Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleD

Transfer Fees

Recommended Posts

Why are transfer fees more commonplace in impoverished Super League but a rarity in cash rich NRL?

Does promotion/relegation create more of a need for this over here, whereas in NRL they'd take a longer term view?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the culture, nothing more nothing less.

The NFL is the richest sporting competition in the world but doesn't have transfer fees. Same with NBA, MLB etc.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Just the culture, nothing more nothing less.

The NFL is the richest sporting competition in the world but doesn't have transfer fees. Same with NBA, MLB etc.. 

But doesn't the NFL have a draft system so won't allow transfer fees? Don't know about the other 2 recreational sports.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Lack of enough players of the required quality is my guess.

I do think there's something in that! Less and less decent players for the number of teams - hence the crazy talk about reducing the league.

NRL clubs have systems in place to develop their own players - they've never needed to pay transfer fees and so its never been part of their culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Why are transfer fees more commonplace in impoverished Super League but a rarity in cash rich NRL?

Does promotion/relegation create more of a need for this over here, whereas in NRL they'd take a longer term view?

I once asked this on the Aussie forum!  Something to do with Aussie law apparently, have a read:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/why-no-transfer-fees-in-nrl.463516/

 

Really infuriates me though.  As you get clubs in the poorer areas (Penrith, Newcastle, Parramatta) producing the talent then the like of Roosters (not producing any talent) walking in and signing whoever they want, without having to pay a transfer fee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, paulwalker71 said:

I do think there's something in that! Less and less decent players for the number of teams - hence the crazy talk about reducing the league.

NRL clubs have systems in place to develop their own players - they've never needed to pay transfer fees and so its never been part of their culture.

I really do not believe for a moment that that is the reason.

I went through the clubs accounts on their annual reports.  It makes it pretty clear what they need more of and it is not players.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 2:26 AM, langpark said:

I once asked this on the Aussie forum!  Something to do with Aussie law apparently, have a read:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/why-no-transfer-fees-in-nrl.463516/

 

Really infuriates me though.  As you get clubs in the poorer areas (Penrith, Newcastle, Parramatta) producing the talent then the like of Roosters (not producing any talent) walking in and signing whoever they want, without having to pay a transfer fee!

The restraint of trade issues in the Tutty case had nothing to do with transfer fees.

Clubs like Penrith aren't poor. Parramatta Leagues Club pulled in $76 million in 2016 and gave the Eels $9 million. Penrith's club is even richer.

Nobody has to pay a transfer fee when players are off contract. Look at the players Easts signed this year  - Cronk and Tedesco were both off contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2018 at 8:12 PM, marklaspalmas said:

What a throwback thread. It's almost as if Bosman never existed....??

Yeah that’s really killed the transfer market stone dead in football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

It did in RL.

Were they ever really that common you got a few big ones a year but nothing major.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Were they ever really that common you got a few big ones a year but nothing major.  

Related image


                                                  "Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

                                   but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2018 at 12:25 PM, DoubleD said:

But doesn't the NFL have a draft system so won't allow transfer fees? Don't know about the other 2 recreational sports.......

Nba does have a draft system, that's for new players coming into the league though.

Their pay structure is done under a collective bargaining agreement. Essentially transfers(trades) take place on a salary for salary basis to, stay under their salary cap, it's all about managing assets for them. Certainly numbers on paper.

 

Sometimes is players plus draft picks if they really want to sign somebody, on vary rare occasions you do see money getting sent but I think thats for low level contracts.

 

It's a completely different business model, which always makes me chuckle when you hear rl fans say, let's introduce a draft like the do in American sports. It's a totally foreign set up, with all sports teams being franchises and having no responsiblility for junior development.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Not quite sure what you are talking about. Before Bosman virtually every single transfer involved a fee.

Maybe my memory isn’t as good as yours then as I don’t remember it that way. Bosman only comes into play when a player is out of contract so doesn’t alter the way contracted players are transferred. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Maybe my memory isn’t as good as yours then as I don’t remember it that way. Bosman only comes into play when a player is out of contract so doesn’t alter the way contracted players are transferred. 

Before Bosman it was the "Retain and transfer" system so regardless of any contracts (there weren't many in the old days, most were on match payments) the club always retained a player's registration. Transferring that registration cost money. Every year Fev (and every other club I imagine) would have their squad, and a transfer list with the appropraite fee (to be negiotiated of course). Some players left on a "free transfer" but not many.

Then Bosman, freedom of contract etc. Now every player has a contract. Most outsid ethe top flight are for one or two years max. So transfer fees basically died in RL, except for the odd unusual situation where a club really feels the need to get hold of a player before his contract is up. Fielden to Wigan was the last big one I remember. Westerman perhaps?

Otherwise it's all the usual horse-trading (Hardaker, Watts, whoever) and we hardly get to hear of transfer fees at all. Pre 1995 it was all the rage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...