9-10 Jun: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

4 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Fev back up to third although there was a massive blow off the field with the announcement that Tom Holmes will miss the remainder of the season and still no definitive news on Ridyard. Not sure if there’s any quality half backs available but we sure could use one.

If results go with the table looks like another really important game between Fax and Fev in a few weeks time. In contrast if Leigh lose 2 out of their next 3 then their season could be done.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, jpmc said:

My opinion is; if SL "regardless if my club is in it" cuts funding to the rest of the pro game then it might as well go its own way and the championships should set about changing the rules it plays by to make a distinction between the two games

Sounds simple but to do it the championship would have to take itself out of the RFL. 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Sounds simple but to do it the championship would have to take itself out of the RFL. 

Or SL would,either way a bunch of town team being completely subservient to another bunch of town teams is

unacceptable to me

31 minutes ago, jpmc said:

My opinion is; if SL "regardless if my club is in it" cuts funding to the rest of the pro game then it might as well go its own way and the championships should set about changing the rules it plays by to make a distinction between the two games

SL "regardless if my club is in it" currently gets some TV money trickling down to the second level. I'm sure the Championship would like it to be more, and SL would like it to be less.

Now we've had the coup that removed Nigel Wood and placed the Super League clubs in charge of their own destiny/interest/fate, your prognosis may have some unpleasant truth. Especially if enough SL clubs' accountants tell their chairmen that they need a bit more instant wonga to break even by the end of the financial year.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with the level of entertainment offered up by the teams in each league.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Remaining fixtures (bold for games against Top 6).

Toronto (29 points): Dewsbury, Barrow, Leigh, Sheffield, Batley, Rochdale, Featherstone (all home).

Toulouse (24 points): Leigh (H), Rochdale (A), Sheffield (A), London (H), Barrow (A), Halifax (A), Dewsbury (H).

Featherstone (22 points): Barrow (H), Sheffield (A), Rochdale (H), Halifax (A), Swinton (A), London (H), Toronto (A).

Halifax (21 points): Swinton (A), Batley (H), Barrow (A), Featherstone (H), London (A), Toulouse (H), Rochdale (H).

London (20 points): Rochdale (H), Swinton (H), Batley (A), Toulouse (A), Halifax (H), Featherstone (A), Barrow (A).

Leigh (20 points): Toulouse (A), Dewsbury (A), Toronto (A), Batley (A), Rochdale (A), Swinton (H), Sheffield (H).

Can't see Toronto losing again. London haven't beaten a Top 6 side since their early season run. Toulouse are in good form. 

If they all beat every bottom 6 side and all win their home games against a Top 6 side, the table will look like this:

1) Toronto - 43pts (7 wins)

2) Toulouse - 36pts (6 wins)

3) Halifax - 33pts (6 wins)

4) Featherstone - 32pts (5 wins)

5) London - 30pts (5 wins)

6) Leigh - 30 (5 wins)

London and Leigh need an upset away win to get in, or hope Halifax and Fev mess up. A HUGE run in coming up. All exciting stuff.

For me, I just really want Toulouse to make it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Toronto (29 points): Dewsbury, Barrow, Leigh, Sheffield, Batley, Rochdale, Featherstone (all home).

Toulouse (24 points): Leigh (H), Rochdale (A), Sheffield (A), London (H), Barrow (A), Halifax (A), Dewsbury (H).

Featherstone (22 points): Barrow (H), Sheffield (A), Rochdale (H), Halifax (A), Swinton (A), London (H), Toronto (A).

Halifax (21 points): Swinton (A), Batley (H), Barrow (A), Featherstone (H), London (A), Toulouse (H), Rochdale (H).

London (20 points): Rochdale (H), Swinton (H), Batley (A), Toulouse (A), Halifax (H), Featherstone (A), Barrow (A).

Leigh (20 points): Toulouse (A), Dewsbury (A), Toronto (A), Batley (A), Rochdale (A), Swinton (H), Sheffield (H).

Can't see Toronto losing again. London haven't beaten a Top 6 side since their early season run. Toulouse are in good form. 

If they all beat every bottom 6 side and all win their home games against a Top 6 side, the table will look like this:

6) Leigh - 30 (5 wins)

London and Leigh need an upset away win to get in, or hope Halifax and Fev mess up. A HUGE run in coming up. All exciting stuff.

Toulouse look very short odds on. Even with 4 wins against the bottom 6 teams will put them on 32. One other win (or even a draw) would see them in the 4. Even 3 close losses might be enough.

I was covering the Leigh vs Halifax game for Proper Sport and let me tell that that pulsating game singlehandedly outshines anything I've seen in Super League this year.

