Obituary Thread

Burt Young, aged 83. probably best known for his role as Paulie in the Rocky films, but did loads of other good work too.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charlton, a great player and a great gentleman on and off the field. One of the last of a generation where its all about the sport.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A true ' icon ' of sport , I remember reading a story about a journalist on his travels round the world in the 60s , if ever in surroundings that were intimidating , referencing " Bobby Charalatan " 😉 would immediately ease any tensions with the locals and draw a smile no matter wherever in the world you were , usually followed with an invite to play a game of football 

Fairly sure he'd had a match programme or football magazine with a picture of Bobby on the front cover with him which had originally been seen , so he made a point of carrying the said article with him on his travels , at that time there were essentially 3 worldwide known sports superstars , Muhammed Ali , Pele and Bobby Charlton 

Edited by GUBRATS

One of those Battle of Britain heroes that certain self-styled "patriots" like to pretend never existed.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

One of those Battle of Britain heroes that certain self-styled "patriots" like to pretend never existed.

Nobody pretends the Poles and other eastern Europeans didn't contribute massively to the war,  that's purely projection on your part. Eastern Europeans, such as the Poles or Lithuanians are very patriotic. 

11 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Nobody pretends the Poles and other eastern Europeans didn't contribute massively to the war,  that's purely projection on your part. Eastern Europeans, such as the Poles or Lithuanians are very patriotic. 

The likes of Farage and Tice have previous in using images of Spitfires from Polish squadrons to exhibit phony patriotism and fuel their "millions of Eastern European welfare-scrounging #### are invading" propaganda.

They just didn't check the insignia beforehand and thus showed themselves up as not just racists, but lazy racists. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The likes of Farage and Tice have previous in using images of Spitfires from Polish squadrons to exhibit phony patriotism and fuel their "millions of Eastern European welfare-scrounging #### are invading" propaganda.

They just didn't check the insignia beforehand and thus showed themselves up as not just racists, but lazy racists. 

You can’t get much lazier than just labelling people like Farage as racist, so congrats. Not that I’m a fan as such, it’s just extremely unthinking. 
But again I’ll repeat, very few people have a problem with Eastern Europeans as they are mostly very hard working people. And it’s very very lazy to bundle everyone together who happens to have different opinions to you. 

Just now, The Masked Poster said:

You can’t get much lazier than just labelling people like Farage as racist, so congrats. Not that I’m a fan as such, it’s just extremely unthinking. 
But again I’ll repeat, very few people have a problem with Eastern Europeans as they are mostly very hard working people. And it’s very very lazy to bundle everyone together who happens to have different opinions to you. 

Farage isn't a racist? Wow, that's quite a claim.

And well done for deliberately misinterpreting what I posted about Poles and other foreigners. It must make you feel awfully clever to lie like that.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 21/10/2023 at 16:03, Derwent said:

Sir Bobby Charlton, aged 86. RIP.

David Squires' tribute: https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/oct/24/david-squires-on-sir-bobby-charlton-munich-air-disaster 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Actor Richard Moll, aged 80. Best known in the USA for Night Court, but also a fan favourite in many trashy B-movies.

https://apnews.com/article/richard-moll-dies-night-court-e5f386ab083235a50db814bdaf2ba194 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matthew Perry aka Chandler Bing from 'Friends' aged 54 - drowned.
https://nypost.com/2023/10/28/entertainment/friends-star-matthew-perry-dead-at-age-54-of-apparent-drowning-report/ 
Bloody hell. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

https://nypost.com/2023/10/28/entertainment/friends-star-matthew-perry-dead-at-age-54-of-apparent-drowning-report/ 
Bloody hell. 😞

Just got up and saw this. I actually feel quite upset. Friends is one of my, and Mrs Goose's, favourite shows, it was a massive part of my childhood. 😢

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Bloody hell. 😞

As much as you can tell about someone you don't know, he always came across as someone doing his best to be good.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)