9 Aug: Qualifiers: Widnes Vikings v London Broncos KO 7.45pm (TV)

17 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Sixteen?! There’s not enough quality at present for a twelve team league, a jump to adding four more teams would water down the Super League further. 

Yes.  12.  Then expand.  But of course I believe it ought to be 10.

But in a compromise worthy of Solomon I would settle at the end of this season  to have the current 12 SL teams and 2 top Championship teams (by whatever criteria to want). However if not viable this should be whittled down to 10/12.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we have got to page 15 within 12 hours of the first game can the Forum consider a separate thread for each of the Qualifiers!

It appears that the Qualifiers may well put the Super 8s in the shade,perhaps give them one thread for the 4 games,no one's interested!

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Stop right there. Why are we watching 14th v 15th in late season? 

Because 14th won the league the year before and it looked good on the TV schedule at the beginning of the year lol

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Sixteen?! There’s not enough quality at present for a twelve team league, a jump to adding four more teams would water down the Super League further. 

Well there is...just the NRL pays better

9 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Out by a factor of 100%. Pathetic :)

I know, I know....must try harder.

Image result for head in hands

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

39 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Lottery numbers please. 

If "leytherz" could give us 43 lottery numbers that should enable us all to share the jackpot.

45 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

As we have got to page 15 within 12 hours of the first game can the Forum consider a separate thread for each of the Qualifiers!

It appears that the Qualifiers may well put the Super 8s in the shade,perhaps give them one thread for the 4 games,no one's interested!

I agree with this man here!

Shame he'll never get to know.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

That'd be amazing. 

I can see it now, it's 2022 and we're all just settling in to watch 14th v 15th in a late season game. Neither team can be relegated, neither team has a hope of winning anything.  It's all set to be the most enthralling game of the season, Super League Europe are predicting record ticket sales and Sky are set to offer a big increase in TV money, such is the excitement around games like these.

I think you've forgotten that we're in the entertainment industry.

Tell me, how profitable and entertaining is the NFL with its lack of relegation. Tell us what is the most valuable US prime time tv advertising slot each year? The half time super bowl! 

How entertaining and profitable is the  (no relegation) NRL?

Come on tell me? 

How exciting is a mid table Premiership game?

The race should be to the top not the bottom.  You will notice that NFL jerseys do not even have advertising on them. They do not need to, yet, they equalise revenues. They ensure they are competitive.

1 hour ago, stevereed100 said:

Friday morning totals

Super 8 thread: 14 posts

Qualifiers thread: 378 posts

And some people want to get rid of the Qualifiers!

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Friday morning totals

Super 8 thread: 14 posts

Qualifiers thread: 378 posts

And some people want to get rid of the Qualifiers!

“Hi Robert, it’s Garry here. We can’t get rid of the Qualifiers because people are talking about them on t’Interweb”. 

You do realise that there’s been one game of the Qualifiers and no games in the Super 8’s yet and that, said result in the Qualifiers was deemed a shock, generating debate and raising questions of one side’s ability, don’t you? 

1 hour ago, stevereed100 said:

Could do, but it would run the risk of ending up with endless separate threads with people banging on about league structures, given that most of the stuff at the end of this one isn't actually about the Widnes v London game, despite this being a match thread.

Plus, if I do separate threads for all the games each week, there are gonna be A LOT of match threads on here.

I'll stick separate threads up in a minute though, and let's see how it goes.

In the meantime, just to get in the right frame of mind, could people in this one please restrict themselves to discussing last night's GAME and not blimmin' league structures and what have you.

Ta.

12 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

Jarrod Sammut... Very good...Classy player!

A few on the Workington forum believe he's heading there next season, would be surprised if true, definitely looks good enough to play Championship and maybe even a shot at Super League. No offence to our Cumbrian Marras!

9 minutes ago, John Drake said:

In the meantime, just to get in the right frame of mind, could people in this one please restrict themselves to discussing last night's GAME and not blimmin' league structures and what have you.

Ta.

I've renamed the thread now.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You do realise that there’s been one game of the Qualifiers and no games in the Super 8’s yet and that, said result in the Qualifiers was deemed a shock, generating debate and raising questions of one side’s ability, don’t you? 

Check it again on Monday morning, and see which has garnered the most interest!

9 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Probably a wake up call for some SL fans. 3 SL teams are danger this year, Hull KR should be fine but the other 3 are a shambles.

Rhino's aren't that bad surely? 

Around this time last year I was sat in Perpginan watching Widnes secure their SL status at the hands of Catalans Dragons (consigned to the MPG), who were, at that time, totally devoid of any quality. 

This year, the Dragons are in the CC Final and Widnes have a huge job on to stay in the league. What a turnaround.

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Tell me, how profitable and entertaining is the NFL with its lack of relegation. Tell us what is the most valuable US prime time tv advertising slot each year? The half time super bowl! 

How entertaining and profitable is the  (no relegation) NRL?

Come on tell me? 

How exciting is a mid table Premiership game?

The race should be to the top not the bottom.  You will notice that NFL jerseys do not even have advertising on them. They do not need to, yet, they equalise revenues. They ensure they are competitive.

Yes, but their playoff format is totally different...plus they really don't have a viable league to relegate to.  Your point on equalizing the revenues is good but RL sort of does that with the Sky money.

The Widnes/London game was exciting and a good on field product.

Archived