Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Martyn Sadler

New league structure revealed

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

whoever goes up in 3rd will not be ready for championship either in squad numbers , ability or financially and will be the kicking boys of the championship unless they build massively in the off season with finances they do not have and we all know where that leads .

That’s the Groundhog Day nature of the Championship for you. There’s as much disparity at that level as there is in League One. It’s a League with two, sometimes three, leagues within it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’s the Groundhog Day nature of the Championship for you. There’s as much disparity at that level as there is in League One. It’s a League with two, sometimes three, leagues within it. 

It's been two this year, will probably be three next year.

The other thing about the "Grand Final", even if it's competed for by two fully pro clubs, is that they have no chance of signing sufficient quality to make a proper fist of it the following season, especially if the SL clubs decide to stop giving the second tier so much cash.

  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a selfish point of view, I'm happy, it all but confirms York's promotion although I think they'd have got promoted anyway without any restructuring.

But couldn't we have accounced these changes will only take place in 2019, giving clubs a whole season rather than 5 rounds to prepare? Clubs could then have budgeted appropriately. Instead, I'd expect those flirting with the playoff positions - Keighley, Hunslet etc and both Rochdale and Swinton in the Championship to go all out with squad strengthening now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

From a selfish point of view, I'm happy, it all but confirms York's promotion although I think they'd have got promoted anyway without any restructuring.

But couldn't we have accounced these changes will only take place in 2019, giving clubs a whole season rather than 5 rounds to prepare? Clubs could then have budgeted appropriately. Instead, I'd expect those flirting with the playoff positions - Keighley, Hunslet etc and both Rochdale and Swinton in the Championship to go all out with squad strengthening now.

Can you strengthen now ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Hard to know whether to laugh or cry at the continued level of utter abject ignorance about the club endlessly displayed on this forum.

Indeed.

The RFL didn't do anything to prevent Bradford dropping into League 1 in the first place, bearing in mind they copped a twelve point deduction that virtually guaranteed it last year, so I'm not buying the line that this restructure has anything to do with giving Bradford a leg back up to the Championship at all.

This latest restructure has been prompted by Super League clubs, of which Bradford are not one.

Scraps are being thrown down to the Championship/League 1 clubs to get them to vote it through. That's all.

  • Like 4

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suddenly, that Workington-York game on September 2 doesn't look so crucial!

Quite like the idea of a 14-club middle tier (not least because my nearest club, York, are likely to be involved). But will this restructure make League One a lost cause?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Indeed.

The RFL didn't do anything to prevent Bradford dropping into League 1 in the first place, bearing in mind they copped a twelve point deduction that virtually guaranteed it last year, so I'm not buying the line that this restructure has anything to do with giving Bradford a leg back up to the Championship at all.

This latest restructure has been prompted by Super League clubs, of which Bradford are not one.

Scraps are being thrown down to the Championship/League 1 clubs to get them to vote it through. That's all.

Very convenient timing when Bradford are starting to lose games. 

If it’s been proposed by Super League teams, you’re doing nothing to dispell the rumour that it’s a structure to help one side over others, as Super League clubs would, surely, enjoy the increased income from Bradford, should they ever return to Super League and being one level below instead of two is more favourable to that possibility. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hopping Mad said:

Suddenly, that Workington-York game on September 2 doesn't look so crucial!

Quite like the idea of a 14-club middle tier (not least because my nearest club, York, are likely to be involved). But will this restructure make League One a lost cause?

It sure is for us . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Can you strengthen now ?

Good point. Not sure what the rules are, if anyone else can oblige?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Very convenient timing when Bradford are starting to lose games. 

If it’s been proposed by Super League teams, you’re doing nothing to dispell the rumour that it’s a structure to help one side over others, as Super League clubs would, surely, enjoy the increased income from Bradford, should they ever return to Super League and being one level below instead of two is more favourable to that possibility. 

If you want to believe in conspiracy theories, go ahead, nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

  • Like 5

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spanishknight said:

And us, we want to be champions.

Yeh I can’t really argue against that as I’ve just argued for it ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Drake said:

If you want to believe in conspiracy theories, go ahead, nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

You said it’s proposed by Super League, it leaves it open to “conspiracy theories” John. Especially at a time a poor Bradford side is being found out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You said it’s proposed by Super League, it leaves it open to “conspiracy theories” John. Especially at a time a poor Bradford side is being found out. 

Bradford fell to second in the league on Sunday, you really think the RFL have cooked this proposal up since then?!


SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You said it’s proposed by Super League, it leaves it open to “conspiracy theories” John. Especially at a time a poor Bradford side is being found out. 

If it’s proposed by SL how does that link directly to Bradford ? They’d have to get through the championship to reach SL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

You said it’s proposed by Super League, it leaves it open to “conspiracy theories” John. Especially at a time a poor Bradford side is being found out. 

Losing games to other sides roughly in the same position league wise, is not tantamount to being found out, its the usual pattern of a season.

How I miss those days of 'the RFL will move heaven and earth to ensure Bradford aren't relegated from SL'. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

whoever goes up in 3rd will not be ready for championship either in squad numbers , ability or financially and will be the kicking boys of the championship unless they build massively in the off season with finances they do not have and we all know where that leads .

I don't know - do you think - as things stand Workington would turn it down, given that should the system not change, there is a decent chance it'd be a Bulls vs Town final, and they already have Bradford's number?

  • Like 2

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Plow said:

How can you change the structure with 6 games to go ? What's the point 

It's even worse than that. Only two teams have five fixtures left and they catch up on Friday night. Everyone else has only four games left. Ridiculous timing.

  • Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It's even worse than that. Only two teams have five fixtures left and they catch up on Friday night. Everyone else has only four games left. Ridiculous timing.

I think they should leave it till the season has finished, not let anyone know who will be promoted, then get each clubs chairman in a room (stream it live from the clubhouse at Workington?) and have it like Bake Off/Strictly.

"York......you are in. Bradford....you did enough, you're in."

?

On a serious note, how long do clubs have to vote on these proposals? The thought occurs if it's more weeks of arguing, we could go into the final round of the season not knowing what the hell is going on.

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...