Jump to content

Dear Diary


Recommended Posts

As there’s been grumblings about my misuse of the Uninteresting Trivial Facts thread, I thought why not a thread for the little observations in our life. 

So, my starter. 

I hate funerals, going to my third funeral of 2018 already today (Monday). 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

I was 66 on Saturday.More importantly I celebrated my first year of retirement.

What a wonderful year it has been.

I only wish I could have afforded to do it earlier.

Sat here at work at 1.30am and feeling envious. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Coming home from our umpteenth french holiday is crapola!

Hull and all its wonders that awaits us just doesn't have the same draw as we sail up the humber

Nor Slough compared Honfleur

And Dear Diary when all you have is some biscuits from Normandy to go by it makes it even more so.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Hull and all its wonders that awaits us just doesn't have the same draw as we sail up the humber

I think you may have missed an opportunity Robin.

See Copa's advice below.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I’ve taken up fishing and really enjoy it. I should have started years ago as I find it very relaxing.

 

  • Haha 1

England RU Coach Eddie Jones : "I spent a bit of time up at Hull and I like the full back there Connor, he's a tough, skilful player"

Jake Connor : "I've never played Union, it doesn't look that hard, you never say never but it looks too boring for me"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear diary, what a day it's been
Dear diary, it's been just like a dream
Woke up too late; wasn't where I should have been
For goodness sake what's happening to me
Write lightly, yours truly, dear diary

It was cold outside my door
So many people by the score
Rushing around so senselessly
They don't notice there's people like me
Write lightly, yours truly, dear diary

They don't know what they're playing
They've no way of knowing what the game is
Still they carry on doing what they can
Outside me, yours truly, dear diary

It's over; will tomorrow be the same?
I know that they're really not to blame
If they weren't so blind then surely they'd see
There's a much better way for them to be
Inside me, yours truly, dear diary

 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Copa said:

I’ve taken up fishing and really enjoy it. I should have started years ago as I find it very relaxing.

My first boss used to go fishing every Saturday afternoon, took himself off to a nice lake, packed lunch, flask, radio to listen to the football on,  only difference between him and the rest of the people there fishing, was he never used any hooks! 

He only went for the peace and quiet, time alone, chance to enjoy listening to the football without his wife finding endless jobs for him to do round the house, catching anything would have got in the way.

I used to think he was a right fruit loop, then I got married and had kids, now I understand more!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shrek said:

My first boss used to go fishing every Saturday afternoon, took himself off to a nice lake, packed lunch, flask, radio to listen to the football on,  only difference between him and the rest of the people there fishing, was he never used any hooks! 

He only went for the peace and quiet, time alone, chance to enjoy listening to the football without his wife finding endless jobs for him to do round the house, catching anything would have got in the way.

I used to think he was a right fruit loop, then I got married and had kids, now I understand more!

It’s wonderful. I sit there surrounded by nature, book in hand, some soft jazz or classical music playing and just chill out.

Also, being a keen environmentalist, I get to catch and kill large European carp and Redfin perch (aka European/English perch) that are pest fish in our waterways.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MattSantos said:

12:45 and wondering what to do for me dinner.

I'm wondering whether i can retire at 40.

Probably not.

I'm planning to take a year (maybe a bit more) off work, starting in a few months. Can afford to do it, and I figure I'll  be able to do a lot more adventurous/outdoors stuff in my forties than when I hit 67.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Copa said:

I’ve taken up fishing and really enjoy it. I should have started years ago as I find it very relaxing.

I’ve taken up sailing remote control model yachts. Having never sailed or been interested in sailing I thought I’d give it a bash. Ok some days there’s too much wind and some days not enough wind but mostly it’s good. There’s something quite therapeutic in sitting by a lake out in the countryside guiding a yacht across the water. Things can be different though when we are racing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JonM said:

I'm planning to take a year (maybe a bit more) off work, starting in a few months. Can afford to do it, and I figure I'll  be able to do a lot more adventurous/outdoors stuff in my forties than when I hit 67.

