Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Farmduck

Obituary Thread - 2018

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

William Goldman who won Oscars for writing Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and All the Presidents Men 

Also Marathon Man and The Princess Bride - two brilliant movies that everyone should see at least once in their lives.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

12 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Newsreader Richard Baker, a familiar face for many a year.

Very sad . He was one of the giants of news broadcasting ... I still think of ‘ there’s nothing like a dame ‘ first n foremost though !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ullman said:

My dad booked him for a concert, years ago, as he had a performing side to his life too. An evening of light music, poetry and humour with just him and the pianist Raphael Terroni. A very enjoyable evening.

• Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

another great voice of animations gone (mary, mungo and midge)

• Like 3

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Actor John Bluthal, who you have probably seen in a lot of things, but principally 'The Vicar of Dibley'.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:35 PM, Futtocks said:

Stan Lee - good innings. And it is heartening that he became so famous that he could actually do cameo appearances that were parodies of his own cameo appearances in TV/movies.

I d never heard of him until he appeared on The Big Bang Theory!

20 hours ago, Ullman said:

Just looked up an old episode of Mary Mungo & Midge on YT. Can remember watching that with my Mum. I think I got something in my eye actually ?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Sad to learn of the passing of Roy Bailey, a singer I much admired and enjoyed the privilige of meeting and watching a number of times.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/nov/20/roy-bailey-obituary?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR2_8rl1OQVq8306cXWCPvKTF4e7m6s9RCWWfwrhVkzMrLtvaSiO7VKFRkk

I'm sorry to hear the news too.

Roy was the Chair of the Faculty of Social Studies at Sheffield Polytechnic/Hallam University when I was a lecturer there and I spent a short time on the Faculty Board myself.

In some ways Roy seemed to be quite reserved and perhaps a little shy. But perhaps that was just with me.

I knew he was a famous performer but I hadn't realised quite how famous he was until I read that Guardian article.

RIP Baroness Trumpington.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

RIP Harry Leslie Smith.

• Sad 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

George Bush the elder.

A seriously underestimated politician who delivered Republican values with a human heart behind them. He was unlucky to be a quiet man following Reagan and then going up against Clinton. 

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

1 hour ago, ckn said:

A seriously underestimated politician who delivered Republican values with a human heart behind them. He was unlucky to be a quiet man following Reagan and then going up against Clinton. 

Indeed . And on top of that president statesmen like him look a hundred times better now when you look at what’s in charge 

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . And on top of that president statesmen like him look a hundred times better now when you look at what’s in charge 

Mind you, you could have said that of Gerald Ford, compared to the current incumbent.

Bush, as various comments I've heard today remind me, was someone who could reach across the party divide to encourage consensus and co-operation where possible, like a professional politician, instead of damning and demonising anyone who held differing opinions.

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Mind you, you could have said that of Gerald Ford, compared to the current incumbent.

Bush, as various comments I've heard today remind me, was someone who could reach across the party divide to encourage consensus and co-operation where possible, like a professional politician, instead of damning and demonising anyone who held differing opinions.

Yes professional is how I’d put it . He had the grounding , the experience step by step and the expertise by the time he got the top job . From the ‘ old school ‘ Republican Party 

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Yes professional is how I’d put it . He had the grounding , the experience step by step and the expertise by the time he got the top job . From the ‘ old school ‘ Republican Party 

With the courage to make the hard choices no matter how unpopular they may be.

“I do not like broccoli. And I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m President of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli!”

• Haha 1