The most significant Rugby League events of the year

In League Express on Monday I will begin a countdown of the 50 most significant Rugby League events of the year.

On Monday we'll list numbers 41 to 50 and in the four issues after that we'll continue the countdown to number 1.

I'd welcome posters listing their own individual top tens on here, or even top ones.

I'm keen to ensure we don't miss anything important that happened during 2018.

Martyn

After getting stuffed by them in the semi final my Number 1 would have to be Catalans winning the Challenge Cup

Sorry not quite a top ten but other highlights:

- Ben Barba (early season form) - a breath of fresh air

- The million pound game

- Tommy Makinson hat-trick v New Zealand

Look forward to the final list

No1. The first rugby league club in the midlands to own their own ground. The ground then seeing junior school RL sessions, Midlands U16 training and game v Hull Academy, junior RL training, Trent Uni RL training and old boys games, mens YML premier games, womens RL games, 2nd team games in the midlands league, weekly touch RL sessions......and taking money from RU clubs to use the ground.....Nottingham Outlaws.

2 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

In League Express on Monday I will begin a countdown of the 50 most significant Rugby League events of the year.

On Monday we'll list numbers 41 to 50 and in the four issues after that we'll continue the countdown to number 1.

I'd welcome posters listing their own individual top tens on here, or even top ones.

I'm keen to ensure we don't miss anything important that happened during 2018.

Best get them to declare which club hey support first, assuming they'll be convincingly truthful.

Then, get ready for the backlash.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jamaica qualifying for the World Cup

Foxtel in Australia offering a sports only package for $25 per month. Rugby league is their biggest sport. If you enjoy rugby league you no longer have to pay for a full pay-tv package to watch all the games.

The Sydney stadium drama. Finally Sydney is offered a few world class stadiums that suit rugby league and then the political party in opposition say they’ll withdraw funds if they are elected early next year. The NRL has said Sydney will lose the grand final if this happens. It’s looking like the opposition will win the next election.

The Super League game in Wollongong.

EDIT: I forgot to include the first season of the WNRL.

Not sure if announcements regarding future events count as significant moments or not. I've included them in case they do, because for me at least they were significant.

Announcement that GB are definitely touring next year - even though it's not exactly as I'd have liked.

Announcement about World 9's next year - excited to see England etc. playing 9's

England winning 3 out of 4 games against NZ, including the series itself.

London back in SL after beating the most evil/amazing (delete as applicable) RL team in history.

Catalans winning Challenge Cup. Good for RL in France.

Announcement about Catalans v Wigan at Camp Nou.

Watched my 1st Grand Final on TV and enjoyed it. Will watch again in future.

Discovered Rugby League Backchat - really enjoyed watching those - especially Garry Schofield.

Discovered that Matt Shaw probably won't make it as a RL player.

Counted less empty seats than last year - probably due to the lack of an Aussie hosted world cup.

Saw Wayne Bennett smile - may have dreamt that though.

Discovered that the Our League website is actually quite good - especially now it is showing more games such as Aussie schools tour.

Discovered only recently that Ellery Hanley has a boy who plays RL, so immediately got excited and nostalgic about the possibility of another Hanley playing for England/GB.

Okay heres some 

1. Cronk Gate and the Roosters master class in the GF to dump the Storm. It wasn't close. It was resounding. The Roosters could definitely claim to be the best team in the world... Better than OZ even. 

2. Catalans shock of dumping Saints in the Semi final... It showed they can win and came after they were scoffed at by Saints fans in the draw. It also raised more doubts about Saints and Semis which we would see more of. 

3. Gigots DG to seal a 25-24 home win for Les Dracs v Hull and start to turn round their season after a awful start. Gigot for me is the Dragons heart and him coming back played a huge part in the season being a success. 

4. Featherstone beating the TWP machine at home, and showing how they can be turned over and that there were doubts about the fitness / mindset and tactics of TWP that may soon be exposed! As they were by Sammut.

5. Leigh missing the last minute kick v TWP at the Bash. This moment almost sealed their fate for missing the 8s and all that ensued afterwards. It shows how small the margin between success and failure is in sport and how cruel it can be to be on the wrong side. 

6. Wigan beating Saints well in the 8s to show they are the team to beat. Wanes team were unbeatable the last third of the year and this showed why. Even with injuries the players all played their role. 

7. Lineham and Wire shock us all by dumping Saints out in the SL Semi Final. Saints show more fragility. Doubts about Richardsons ability to boss a game and Barbas defensive abilities. Holbrook is under pressure now in 2019.

8. Manfredis great comeback to play a staring role in a Final. Dom is a inspiration and when you hear him talk you see how close he came to giving up but he did not. He credits reserve games for getting him back which opens up our debate about reserve footy . The emotion for Wane of leaving. 

9. NSW finally winning Origin. Maloney showing he never gives up to construct a win. Freddies no dickheads policy in selection paying off as team spirit triumphs. 

10. Makinson, Bateman, Gildart all scoring / making some beautiful tries as England showed they are every bit part of the big 3.

11. The NZ v OZ women's match that preceeded the Men's being a cracker 26-24, showing how high the standards are down under for Women and inspiring the next generation of Females to play. 

12. Tongas support after going toe to toe with the World Champions in Auckland if not on the scoreline but in sheer physicality. 

13. Jamacia making the world cup with Golding playing hurt at hooker. All this after the sport was only set up in 2005 out there and against the odds with little money. 

