Obituary Thread

6 hours ago, Padge said:

Superb actor, not a bad politician either. Who can forget Morecambe & Wise.

RIP Glenda.

I remember an interview on Parkinson , very funny but completely down to earth person , I think I'll watch the M and W sketch now , brilliant 😂

20 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I remember an interview on Parkinson , very funny but completely down to earth person , I think I'll watch the M and W sketch now , brilliant 😂

Glenda often referred to her appearance in M&W as a career highlight. We mere mortals can only boggle at her ability not to get the giggles as everything goes to pot around her.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

Gordon McQueen - Man Utd, Leeds Utd and Scotland - aged 70.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63664992

Without doing any Google research, wasn't he involved in a double transfer with another jock footballer from Leeds to Man U back in the late 70's ish?

No wonder there's so much bitterness between the clubs.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Without doing any Google research, wasn't he involved in a double transfer with another jock footballer from Leeds to Man U back in the late 70's ish?

Also, a certain amount of bitterness comes from McQueen's widely reported quote when he switched clubs: “99% of footballers want to play for Manchester United. The rest are liars.”

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Without doing any googling either, it was him and Joe Jordan who moved from Leeds United to Man U in 1977. I remember it happening and it was quite a big deal at the time.

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Without doing any googling either, it was him and Joe Jordan who moved from Leeds United to Man U in 1977. I remember it happening and it was quite a big deal at the time.

That's the boy, cheers. 

I also remember it being massive at the time.

• Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 19/06/2023 at 20:37, Mumby Magic said:

Angela Thorne actress 85. You'll know the face if not the name.

Yeah I remember her in “To the manor born” and another programme with Boon in it, maybe an unliked in law lodging in her house? Lots of others I’m sure.

I think her acting CV said “available for slightly condescending, slightly snooty middle/upper class woman roles” (but usually pretty nice)

Frederic Forrest, the actor best known for playing "Chef" in Apocalypse Now.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

One of those where you look back and wonder how one person could do so much and do it so well.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

One of those where you look back and wonder how one person could do so much and do it so well.

Whereas on my epitaph itll be how can one person do so little and do it so badly 

• Haha 2

Former Castleford and Wigan Rugby League player David Stephens has died in hospital in Blackburn, aged 82 after failing to recover from a severe stroke.

Great player

• Sad 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.