The only time all game that Rhys Evans steps outside Ben Heaton and he sets up the match winner.

Both coaches were still really upbeat of making the top four when I interviewed them.

12 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Not quite sure how we lost that game and would like another look at a couple of crucial decisions to be honest. Leigh are not getting value for money from their players and a bust up Halifax certainly gave them a fright.

Agree with you Blues, from the euphoria of the squad so meticulously put together (the architect we are led to believe was Keiron Cunningham) with most of the players having either SL or NRL expierience we soon found out that the reallity of the Leigh teams showing is so much different, at present we occupy 6th position i.e. mid-table and that is a true and just reflection of how we have performed up to present. I have only missed the London game away from all fixtures played, so I am not reliant on someone else telling me the match stories.

Of our 7 remaing games 5 are against teams below us with negative returns in pts differance, the other 2 being away to TO and TWP, winning those or even 1 will give us a chance of the top 4, but we are still going to be reliant on the results of Fev, Fax and London's games which we can do nothing at all about to be in our favour to help us secure a spot.

You are dead right and have probably never spoken a truer word than your statement "Leigh are not getting value for money from their players"

PS A draw would have been a fair result yesterday, two evenly matched teams, but on a personal note, glad we managed to sneak it or we would have been deeper in the doh doh's.

14 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

6) Leigh - 30 (5 wins)

Great analysis.   I'm a Toulouse supporter, but Leigh look a solid mob to me, especially having knocked off Halifax who i fancied. 

This must be one of the tightest finishes for years.   Don't forget Toulouse were odds on for No2 last year, then lost the plot for 4-5 games.   

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Question: If the next Sky deal cut loose the Championship, would that be a bonus? Losing TV money but giving clubs free reign to monetise their product via ad-supported streaming? I don't know.

the only thing this Championship is lacking is TV coverage/live games video. It would help every club to tend with more fulltimers. what the sport needs is more professinal players/more spots  (and I am not talking about huge wages…).

I wonder what to expect for next round for TO vs Leigh... it seems that, despite their wins, neither TO nor Leigh proposed their best rugby this week end so there will be tension for next week end match!

BTW, I will update tomorrow our prediction game for the past round, sorry for letting you waiting :D .

With Featherstone, Halifax and London all having to play each other and each of them having one game against either Toronto or Toulouse someone is going to drop points and the race for the top four is going to be tight. I wonder if it will come down to the Fev away to TWP on the last weekend of the season. How big a advantage/disadvantage will it be that that game, along with the Toulouse game, are on the Saturday and the rest are on the Sunday?  I don't think Leigh is out of it, even if these lose to TO and TWP, although they would be relying heavily on other results. Its going to be a fun run in.

8 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

We are on empty at present Harry, huge efforts at Blackpool and CCQF have left us short on bodies Derek needs someone in quick as we have a weak middle that Fax exposed yesterday. Anybody have any props spare?

Agreed and it could be hotter and more humid next week at T.O. my advice, leave Ryan Bailey at home he was completely and utterly knackerd virtually after he ran onto the field to take up his position, get one of the younger players in they will be far more useful, 'H' was wilting rapidly as the game progressed so I would take stock on his selection, also I hope that Mickey is not fit, that will ease the tempation of playing him for the same reasons, heat and humidity takes its toll on the older guys much sooner than on the younger ones, no time for sympathy, horses for courses comes to mind.

12 minutes ago, Fabou said:

I am a TO fan but i cannot agree when you put us at the same level than TWP. They will be in the top 4, probably first. We, TO, are still on our way, nothing is a done deal for us...

I was looking at TO from the point of view that they are currently second in the Championship and have home games against Leigh and London before having to travel to Halifax on the second last weekend of the season and who knows what the situation will be then. Yes they could slip up against one of the other teams, but then so can anyone.

OK here come last round results…

we have 6 best scorers with 7 Points (see in red in the "round 16 - scores" picture...)

and...

5 people on the throne… : Ojx, RayCee, marklaspalmas, MattSantos, dunno much… all of you with 79 Points!!  (Krzzystuff is just behind with 78 Points)… Everything is possible (except for me, I will start to vote for TWP ahahah)

nice job.

see you for round 17. :D

Round 16 - Scores.jpg

Round 16 - Tables.jpg

Meanwhile at the other end of the table, I went to see Sheffield Eagles for the first time since they left for Wakefield.

The Eagles were poor, especially defensively, and would have been hammered by the likes of Leigh, Fev, Toulouse and Toronto. If they play like that after the split they will be relegated. Swinton were the better team and deserved to win.

