Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JohnM

Health update.

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Bearman said:

I am now bionic.

i have had a pacemaker fitted this morning.  My pulse rate is up to a healthy 60 beats a minute. It hasn’t been this fast since someone told me it was my turn to get the beer in🤣

Good stuff.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2019 at 23:16, Bearman said:

I was told yesterday that I need a pacemaker due to my AF.

I have to have another check up to see if my heart has been further historically damaged by the AF. This will determine if I need 1 or 2 electrodes on the gizmo.

There is a 3 months waiting list for the procedure to implant which ever is decided. I get extremely tired since my stroke and I am hoping that it gives me a bit of get up and go.

Other than that I am ok, but I know my speech isnt quite right as I now stumble over occasional words.

I don't know if it was just me, but at the World Athletics Championships, I did notice Michael Johnson's speech did slur a bit later in the evening, as he got tired. I hope people give you time to speak.

  • Like 1

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it sees to have flown by, but had my 6th cycle of Chemo yesterday. Saw one of my Oncology team(although not my main Oncologist) and the plan is to have a scan and see what its like in there and carry on with the chemo! Hoping they might suggest a break until after the scan but, nope back on the treadmill in a couple of weeks.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gray1967 said:

Well it sees to have flown by, but had my 6th cycle of Chemo yesterday. Saw one of my Oncology team(although not my main Oncologist) and the plan is to have a scan and see what its like in there and carry on with the chemo! Hoping they might suggest a break until after the scan but, nope back on the treadmill in a couple of weeks.

Hang in there, Gray. Good luck!

  • Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2019 at 09:34, Bleep1673 said:

I don't know if it was just me, but at the World Athletics Championships, I did notice Michael Johnson's speech did slur a bit later in the evening, as he got tired. I hope people give you time to speak.

Overall, he looks like he's recovered pretty well from his stroke, but he was working pretty long shifts at the World Athletics.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting a new Drug that is still to get the Green light in Europe. Its being shipped in from USA, where its just got the OK. Very grateful that my Onkologist cares so much that she goes was beyond just doing her Job. She looks at every possibility and has a Nummer of Plans now for the Future. Blood Checks showing Cancer has been hit hard by Chemo had in summer.

The Myeloma Cancer attacks the Bones leaving them like swiss cheese. Sadly I have more fractures in spine this week and am currently in hospital as pain so much and need wheelchair to get around. Hope that in time pain better and can walk. Have to keep fighting und stay positiv. Lucky many friends around world keep me positiv with messages, falls and visits etc.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I am getting a new Drug that is still to get the Green light in Europe. Its being shipped in from USA, where its just got the OK. Very grateful that my Onkologist cares so much that she goes was beyond just doing her Job. She looks at every possibility and has a Nummer of Plans now for the Future. Blood Checks showing Cancer has been hit hard by Chemo had in summer.

The Myeloma Cancer attacks the Bones leaving them like swiss cheese. Sadly I have more fractures in spine this week and am currently in hospital as pain so much and need wheelchair to get around. Hope that in time pain better and can walk. Have to keep fighting und stay positiv. Lucky many friends around world keep me positiv with messages, falls and visits etc.

We are all thinking of you LRL, posts like yours and others on here put so many of our so called "problems" into perspective. 
I hope the new drug has a positive result, it sounds like your doctor is pushing the boundaries in what can be offered and all the better for that. It's painfully difficult writing anything that doesn't sound like a facebook inspirational meme in these situations but it sounds as if you are lucky to have good friends and family around you and sometimes that's all you can ask for.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I am getting a new Drug that is still to get the Green light in Europe. Its being shipped in from USA, where its just got the OK. Very grateful that my Onkologist cares so much that she goes was beyond just doing her Job. She looks at every possibility and has a Nummer of Plans now for the Future. Blood Checks showing Cancer has been hit hard by Chemo had in summer.

The Myeloma Cancer attacks the Bones leaving them like swiss cheese. Sadly I have more fractures in spine this week and am currently in hospital as pain so much and need wheelchair to get around. Hope that in time pain better and can walk. Have to keep fighting und stay positiv. Lucky many friends around world keep me positiv with messages, falls and visits etc.

Fingers crossed for you mate.

  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadow said:

We are all thinking of you LRL, posts like yours and others on here put so many of our so called "problems" into perspective. 
I hope the new drug has a positive result, it sounds like your doctor is pushing the boundaries in what can be offered and all the better for that. It's painfully difficult writing anything that doesn't sound like a facebook inspirational meme in these situations but it sounds as if you are lucky to have good friends and family around you and sometimes that's all you can ask for.

Ta mate. Yes I am lucky with friends and family. Many people dont have that support ,especially many pensioners with illnesses. I am very lucky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been asked to go in to a randomised 4 year drug trial. 50/50 With a placebo and a well tolerated diabetes drug. It seems I am a candidate as I do not have diabetes but I have had a stroke. It seems one of the side effects of people using the diabetes drug is a much reduced incidence of strokes.

At a recent check up it seems I have shrunk from always being 6ft to down to 5'11 and 1/2. Now a few weeks on I am down to 5'11"! Of course the follow up of that is as I get shorter my BMI goes up.  To me, it just goes to prove that I nave never been over weight I  just been under height😎.

I have been offered a taxi to and back to the hosp for all of my appointments (24 over 4 years)  but I live on a bus route to the hospital with a free pass so I told them no. I was offered a meal for two on days when I have to attend. The Doctor was at pains to point out that big Pharma were footing the bill and I should go to the local pub and treat the boss to a slap up meal each time on them. I might do that as the NHS is not paying.

