Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They probably deserved it, in truth. They had scored the 'try of the century' and Meninga missed a few easy goals.

What struck me about watching that was the space available compared to the modern game. GB had a remarkably passive defence.   

But the defence was not bolstered by incessant interchanges keeping rotation of fresh player's, you are not judging like for like, and the game was more expansive back then, it was the era of Daryl Powell who has his Cas team playing in much the same way in offense as back then, even with numerous interchanges Cas have made a lot of modern defenses look passive.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually watching a load of old Lions games on youtube over the weekend. Still painful viewing.

Managed the 1st half of the Sydney thumping from 2002.

Also managed to find the Rest of the world Vs Australia from 97 (SL War era) which was interesting as i'd never seen any footage from the game, though remember it happening at the time. ROW team featured English players Jason Robinson, Gary Connolly, Lee Jackson and Harvey Howard, all of who had signed contracts with the ARL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

But the defence was not bolstered by incessant interchanges keeping rotation of fresh player's, you are not judging like for like, and the game was more expansive back then, it was the era of Daryl Powell who has his Cas team playing in much the same way in offense as back then, even with numerous interchanges Cas have made a lot of modern defenses look passive.

Sure, but the Aussie defence was more like we see now. Up as a unit, line speed etc. 

Fitness no doubt played a part but I suspect the Aussies were fitter than GB because they got fit.

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Sure, but the Aussie defence was more like we see now. Up as a unit, line speed etc. 

Fitness no doubt played a part but I suspect the Aussies were fitter than GB because they got fit.

Can't disagree with that, it is all down to domestic Leagues they play in, the Aussies need to be fitter than their counterparts over here due to the intensity and speed of their game compared to ours.

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Nosey Parker reports the tour will consist of a test against New Zealand, a second test in NZ against either Tonga, Fiji or Samoa, three games against NZ club sides (probably not the Warriors) and a test in PNG. No Australian games at all...

NRL.com had this from early in September https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/04/tonga-to-play-kangaroos-and-kiwis-in-boost-to-international-game/ :

"In addition to the Tests against the Kangaroos and Kiwis, Tonga may feature on the itinerary for the Great Britain Lions tour at the end of next season as RFL officials have made it known they want to play at least one Pacific nation as well as Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea." 

~~~

Not playing against Australia would make no sense. Would the tour even make money?

7 minutes ago, Abicus said:

NRL.com had this from early in September https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/04/tonga-to-play-kangaroos-and-kiwis-in-boost-to-international-game/ :

"In addition to the Tests against the Kangaroos and Kiwis, Tonga may feature on the itinerary for the Great Britain Lions tour at the end of next season as RFL officials have made it known they want to play at least one Pacific nation as well as Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea." 

~~~

Not playing against Australia would make no sense. Would the tour even make money?

Apparently the Aussies would rather play Samoa. 

Underwhelming to say the least 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

You have to question what is the point of a Lions tour with no Australian leg. It would be like the Aussies only touring France.

What's the point of the Lions tour when a large percentage of UK RL followers couldn't give a #### about GB. Of course I will support it but it is a ridiculously backward step. Sometimes we come across like the BDO darts - caught in a time warp!

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What's the point of the Lions tour when a large percentage of UK RL followers couldn't give a #### about GB. Of course I will support it but it is a ridiculously backward step. Sometimes we come across like the BDO darts - caught in a time warp!

I don’t see it as a backward step for reasons stated on other recent threads, but it’s very disappointing to read there will be not even a single test vs Australia.

That said, the players will enjoy a tour of New Zealand with a stopover in PNG and players rarely get mentioned in these debates.

52 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Nosey Parker reports the tour will consist of a test against New Zealand, a second test in NZ against either Tonga, Fiji or Samoa, three games against NZ club sides (probably not the Warriors) and a test in PNG. No Australian games at all...

Bring back the ashes tours they said ?

Just now, Scubby said:

Stop it now and just send England. It is really not worth the investment playing pointless club sides. Who are all the people calling for this - I am yet to meet more than the odd few?

Should never have got to this stage. All over a bloody shirt

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I don’t see it as a backward step for reasons stated on other recent threads, but it’s very disappointing to read there will be not even a single test vs Australia.

That said, the players will enjoy a tour of New Zealand with a stopover in PNG and players rarely get mentioned in these debates.

Or half of them might get flown home for cost cutting reasons like the last GB tour that had no Australian involvement?

Waiting for some official news before I get to upset. But this would be a disaster, atleast you guys will get to watch some test matches, Australia arent even palying a home test this year and I have no idea what they will do next year if there not playing the Lions

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I like the three tests that have been proposed (especially if it was Tonga in Auckland). Just would want to add a game against Australia too.

I'm not so bothered about games against the NZ club sides, but I guess if you're playing e.g. Tonga in NZ, it's a nice gesture to say thanks for hosting the match, by playing some of their club teams.

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I like the three tests that have been proposed (especially if it was Tonga in Auckland). Just would want to add a game against Australia too.

I'm not so bothered about games against the NZ club sides, but I guess if you're playing e.g. Tonga in NZ, it's a nice gesture to say thanks for hosting the match, by playing some of their club teams.

20 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

None of that will happen then 

21 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Odd that, as Ralph Rimmer was only saying on Backchat the other week how he was due to be chatting to Todd Greenberg about 'games in Australia' on the Lions Tour. He wasn't actually specific other than it wouldn't be an Ashes series. Martyn Sadler suggested a one off, but it wasn't picked up on. 

Brings back memories of the 1996 Lions Tour of NZ, PNG and Fiji which was due to visit Australia but never did. That one went really well.....

Archived