cowboys, Toronto WP, Toulouse,Sheffield Eagles, Oxford and Carcasonne. ( And all the underdogs in every final of every competition!) I also went back to my first team as well.

The more astute among you will have quickly spotted that I only go for the fashionable and winning ones.

Having this many teams is only a bummer when all of them lose over the same weekend!

Just now, Oxford said:

Because when you're desperate to find something wrong or make something questionable you'll search anywhere and everywhere until you find it or some manure sticks.:rolleyes:

The teams I support NZ Warriors, Melbourne Storm, Catalan Dragons, London Broncos, Goldcoast Titans, South Sydney, Queensland Cowboys, Toronto WP, Toulouse,Sheffield Eagles and Carcasonne. ( And all the underdogs in every final of every competition!) I also went back to my first team as well.

The more astute among you will have quickly spotted that I only go for the fashionable and winning ones.

Having this many teams is only a bummer when all of them lose over the same weekend!

I don't get your choice of NRL teams?

They are such a mish mash of teams there is no common denominator.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived