Will Leeds break SL attendance record?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Some say the rhinos shouldn't even step foot in south Leeds.  I'm a LUFC fan and know a fair few Leeds based LUFC fans who hate the rhinos, don't know why.

I am one of them. LUFC season ticket holder, Yorkshire cricket member, Hunslet season ticket holder. Back in the day it was unheard of if you were from south of the river to support Leeds RL. My grandad drilled it into me from an early age to never go North of the river and support them. He always said 'I support two teams at Rugby. Hunslet, and whoever Leeds are playing'. Not many of us left now but i wouldnt have it any other way. Bradford away for me on Sunday is the only game that matters this weekend. All the lads i go to ER with went to the bar at half time when they paraded the trophy round earlier in the season. 

35 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Some say the rhinos shouldn't even step foot in south Leeds.  I'm a LUFC fan and know a fair few Leeds based LUFC fans who hate the rhinos, don't know why.

maybe you would if you had another rl club and a professional Football club in your city 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

35 minutes ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

Always find that strange when people say Leeds Rhinos shouldn't play in south Leeds, I know it's to do with Hunslet but surely Leeds should be able to play wherever they want in Leeds.

Not all LUFC fans are Rhinos fans. LUFC pretty much covers Cas and wakie, I know some Bulls fans who support LUFC 

33 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Always find that strange when people say Leeds Rhinos shouldn't play in south Leeds, I know it's to do with Hunslet but surely Leeds should be able to play wherever they want in Leeds.

Not all LUFC fans are Rhinos fans. LUFC pretty much covers Cas and wakie, I know some Bulls fans who support LUFC 

Yeah there are Leeds United fans in just about every West Yorkshire town and village.  My mate's a Bulls fan from Bingley who supports Leeds United 

4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Every game should be an event. We need people to be excited about the game. There is no purity or moral rectitude in us just waiting for people to turn up. We need to go out and get them.

Couldnt agree more. Im not so sure why people are so quick to just dismiss it as just another SL game. 

Saracens host games at Wembley in front of up to 80k and that is just another Premiership game.

29 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Looking pretty good for tomorrow night, should be a good atmosphere, I'd expect the East and North stands to be sold out tomorrow, interesting to see how many Cas bring and how many will be in the West Stand

IMG_1952.JPG

As of this morning Cas had 500 tickets left. If the full south stand is open that’s about 4000.

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Couldnt agree more. Im not so sure why people are so quick to just dismiss it as just another SL game. 

Saracens host games at Wembley in front of up to 80k and that is just another Premiership game.

They were reportedly losing money hand over fist for those hence this weekends equivalent game being at the Olympic Stadium, to be fair.

Officially it's just another game, with 2pts at stake whether it's Castleford or any other team...the difference is the venue that's all.

i will make a subjective assessment after the game on whether it was "just another game" or a game worth remembering....

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I agree - it is just a weekly round game. If it got made into an 'event' then even if it did break the record it wouldn't feel right IMO. Pretty sure when the Wigan v Saints record was made it was just because it had the potential to be a great game between 2 big rivals. No need for additional advertising/attractions. 

Which 2 teams were in last year's super league grand final?

1 hour ago, East of the Moon said:

Officially it's just another game, with 2pts at stake whether it's Castleford or any other team...the difference is the venue that's all.

i will make a subjective assessment after the game on whether it was "just another game" or a game worth remembering....

Of course its just another game.

But this attitude is aleays there around things like Magic Weekend and allows miserable beggars to undermine it at every opportunity.

Tomorrow night is a Grand Final rematch between two local rivals in a major stadium with plenty going on.

Its a big event in any other sport wiyhout question. Hopefully the RL fans come out in force tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

They were reportedly losing money hand over fist for those hence this weekends equivalent game being at the Olympic Stadium, to be fair.

Yup, but the point isnt about business acumen, it was about people's willingness to get off their backsides.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yup, but the point isnt about business acumen, it was about people's willingness to get off their backsides.