 

 

  • Like 6

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2019 at 10:12, Dave T said:

A quick visit to the docs last week due to feeling under the weather - something I had put down to a 'virus' showed that I have an irregular heartbeat (Atrial Fibrilliation). 

Within 12 hours I had had 2 ECG tests, blood tests, chest x-ray, blood-thinning medication prescribed and had seen two doctors. Brilliant NHS, I didn't have to pay a penny on the day, not even to park, or for my prescription.

I now have an appointment with a Cardiologist who will inspect me further, but at the moment I am just feeling a little crappy and fatigued. Fingers crossed it can be fixed (or fixes itself) rather than be on medication for the rest of my life. 

So in for a Cardio version this morning. Slightly longer than the 12 week expected wait, but pleased to get seen this side of Christmas. 

Speak later folks. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speak later? We do hope so!! 

I have permanent AF, one of the side effects is CBA. Can't be Arsed syndrome, though that has subsided substantially as my recovery from heart valve replacement continues. 

For everyone: keep a finger on your pulse and do not ignore any irregularities.

  • Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Speak later? We do hope so!! 

I have permanent AF, one of the side effects is CBA. Can't be Arsed syndrome, though that has subsided substantially as my recovery from heart valve replacement continues. 

For everyone: keep a finger on your pulse and do not ignore any irregularities.

All the best, John. 


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

All the best, John. 

Seconded.


Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

So in for a Cardio version this morning. Slightly longer than the 12 week expected wait, but pleased to get seen this side of Christmas. 

Speak later folks. 

Happy to say I'm back. Took the maximum 3 shocks but appears to have worked thankfully. 

Appointment with Heart Specialist in a few weeks to monitor and discuss future. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Happy to say I'm back. Took the maximum 3 shocks but appears to have worked thankfully. 

Appointment with Heart Specialist in a few weeks to monitor and discuss future. 

You will be fine!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

So in for a Cardio version this morning. Slightly longer than the 12 week expected wait, but pleased to get seen this side of Christmas. 

Speak later folks. 

You'll be fine. Itchy patch on your back for a few days and back to normal.

Its remembering to take all the drugs each morning I find hardest these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Happy to say I'm back. Took the maximum 3 shocks but appears to have worked thankfully. 

Appointment with Heart Specialist in a few weeks to monitor and discuss future. 

Great news.

Great excuse to curl up on the sofa and doze through some box sets for the afternoon.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadow said:

You'll be fine. Itchy patch on your back for a few days and back to normal.

Its remembering to take all the drugs each morning I find hardest these days

Do you eat cereal, or something else each morning? I find keeping the drugs by the porridge helps me remember to take them..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gland you are back with us, Dave T. 👍👍👍  Can you tell a difference in your heartbeat already? 

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, longboard said:

Do you eat cereal, or something else each morning? I find keeping the drugs by the porridge helps me remember to take them..........

In a pot by my side of the bed to be consumed with the morning tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Gland you are back with us, Dave T. 👍👍👍  Can you tell a difference in your heartbeat already? 

Thanks John, heart rate is now really slow so having to change my meds, but it is regular at least. 

Yet to feel the benefits as pretty wiped out tbh, and a fair bit of chest pain from the shocks. I suppose the experts saying to rest may be right!

Hope you're feeling well John. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Thanks John, heart rate is now really slow so having to change my meds, but it is regular at least. 

Yet to feel the benefits as pretty wiped out tbh, and a fair bit of chest pain from the shocks. I suppose the experts saying to rest may be right!

Hope you're feeling well John. 

Best wishes Dave.

I hope you have lots of living and enjoyment ahead.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Thanks John, heart rate is now really slow so having to change my meds, but it is regular at least. 

Yet to feel the benefits as pretty wiped out tbh, and a fair bit of chest pain from the shocks. I suppose the experts saying to rest may be right!

Hope you're feeling well John. 

When you say your heart beat is really slow, how slow?

Mine was in the mid 40's. Occasionally going below 40.  At that rate the alarm was sounding whilst I was being monitored in hospital.

It got to the point that an Anaethiasist started to panic and flatly refused to sedate me until I was fitted a pacemaker. When that was fitted the consultant was initially going to set it to 50pbm. When I told him that it would be flat out then he set it to 60bpm.

I cannot quantify it, but I just feel better at 60 bpm.

It is reckoned that a combination of AF, only being on Aspirin and my slow pulse caused my stroke.

IF IN DOUBT ASKTHE QUESTION

 

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bearman said:

When you say your heart beat is really slow, how slow?

Mine was in the mid 40's. Occasionally going below 40.  At that rate the alarm was sounding whilst I was being monitored in hospital.

It got to the point that an Anaethiasist started to panic and flatly refused to sedate me until I was fitted a pacemaker. When that was fitted the consultant was initially going to set it to 50pbm. When I told him that it would be flat out then he set it to 60bpm.

I cannot quantify it, but I just feel better at 60 bpm.

It is reckoned that a combination of AF, only being on Aspirin and my slow pulse caused my stroke.

IF IN DOUBT ASKTHE QUESTION

 

In the 40s. Before the procedure it was around 80 and that was on beta blockers. They have halved my dose so hopefully it'll settle, or maybe the beta blockers aren't needed any more. 

They seemed OK with it once the doc had been, but I'm gonna monitor it now on this lower dosage. Still on blood thinners too. 

Thanks mate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...