On the other hand, the match day experience was better than I imagined it would be. Admittedly it was a sunny day and I'm not sure what it's going to be like in February but it has the potential, with a bigger and better stand, to be a more enjoyable place to watch rugby league than Don Valley was.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Toronto (33 points): Leigh, Sheffield, Batley, Rochdale, Featherstone (all home).

Toulouse (26 points): Sheffield (A), London (H), Barrow (A), Halifax (A), Dewsbury (H).

Featherstone (26 points): Rochdale (H), Halifax (A), Swinton (A), London (H), Toronto (A).

Halifax (25 points): Barrow (A), Featherstone (H), London (A), Toulouse (H), Rochdale (H).

London (24 points): Batley (A), Toulouse (A), Halifax (H), Featherstone (A), Barrow (A).

Leigh (24 points): Toronto (A), Batley (A), Rochdale (A), Swinton (H), Sheffield (H).

Only been one game between the top 6 side I posted this, and it went the way of Leigh to make this as tight as possible.

Big game for Leigh next week, but even if they lose, they've got 8 points the should pick up if they play the way they have been.

Halifax, Featherstone and London have a very hard set of fixtures after next week. Toulouse still have a couple of bad ones.

Again, if they're all home victories within the top 6, you'll have:

1) Toronto - 43pts 

2) Toulouse - 34pts

3) Halifax - 33pts 

4) Leigh - 32pts 

5) Featherstone - 32pts 

6) London - 30pts 

If London manage to beat Toulouse in 2 weeks, that could end up being four teams on 32 points.

Huge games.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

52 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Only been one game between the top 6 side I posted this, and it went the way of Leigh to make this as tight as possible.

Big game for Leigh next week, but even if they lose, they've got 8 points the should pick up if they play the way they have been.

Halifax, Featherstone and London have a very hard set of fixtures after next week. Toulouse still have a couple of bad ones.

1) Toronto - 43pts 

2) Toulouse - 34pts

3) Halifax - 33pts 

4) Leigh - 32pts 

5) Featherstone - 32pts 

6) London - 30pts 

If London manage to beat Toulouse in 2 weeks, that could end up being four teams on 32 points.

Huge games.

Just a thought Wellsy,

The Championship has obviously sparked a lot of interest for yourself if the trouble you have gone to in producing this post is anything to go by.

Considering that the Chair of your club is reputedly firmly on the camp of Leneghan and Co, are you in agreement with him re the end of the Qualifying 8's?

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just a thought Wellsy,

The Championship has obviously sparked a lot of interest for yourself if the trouble you have gone to in producing this post is anything to go by.

Considering that the Chair of your club is reputedly firmly on the camp of Leneghan and Co, are you in agreement with him re the end of the Qualifying 8's?

I know it’s a specific question for Wellsy but here’s my problem with it. The qualifying 8s work brilliantly and it would be great to keep them. Unfortunately the top 8s don’t work and are just repeat fixtures with a reduced timescale to get them organised. So it would be great to keep the qualifying 8s but scrap the top 8s I just don’t know how that’s workable. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I know it’s a specific question for Wellsy but here’s my problem with it. The qualifying 8s work brilliantly and it would be great to keep them. Unfortunately the top 8s don’t work and are just repeat fixtures with a reduced timescale to get them organised. So it would be great to keep the qualifying 8s but scrap the top 8s I just don’t know how that’s workable. 

I know its not everyones favourite idea but you would get some amazing rugbyleague if you re-set the point to zero for the top 8

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

1) Toronto - 43pts 

2) Toulouse - 34pts

3) Halifax - 33pts 

4) Leigh - 32pts 

5) Featherstone - 32pts 

6) London - 30pts 

Huge games.

I would obviously take 3rd but I think the way we are playing at the moment and given how we have been able to keep our squad fresh compared to other teams I can see us getting 2nd. It would only take a slip up against any of the teams around us though and we could be looking at 6th. As it is if we win our games against teams outside the top 6 and 2 out of 3 against the top 6 we will likely finish in the top 4 and another fluke result from our team.

1 hour ago, jpmc said:

I know its not everyones favourite idea but you would get some amazing rugbyleague if you re-set the point to zero for the top 8

the Polish Ekstraklasa cuts the top 8's points by half to still encourage teams to get as many points as possible in the season but also allows for teams to still be competing for something come end of season in case they had a poor start due to injures or something.

It's odd but does work.

21 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

the Polish Ekstraklasa cuts the top 8's points by half to still encourage teams to get as many points as possible in the season but also allows for teams to still be competing for something come end of season in case they had a poor start due to injures or something.

It's odd but does work.

Sounds like a good idea,at least with that system you retain a advantage the higher up the table you finished

Archived