Two more North America rugby league sides.

At what point will the wider UK media write more articles about the amazing developments up to this point in time?

Article upon article was produced about the other mob and their North American foray but the truly remarkable feat of even lowly 3rd division rugby league clubs playing in front of 1000s in Canada with national Canadian TV coverage seems to get a couple of national articles but mostly coverage in small regional papers in the league 1 team’s  heartland.

At some point there must be a breakthrough.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric has to make sure that he doesn't take shortcuts in expanding the game there. If he sees a potential partner that genuinely wants to get into RL, great. If it is someone that wants to use RL for its own benefit without love for game, then the need to look elsewhere. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Great to see posters second guessing Perez and why what he's suggesting might not work.  Given his input and success to date, let's just sit back and watch him go.  

I have no doubt Eric can achieve his goals and make his NA teams a success in the terms he's set out, and of course he derserves great credit for his passion for rugby league and the entrepreneurial zeal he's shown.

I just still have grave doubts his goals coincide with my goal for a thriving British rugby league. We shall see.

So I will continue to both watch, enjoy and indeed cheer for the Wolfpack, which I do, while at the same time monitoring developments with great scrutiny to see that the best players aren't being sucked out of our game and viable British clubs aren't demoted to promote cash rich overseas teams. 

I hope the RFL do the same.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, I've always hoped for the game to explode somewhere new. After all, it is what happened with most sports in the late 19th Century. The last time it happened to RL was PNG and before that France in the 1930s. 

It's very early days and I'm not going to get my hopes up but there does appear to be a chance with Canada and North America. For a time it looked like Russia could start something but sadly that ended in failure. 

What I like about Perez is that he is evangelical about the game like people over here used to be. We're like Communists in Soviet Russia in the 1980s, we say the old slogans but few people really believe them anymore. 

Just now, Plan of Attack said:

Withe a bit of luck he might set 12 teams up and they can all play in their own league instead of causing chaos in ours after all any one can win championship 1 with a budget of 1.8million when all the other teams have built on a budget of 1/10th of that:rtfm:

If they make a lot of money you might not want to cut them loose.

1 minute ago, Copa said:

If they make a lot of money you might not want to cut them loose.

They might make a lot of money but you can bet the other 11 teams will see sod all of it, if they bring >50 fans to Craven park, the Shay,Spotlands, Post office road (or whatever it is called nowadays) ETC next year I will be very surprised

2 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

They might make a lot of money but you can bet the other 11 teams will see sod all of it, if they bring >50 fans to Craven park, the Shay,Spotlands, Post office road (or whatever it is called nowadays) ETC next year I will be very surprised

It's always about the away fans!

I'm pretty sure most of the northern clubs in your league don't bring 50.

8 minutes ago, Plan of Attack said:

Most teams hosting the Wolfpack had increased attendance.

Regardless, why should a team bring any away fans at all? A club should not be too dependent on another clubs ability to encourage their fans to travel.

If North American teams do start bringing in serious coin this will indicate that there must be great opportunities for UK based clubs to leverage. 

att. Moderators

Can we have this merged with the existing thread from earlier today, please?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

for me Hamilton looks a logical step as he expands the area downwards towards the usa and then of course goes for Boston the most northerly big city in the usa. gradual expansion . perhaps new York and Detroit the next 2 .

you get major cities all in American terms within a small area . add another 3 teams possibly Washington Chicago and another Canadian team and you have the first conference set up . you can move on from there  and expand the game 

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

20 minutes ago, southstand loiner said:

for me Hamilton looks a logical step as he expands the area downwards towards the usa and then of course goes for Boston the most northerly big city in the usa. gradual expansion . perhaps new York and Detroit the next 2 .

you get major cities all in American terms within a small area . add another 3 teams possibly Washington Chicago and another Canadian team and you have the first conference set up . you can move on from there  and expand the game 

Detroit? Wtf? I would seriously hope not 

Archived