14. Catalans lift the Cup at Wembley Allez!   A cracking final sealed by Gigots staring role, deserved LT winner, and one massive Party to come for Yes Papa Casty. 

15. NZ show OZ are still beatable with a stunning performance after their poor last 12 months, to best OZ in a scoreline that did flatter their opposition given the dominance NZ showed. 

Nice idea Martyn,as is your topic on RFL governance.Would like to see more such subjects discussed.

You could even invite suggestions for similar discussions - perhaps facilities for community clubs or maybe the RFL strategy for selling tickets at 'events'?i,e. something other than offering discounts in the final few days.

Robert Elstone coup/Nigel Wood leaving RFL

Restructure of SL (death of 8s, finals series back)

Women’s Super League inaugurated

Denver test leading to likely demise of WC25 in North America

First Aus-Tonga test

New Pacific comp agreed

Emergence of PDRL

Shaun Edwards

Bradford bounce back to Championship

The Hearns’ meetings with Ralph Rimmer

I've had a go, and it was harder than I thought! Probably plenty that I've missed out. I've tried to keep it chronological (broadly).

1. Coventry hosting Leeds in a pre-season friendly.
2. Bradford's close victory over York in round 1 of League 1.
3.  Ben Barba's performance in round 1 vs Castleford.
4. The first ever Super League game in Australia.
5. Leigh's poor start to the season and Neil Jukes' departure.
6. York vs Catalans in the Challenge Cup.
7. The start of the Women's Super League.
8. Catalans terrible start to the season and their signing of Josh Drinkwater.
9. Leeds' fightback against Castleford at Elland Road, where Castleford just hung on.
10. London's defeat of Toronto on Good Friday.
11. Castleford vs Warrington's modern-day watersplash on Easter Monday.
12. Leeds' losing run from April onwards, culminating in Brian McDermott's sacking.
13. West Wales Raiders' fiasco and various other teams not being able to field a 17.
14. Newcastle vs Bradford on the Friday before Magic and Newcastle's season generally with increasing crowds.
15. Magic Weekend - especially hosting a championship match for the first time.
16. Toronto vs Leigh at the Summer Bash.
17. Round 18 of Super League, which included one draw, two games where the sides were separated by a point, one game with a two point margin of victory and one with a four point margin of victory (settle by a last minute try).
18. Shaun Wane's departure from Wigan and appointment of Lam/Edwards.
19. Super League restructure (again).
20. Samoa vs Tonga in Sydney.
21. The Denver test.
22. NSW's origin win.
23. Hull FC's mid-season collapse.
24. The final few rounds of the Championship season with Halifax and London securing a place in the Super 8's.
25. The cup semi-final double header at Bolton, especially Catalans victory. 
26. London's victory of Widnes to open the Super 8's.
27. The Challenge Cup Final.
28. The Women's Challenge Cup final between Castleford and Leeds.
29. St Helens winning the LLS.
30. Toulouse beating Widnes and Hull KR at home.
31. Toronto beating Toulouse in the middle 8's by a point.
32. Widnes' relegation.
33. Rochdale's miracle escape.
34. York securing the League 1 title.
35. Toronto beating Leeds at Headingley and then Hull KR beating Widnes to survive.
36. The Million Pound Game.
37. Bradford's promotion.
38. The farcical Swinton vs Workington play-off.
39. Sydney's magnificent play off series - Sydney vs Melbourne's preliminary semi-final, Sydney vs St George and Sydney vs Souths
40. The St Helens vs Warrington play-off semi final.
41. (through gritted teeth) Wigan's fairytale title win.
42. Cooper Cronk and Luke Keary's performance in the NRL Grand Final.
43. Tonga vs Australia.
44. The Anfield test.
45. The emergence of new talent in the England team, especially Tommy Makinson.
46. Jamaica's qualification for the World Cup.
47. Wayne Bennett/Anthony Seibold's job swap.
48. The emergence of PDRL/LDRL
49. Announcement of Catalans vs Wigan at Nou Camp next year.
50. Brian McDemott's appointment at Toronto for 2019.

Beating Catalan first game and getting all excited and optimistic.

Beating Leeds and still being positive.

Our epic 17 match losing run, club record.

Betts sacking. Been there too long.

Watching London coming back and winning, thanks Finn.

Relegation, which we deserved.

Cummins amazing record as coach

Cummins sacking

Most of the squad being shown the door, hooray.

Rule leaving, well not until Feb .

Signing 4 players, when are the other 8 arriving?

That'll do.

Did I say I was a Widnes fan?

Chris 22's list is pretty comprehensive, to which I'd add...

The neverending Hardaker saga.

Val Holmes' departure to American Football.

The retirements of Billy and JT.

Tommy M winning Golden Boot to the anger and perplexity of some in Oz.

Shaun Johnson, the face of the Warriors, leaving the Warriors.

I don't know how significant it will prove to be, and it wasn't a shock as such, nor am I saying it wasn't (or was) justified, but McDermott's sacking was a big moment considering all he'd won with Leeds.

As a sport I don't think RL puts as much emphasis on Head Coach as football does, but for me he played a Clough/Ferguson role in the iconic 2015 campaign, especially in the final 3 games when both he and the team looked spent. That treble looked a busted flush after losing the last "regular season" home game against Cas and would have collapsed without great leadership. Then an unlikely encore in 2017, only to be unceremoniously binned within a year! 

Not batting for BMcD here, just saying it would be up there if Channel 5 ever decide to make "The 50 most shocking moments in Rugby League (in 2018)"

Archived