Dear Diary

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear diary, on Wednesday night last week, my wife renewed her passport on line.

On Friday, she posted her expiring passport to the required address.

Today, Tuesday, her new passport arrived.

At each stage, she received text messages : confirmation of  renewal application received, that her digital photo had been accepted, that her old passport arrived at passport office, renewal approved, passport dispatched.

59 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Dear diary, on Wednesday night last week, my wife renewed her passport on line.

On Friday, she posted her expiring passport to the required address.

Today, Tuesday, her new passport arrived.

At each stage, she received text messages : confirmation of  renewal application received, that her digital photo had been accepted, that her old passport arrived at passport office, renewal approved, passport dispatched.

Are you living abroad again. ?

To be fair I have never had a problem with the passport office, always found them helpful and efficient. I know this isn't the case for everyone.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

44 minutes ago, Padge said:

Are you living abroad again. ?

To be fair I have never had a problem with the passport office, always found them helpful and efficient. I know this isn't the case for everyone.

Well, Lincolnshire. ??

Heard all sorts of negative stories about passport renewal but the process was quick and easy, kept informed at every stage, and the whole process took under a week from start to finish. Mine, also done on line though it had to be sent to a different passport office,  is taking just one day more.  Great service and an IT system that seems to work, too!

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Well, Lincolnshire. ??

Heard all sorts of negative stories about passport renewal but the process was quick and easy, kept informed at every stage, and the whole process took under a week from start to finish. Mine, also done on line though it had to be sent to a different passport office,  is taking just one day more.  Great service and an IT system that seems to work, too!

Yup last time I renewed mine I was surprised how quick and easy it was.  Things working the way they should don't get enough headlines!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On the subject of things going well: Gatwick.

I've avoided that airport for years as it was by far the worst passenger experience airport in the UK for me.  Going out, it was miserable sod after miserable sod doing their damnedest to make passengers unhappy that they were off out the country.  Coming in, it was like a prison camp deliberately designed to be as grey and miserable as possible.

I hadn't been out through Gatwick since 2014 so had missed all the improvements.

On the way out, simplicity itself.  Online check-in, wonderfully easy bag drop, zero queue at security and the airport lounge is very well designed to cater for everyone who might use it.

On the way in, flawless baggage reclaim, zero immigration control queue because of the new e-Passport lanes and very easy exit from the airport.

It's completely changed how I think about the airport and whoever was responsible for designing the changes deserves all the credit they can get.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 hours ago, ckn said:

On the subject of things going well: Gatwick.

I've avoided that airport for years as it was by far the worst passenger experience airport in the UK for me.  Going out, it was miserable sod after miserable sod doing their damnedest to make passengers unhappy that they were off out the country.  Coming in, it was like a prison camp deliberately designed to be as grey and miserable as possible.

I hadn't been out through Gatwick since 2014 so had missed all the improvements.

On the way out, simplicity itself.  Online check-in, wonderfully easy bag drop, zero queue at security and the airport lounge is very well designed to cater for everyone who might use it.

On the way in, flawless baggage reclaim, zero immigration control queue because of the new e-Passport lanes and very easy exit from the airport.

It's completely changed how I think about the airport and whoever was responsible for designing the changes deserves all the credit they can get.

Yes. Gatwick is an example of an update working really well. Terminal 5 at Heathrow is the opposite.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Glyndebourne again today. £10 standing ticket for Massenet’s Cendrillon.

Yesterday I had a £10 standing ticket for Hastings v Greenwich. Given the numbers so far there’s a chance more people will have been at the Pilot Field yesterday than here today.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

50 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes. Gatwick is an example of an update working really well. Terminal 5 at Heathrow is the opposite.

I've deliberately not had that "pleasure"!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

I've deliberately not had that "pleasure"!

It’s got some lovely looking shops in departures. Everything else is awful.

On 10/25/2018 at 4:11 PM, Bleep1673 said:

Dear Diary. I have a CT scan booked for tomorrow night, and an urgent thoracic clinic appointment booked for next week as my GP thinks I may have lung cancer. I have never smoked, but most of my family did/do, & I have spent a lot of time in pubs before the ban.

I'm not worried, I'm shi**ing myself.

If it's confirmed, I will fight it. I'm 56, that's too young, I want to see my 9 year old graduate. Smile for me, I'm not on the Obituary link yet ?

I got a bit worried about the fact that my local hospital moved my appointment to Eastbourne on Monday, because the Doctor at the Conquest had gone on sick, when I got there they told me I was clear. I started crying with relief. Turns out the female Doctor is from from Frodsham & her husband is a Warrington fan.

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I got a bit worried about the fact that my local hospital moved my appointment to Eastbourne on Monday, because the Doctor at the Conquest had gone on sick, when I got there they told me I was clear. I started crying with relief. Turns out the female Doctor is from from Frodsham & her husband is a Warrington fan.

Delighted to hear that.

frodsham’s lovely 

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Can't say I've ever been.

I stayed in a hotel there once with a colleague.

the bar was filled with behind the scenes photos of a film production, turned out the cast of Robin Hood had stayed there.

”Who stayed in my room” asked my colleague, “That was Jorgen Prochnow” says the manager.

”What about mine” I asked 

“Oh that would be miss Thurman”

I don’t mention it much at all, every time I see him. 

Deleted.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Just updated my Trainline app. I can now get train times & prices in most of western Europe. The European prices don't seem right though, they seem to be 25% of British £/km

We went to Pompeii from Sorrento, 30 minutes on the train for €2.40.

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

We went from Naples, it was not expensive but the state of Naples Station would have made the worst of BR's look good.

12 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

& I bet the train was on time?

Just been playing with the app, and for €46 you can travel from Berlin to Vienna & there is at seat catering.

The train was old but on time, clean and excellent value for money.

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

We went from Naples, it was not expensive but the state of Naples Station would have made the worst of BR's look good.

We got the advice first time we were there to avoid Naples Station for many, many reasons.  Nothing I've heard since has made me want to change my mind.

38 minutes ago, ckn said:

The train was old but on time, clean and excellent value for money.

We got the advice first time we were there to avoid Naples Station for many, many reasons.  Nothing I've heard since has made me want to change my mind.

We got the same advice about Naples itself which only encouraged me more to want to take a look, I have to say it's best described as  'interesting' and not the sort of place to wander around on a dark night I would think.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Sintra to Lisbon return (30mins each way) plus unlimited tram travel (including the iconic old ones) around Lisbon for €10. Also included in the price was a ride in the Santa Justa Elevator. ??

santa-justa-elevator-in-lisbon.jpg

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Just finished listening into a teleconference that I needed to oversee but not contribute to.  One doctor said "We need to get a gypsy to address that", another "do we really need yet another gypsy wasting our money?"  My "oh dear" (content self-moderated) radar went up immediately and asked "gypsy?"  An exasperated sigh then "GP with special interests, GPWSI".

I'm still learning all the stuff around this job...

My right shin is bloody sore...

I woke up this morning and for the first time in my memory my left lower leg was "asleep" from the knee down.  I didn't notice when I got out of bed, I stood up still half asleep and my left leg just buckled.  In trying to stop the fall, I smashed my right leg into a bedside table and just stopped myself going through the mirrored front to our built in wardrobe.

I might be a bit more careful in future mornings!

Archived