Have Castleford Peaked too Early?

Wigan and Hull have proved they can do it in big knockout games this season. That's the big doubt for me about Cas. They've lost their one big knockout game. Winning in the semi and at Old Trafford takes a different mindset to regular league games.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

Wigan and Hull have proved they can do it in big knockout games this season. That's the big doubt for me about Cas. They've lost their one big knockout game. Winning in the semi and at Old Trafford takes a different mindset to regular league games.

They did hammer saints in their other big knock out game you ignore.

2 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Cas are probably the most successful big game team in SL at present.

We may only be  1 from 2 in challenge cup games against SL opposition this season. But add this to our an immense recent record in cup finals and we are 8/9.*

*(any self respecting Rhinos fan will tell you playing them is our cup final!)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

But you keep banging on about the likes of Wigan who are behind Cas and Saints who you are bagging.

If I was in the top 4 I'd be more worried about Saints than Wigan. They've had a decent second half to the season. Genuinely think they may scrape into playoffs

Cas I think have not going to Wembley in their favour  and the blip that usually follows the wembley winners . Cas haven't had any kind of a bad run Yet so that could be on their minds too . it's going to be. A very interesting 8s .I do think Cas will win SL 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

10 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Doesn't really matter. They've already proved that they are the best team in England. 

Yes but can they win the final....I feel play offs don't necessarily reflect best team that season but everyone remembers the Gf winners....

I can see top 4 being 

Cas, Leeds, Hull and Wigan or Saints... Beware Wigan or Saints.....

22 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Yeah if everyone subscribes to the view that winning the 23 game league is the main priority. Clearly not everyone does and not every club does. 

If winning a few cup matches floats your boat rather than an entire season, so be it

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

If winning a few cup matches floats your boat rather than an entire season, so be it

SL is the best of both. You have to perform well enough over 30 games to be in the knockout rounds, then a bit of sudden death at the end

On 3/8/2017 at 6:52 PM, DEANO said:

Doesn't really matter. They've already proved that they are the best team in England. 

It's a bit strange to read something like this after so many years of playoff-shaped competition. All the other clubs could say that Castleford have proved only that they deserve a home semifinal, nothing more. Nobody is required to do their best to be top of the table after 23 matches. If the title is awarded in october you don't need to be the best in august. After all, if you think you already know what club is the best, why going on and play the playoffs ?

7 minutes ago, DEANO said:

It's a fabulous end of season competition. But the real deal is the league

The league still has another 7 matches to go under the current format. If Castleford can't keep the pace up then they will be neither league leaders or GF champions. That's just the way it works now.

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

The real deal is the fabulous end of season competition, whether you like it or not.

Ask any club's fans whether they'd like to win the LLS or the GF.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

33 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

The real deal is the fabulous end of season competition, whether you like it or not.

Ask any club's fans whether they'd like to win the LLS or the GF.

Cas fans would have the LLS.

Unfortunately, I think the GF is beyond us.☹️☹️

Its Hull's to lose I reckon.??

5 hours ago, Davc1h said:

Cas fans would have the LLS.

Unfortunately, I think the GF is beyond us.☹️☹️

Its Hull's to lose I reckon.??

You'll almost certainly win the LLS but, at the start of the season, no fan of any SL club would say they'd rather win that than the GF. (Apart from Deano maybe?)

Cas are still in the driving seat for winning the GF, as confirmed by the bookies who know a thing or two when it comes to not giving money away. With their remarkable points difference they're the only team that have already booked a place in one of the semi finals. Even if they lose all their Super 8s games the chances of them ending up outside the top four are almost nil. Their lack of GF experience is the only thing against them.

https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-league/super-league

My lot's odds are about right I think, seeing as we've never won a GF before and, as I've already hinted with Cas, experience in that game goes a long way towards winning it. 

I'm a bit taken aback by the Pies' odds, I know they've not had the greatest of seasons by their standards but 40/1? :blink: I would say they have to win at least 5 out of their last 7 games to stand a chance of qualifying but I wouldn't say that's beyond them.

49 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

You'll almost certainly win the LLS but, at the start of the season, no fan of any SL club would say they'd rather win that than the GF. (Apart from Deano maybe?)

I agree with you 100%

I just think the LLS is a realistic target. I am not certain we have what it takes to win the big stuff, as Saints showed on Thursday.

Get what you say about the bookies but Saints were +10 on Thursday, how generous was that?

Whatever happens from now on in, it will be great learning for Cas as a club.

21 minutes ago, Davc1h said:

I agree with you 100%

I just think the LLS is a realistic target. I am not certain we have what it takes to win the big stuff, as Saints showed on Thursday.

Get what you say about the bookies but Saints were +10 on Thursday, how generous was that?

Whatever happens from now on in, it will be great learning for Cas as a club.

Hindsight, etc, etc...

As you say, this season has been and still will be great for the Castleford club. Even if they come up short they'll be better prepared next year. I'm not overconfident of Hull FC winning anything this year but Lee Radford certainly seems to have gauged the season better this time round than last, even though we won the cup then.

Interesting times for both our teams. :good:

On 04/08/2017 at 7:48 PM, DEANO said:

B oll ocks, 

The league dictates who you play in the playoffs that's all.

Teams change their league strategy to not win every game but to build towards the play offs.

The teams that dont tend to come off worse.

Warrington for several years blew everyone away, the teams that let them and then beat them when it counted are the names on the trophy!

Archived