Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add BTW

It was only a few months ago that everyone agreed that in 2019 international RL would be scheduled as such

World 9s

2019 pacific championship (Inc NZ) starting mid season,continuing at the end of the season

GB tour to Australia

Everyone agreed this at the RLIF meeting in Singapore.

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

If the Aussies aren't bothered then why should we be?

If we can play matches against the likes of Tonga, then I'd be fine with that. The semi-final last year was an incredible match, a full crowd which was a sea of red and sounded a magnificent atmosphere. Two teams who actually want to play.

Or, we could play Australia in front of a half-empty ANZ Stadium against a side that don't want to be there and an apathetic audience.

21 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Or, we could play Australia in front of a half-empty ANZ Stadium against a side that don't want to be there and an apathetic audience.

Just play in a smaller stadium then. Or, if there's little interest from fans in NSW or Queensland, how about try Perth instead? They're taking origin there next year, so maybe an international match would be popular there too.

Just play in a smaller stadium then. Or, if there's little interest from fans in NSW or Queensland, how about try Perth instead? They're taking origin there next year, so maybe an international match would be popular there too.

43 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'll third that

Why can't Australia play a "warm up" test against Samoa prior to a 3 test Series against GB?

Not rocket science is it?

GB could play tonga,for example, at the same time,as our "warm up"...

Tonga & Samoa would then go on to the planned pacific championship..

OLDHAM RLFC

45 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Why can't Australia play a "warm up" test against Samoa prior to a 3 test Series against GB?

Not rocket science is it?

GB could play tonga,for example, at the same time,as our "warm up"...

Tonga & Samoa would then go on to the planned pacific championship..

I'd want to play NZ too, especially if we were playing Tonga in Auckland, and considering that NZ have bothered to come and play us three times this autumn. Plus it would be good to play Papua New Guinea as well. When you have those three tests already, I don't think it's then possible to play Australia three times. I'd be happy just to play them once next year, and then three times at home in 2020 for the Ashes. If, and I know it's a big IF, we could somehow win that series in 2020, then I imagine the interest in a three match series in Australia in 2022 or whenever, would be a lot higher.

If they're not playing against Australia why don't they play NZ as planned, a couple of tests against a combined Pacific Islands side and maybe 2 or 3 individual islands such as PNG and Tonga.

That would definitely be worth watching

31 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

If they're not playing against Australia why don't they play NZ as planned, a couple of tests against a combined Pacific Islands side and maybe 2 or 3 individual islands such as PNG and Tonga.

That would definitely be worth watching

I'd enjoy something similar to that. I would go for 3 test series against NZ for Baskerville Shield and single games against Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG. I would love to see the 30,000 crowd in Auckland for the Tonga game again and it would be great if the other 3 were played in their actual countries. Each one of Fiji, Samoa and PNG have 15,000 capacity grounds which could definitely be filled, probably get more for those games than NZ games as well. 

Great series with some interesting venues to visit instead of the same boring places in Aus with all them games probably being quite competitive. 7 games, longer than these so called NZ tours in recent years but not so long that clubs would be reluctant to release players cos they might get injured. Get all the games on BBC which hopefully wouldnt be a problem cos it would be in the morning and wouldn't clash with something important like Bargain C###. 

Just watched the whole of 1st test of Kangaroo Tour in 1990 and highlights of 1st test from 1994.  Truly fantastic games, flowing, fast, inventive rugby, so much more attractive than what we see now, really helped by the ref letting a lot more go and allowing the game to just keep going rather than stopping it every two seconds.  Almost every try runs from breaking line, offloads, amazing footwork.  52,000 at the 1990 game an 57,000 at the 1994 game, fantastic crowd, fantastic atmosphere, I don't reckon we will see crowds like that again for individual tests.

Really getting me excited for the upcoming games against NZ and I must say I was rather cynical about bring GB back but after watching them a bit it makes me really want to see that iconic kit again, I'm certainly gonna be wearing my '94 GB jersey at the NZ games! :) 

1990 Test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT0nOGRJUBY

1994 Test Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu67CsfrMzY

Well I'm sorted.... Family off on tour next October and November to Sydney,Auckland, Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne and Woollongong. 

If the RFL get around to sorting out some kind of tour I can maybe fit a game or two in if they can confirm opposition and venues before Halloween. Bonfire night will be to late. 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Screw the Aussies. 

Lions Princes 13 (I.e all but play off players) v PNG Port Moresby 13th Oct

Lions Princes 13 v Fiji Suva 19th Oct

Lions v club side wellington 22nd oct

Lions v Pacific islands wellington 26th Oct

Lions v Tonga hamilton 30th Oct

Lions v Pacific Islands hamilton 2nd Nov

Lions v Samoa auckland 6th Nov

Lions v Auckland  9th Nov

Lions v Pacific islands Auckland 16th Nov

England play NZ for the Baskerville shield this year. GB playing for it next year would be ridiculous

You live in a dream world lad

OLDHAM RLFC

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just watched the whole of 1st test of Kangaroo Tour in 1990 and highlights of 1st test from 1994.

I'm the same in that I love watching those two games, as well as the 1992 world cup final and the 2nd test from 1990 at Old Trafford. It was the 1990 series that got me interested in RL. It's not because it was GB, but just that they were great matches and great occasions. Plus, I think sport seems even more special when you're young.

I'd definitely play the following teams - once only, and in whatever order is most sensible:

PNG (Port Moresby)

Tonga (Auckland)

NZ (wherever in NZ they wanted to play)

Aus (in Perth, if NSW and Queensland don't want us)

I'm not sure about the rest (club teams, midweek matches, maybe Fiji or Samoa, etc.)

Archived