Any plans?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Any plans?

Yes, but they don't sound so exciting when written down. Mostly stuff I already do, but without the time pressure of having to fit it round 50+ hours per week working/thinking about work/commuting. Open question is whether this is an "interval" or "act 2."

Running/walking (I want to run the new Hebridean way - 156 miles across 10 islands), but there's loads of other long distance trails I fancy. Gardening (& cooking stuff from the garden) & plenty of craft type stuff I want to make. Musical instruments to play & get better at. Many things I want to learn more about - especially astronomy, archaeology, not to mention several languages I want to improve. Written a couple of technical books in the past, one of which was quite successful and there's a couple more books I'll use this time to write & publish. There's also some hobby electronics & software projects I want to do

My wife & I have done a lot of travel in the past,  so don't have a "bucket list" of places to visit, but some slower paced travel is definitely on the agenda once our youngest is at university.

Those goals are all selfish ones. There's some voluntary groups & charities I currently help out with, but there's some interesting groups locally putting engineering & programming skills to work for things like development projects in the 3rd world, might be good to see whether I have anything to contribute there.

If you're genuinely interested in retiring "early" check out

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Anyway, apologies for hijacking ckn's diary ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Copa said:

It’s wonderful. I sit there surrounded by nature, book in hand, some soft jazz or classical music playing and just chill out.

Also, being a keen environmentalist, I get to catch and kill large European carp and Redfin perch (aka European/English perch) that are pest fish in our waterways.

Mates just finished another night session fishing for Carp .

Didn't catch again (o how i laughed)

Its big here in the UK /Europe , biggest he's caught is 47lb .

Im sure he will break his duck next session !   

When he goes he puts up a bivvie gets rods etc sorted , baits swim , cast baits out sets rods in place , gets chair out sits down and says '' And Relax '' 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Diary, it isn't quite the same at 56, feeling as though you have been forced to retire because there is no permanent work out there for has-beens. However, it is giving me a chance to learn to play the guitar. A friend came down from London a couple of weeks ago, same age as me, and he bought a guitar & declared he was going to take lessons. Knowing him, he will. I have learned 4 chords, and taught myself to play Happy Birthday to you via YouTube. The tips of my fingers on my left hand hurt for now.

Edited by Bleep1673
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Dear Diary, it isn't quite the same at 56, feeling as though you have been forced to retire because there is no permanent work out there for has-beens. However, it is giving me a chance to learn to play the guitar. A friend came down from London a couple of weeks ago, same age as me, and he bought a guitar & declared he was going to take lessons. Knowing him, he will. I have learned 4 chords, and taught myself to play Happy Birthday to you via YouTube. The tips of my fingers on my left hand hurt for now.

This site was strongly recommended to me by someone on here and I've found it outstanding in helping me self-learn.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every year, the fly-past for the Trooping the Colour goes directly over my house, it usually lasts for ages with everything from the oldest planes to the newest technology.  They start the grouping this far out to get their timings perfect by the time they get to London.  Today saw only four groups go past, I missed the first one unfortunately but it was a fast propellor.  It'll be on telly about now...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Billhooks, it seems I missed the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane flying over mine :(  I get the nice fly-past without having to have anything to do with the royals :D

Disappointing that it was only four groups though, usually it's a lot more and I was hoping for the F35B.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Billhooks, it seems I missed the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane flying over mine :(  I get the nice fly-past without having to have anything to do with the royals :D

Disappointing that it was only four groups though, usually it's a lot more and I was hoping for the F35B.

Boys and their toys! You need to ask Santa nicely and maybe you will get one of your own. You know you want one. ?

 

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Billhooks, it seems I missed the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane flying over mine :(  I get the nice fly-past without having to have anything to do with the royals :D

Disappointing that it was only four groups though, usually it's a lot more and I was hoping for the F35B.

The Lancaster didn't join the run in until around Chelmsford.  The A400, Voyager, C17 and Tornados formed up over the Norfolk coast.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...