Well no not necessarily. One of the reasons posited for them losing money was that far too many seats were being given away (a much larger proportion of potential income than will be at Elland Road) and it being a big day out for the sponsors. Also, when you have a ticket to an event anyway then you're much more likely to go. 

Regardless I expect there to be a very large crowd tomorrow pushing past 25k.

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Well no not necessarily. One of the reasons posited for them losing money was that far too many seats were being given away (a much larger proportion of potential income than will be at Elland Road) and it being a big day out for the sponsors. Also, when you have a ticket to an event anyway then you're much more likely to go. 

Regardless I expect there to be a very large crowd tomorrow pushing past 25k.

But that is business acumen. Nobody is saying this game should be pushing 80k like Saracens do, just that less than 20k tickets sold with 48hrs to go could be better.

And a lot of what you hear is 'its just another game'. 

15 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

If an RL TOWN the size of Wigan can market a one-off regular season, non derby game as an event and get 20k+ Leeds should easily be able to get 30k+ considering the size of Leeds and surrounding areas.  Poor effort imo.

Leeds isn't an 'RL town' that's the point- it has RL fans in the city but they are not in any kind of majority. There are 'heartland' areas within the city ( I live in one of them) but as a city overall it's the same as Manchester/Liverpool - football. Albeit with a much worse team. I dare say Leeds doesn't have many more RL fans than Wigan and certainly less than in Hull.

You can call it a poor effort all you want - Leeds are doing just fine attendance wise in general. There's a fair few clubs who could do with looking into why they got such poor crowds - maybe they can start selling their games as 'events'. This was about breaking a regular season game attendance record which can't be done at Headingley even when completed, so if it does create a new record tonight how can that not been seen as a good effort? 

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Of course its just another game.

But this attitude is aleays there around things like Magic Weekend and allows miserable beggars to undermine it at every opportunity.

Tomorrow night is a Grand Final rematch between two local rivals in a major stadium with plenty going on.

Its a big event in any other sport wiyhout question. Hopefully the RL fans come out in force tomorrow.

To be clear on my opinion - i'm not saying the game itself isn't a big event - on the contrary it's massive! 

I'm referring to the fact that because the game is the attraction all the other 'extras' like you get at magic aren't needed, like some people are suggesting. 

We shouldn't be comparing it to another sport taking big games to stadiums such as Wembley or Olympic Stadium. Elland Road does not hold any prestige for Leeds fans - it is a tired, uncomfortable stadium. Many Leeds fans will also have been there many times to watch football. For a WCC match, the marketers could have worked their magic to sell it as an event. It's more difficult for a general league match. Yes they could have done more - I wasn't aware what was going on around the ground before a couple of days ago. But it doesn't change the fact that the stadium itself won't entice people. In fact it will put many off as it's uncomfortable, has little in the way of decent bars around and is not the easiest to get to on public transport.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Leeds isn't an 'RL town' that's the point- it has RL fans in the city but they are not in any kind of majority. There are 'heartland' areas within the city ( I live in one of them) but as a city overall it's the same as Manchester/Liverpool - football. Albeit with a much worse team. I dare say Leeds doesn't have many more RL fans than Wigan and certainly less than in Hull.

You can call it a poor effort all you want - Leeds are doing just fine attendance wise in general. There's a fair few clubs who could do with looking into why they got such poor crowds - maybe they can start selling their games as 'events'. This was about breaking a regular season game attendance record which can't be done at Headingley even when completed, so if it does create a new record tonight how can that not been seen as a good effort? 

Regardless of this match, Leeds look like setting a record for the average attendance for a SL season.  Which is far more important IMO.

I agree, Leeds are doing great.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't live in Leeds at present so I notice things when I return home . Since the demise of Leeds United and the rise of Leeds "Rhinos" although I don't attend Leeds united games I see the fans in town and they seem mostly middle aged , whereas Leeds Rhinos I notice lots of young families and young adults wearing the colours . Of course I agree though since the Revie era and the demise of Hunslet and Bramley Leeds is a football city even though Rhinos have the highest attendance average. When people talk of Wigan and St Helens they think RL ,When people talk of Leeds think football .theres the difference 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived