CATALAN DRAGONS

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Interesting to see Guisset is leaving at the end of the season. Anyone know where to and if it was of his own accord?

Don't know.  I would imagine, seeing as he has been with the Cats as a player and worked up to Asst.Coach, he would have fancied the job.  I think that would be right as well.  He finishes at the end of the season and reports say he hasn't anything planned.  

GaryOand Tongs, given that you want jeopardy, but want a route to SL for Toronto and Catalans (potential back) to SL, might a useful tweak be a 14 team SL from 2019, until the new broadcast deal in 2022 when it reverts to 12? 2 teams could go up automatically, with teams 3-6 in the Championship joining the Super 8s next season. So just as much, if not more acccess to SL for current Champ teams next season.

Roger Draper confirmed no changes to a 12 team SL next season, but for me that wouldn't preclude the above, as essentially happens in the Championship.

Can be sold  to SL clubs as making the competition as commercially viable as possible before a new broadcast deal, and if SL clubs quibble at sharing the pot with 14 clubs, those auto promoted next season could get a lesser share until 2022. Toronto could afford it as could probably Catalan, and more income than they would get in the Championship if they missed out via the Super 8s if that structure was retained.

I wrote an OP on this a couple of days ago. Admittedly long but really sets out the logic and the wider restructure. Your esteemed opinion would be appreciated.

21 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Don't know.  I would imagine, seeing as he has been with the Cats as a player and worked up to Asst.Coach, he would have fancied the job.  I think that would be right as well.  He finishes at the end of the season and reports say he hasn't anything planned.  

Bit of a shame really, and be interesting to see if McNamara replaces him with another Frenchman. Bosc perhaps? 

Don't think it would've helped his chances with the terrible run they had after Frayssinous left, if he wanted the top job that is. Hope he stays in the game, always had a lot of time for him and it's good to see the number of ex Dragons players staying in the game after they retire 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Bit of a shame really, and be interesting to see if McNamara replaces him with another Frenchman. Bosc perhaps? 

Don't think it would've helped his chances with the terrible run they had after Frayssinous left, if he wanted the top job that is. Hope he stays in the game, always had a lot of time for him and it's good to see the number of ex Dragons players staying in the game after they retire 

I think that's right.  He's been very committed to Catalans and genuinely nice bloke.  

Given the lack of depth in the squad, whether LF stayed or not wouldn't have made a difference imo.  The groupe is announced every week, but you don't need to read it to know what that squad is.  

Not sure about Tomas with coaching.  Only know him from playing golf really and tried not to talk much 'shop'.   Barny will confirm I would imagine.

From the lesson he taught on our course he was very knowledgable and excellent communicator, he was struggling to find his words in French! 

Showed lots of tips and techniques that all the other teams are using so he's definetly up to date, 

thomas seems timid/shy but is definetly knows his rugby, 

i hope Jerome bounces back, I don't think it would be too much of a problem for him to work in England or oz! I just hope Steve mc namara is listening to the right people who have the clubs interest at heart and not their own! 

One of the reasons rl is struggling in France is that too many people are in it for what they can get and not for the game, from the lowest level to the highest including rugby schools and the federation, I heard one person say regional politics is less complicated than the politics in French rl! 

Be interesting to see where Frayssinous, Guisset and Cologni find themselves down the line.Elima and Fakir new coaches in Elite next season. Guigue at Avignon as well as Cologni's assistant with the national team. Its another positive of the Dragons in Super League. Janzac at back-to-back Champions Limoux seems to be making a name for himself. Fascinating to see how the emblematic Dave Ellis goes on his return to Villeneuve sur Lot goes next term. An icon before.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Shhhh janzac is not the coach at limoux, he's not allowed to be as he works for the federation at france pole in Toulouse (centre of excellence style thing) someone else is the coach (a computer/match analysis wizard) 

janzac is a great young coach who has proven himself against other big name coaches(for France)  and against teams with bigger budgets,

Fakir has a lot of work to do in a transition year for lezignan, 

ellis has an even harder task with villeneuve due to lack of players and funding,,

Albi will have a good season if there signing are anything to go by! 

Carcassonne will have a good season, they're creating a real club with a pyramid in place via the rugby school, juniors and reserve team, 

Who's going to coach the Catalans reserves as it seems guisset is leaving the club, 

Guasch was bemoaning the fact that the lads stepping up from the Academy are not being stretched enough in the Elite with the clubs U23s (St Esteve) - only the Aude clubs and Avignon up to the task. I think we need to get the other half up and running. Albi seem to be strengthening and St Gaudens had their moments too last term - but need consistency. Duma's son a half back like his father has promise? Would like to think that Toulouse Broncos (TOXIII reserves) can come good sooner rather than later. Sarrazain has recognised that their Championship squad needs to be bigger and stronger - so maybe that will impact the Broncos set-up too.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

21 minutes ago, audois said:

Guasch was bemoaning the fact that the lads stepping up from the Academy are not being stretched enough in the Elite with the clubs U23s (St Esteve) - only the Aude clubs and Avignon up to the task. I think we need to get the other half up and running. Albi seem to be strengthening and St Gaudens had their moments too last term - but need consistency. Duma's son a half back like his father has promise? Would like to think that Toulouse Broncos (TOXIII reserves) can come good sooner rather than later. Sarrazain has recognised that their Championship squad needs to be bigger and stronger - so maybe that will impact the Broncos set-up too.

Wat other signings are in the pipeline for TO? They need more depth and a bigger pack. 

Archived