Fitness Thread

Wednesday's always a heavy day for me as it's my day off. Yesterday, like some kind of maniac, I decided to go to an early spin class in the morning, right before I went to the boxing club. One of those spin classes that involves press ups and dumb bells whilst cycling, and where the instructor regularly comes around to turn up your resistance for you, laughing while doing so. Finished that with a bare 10 minutes to get to boxing for a heavy session. All told, it wasn't exactly an easy, gentle start to the day!

And then vinyasa yoga again in the evening. I'm as flexible as a brick, but I can now at least vaguely get into the positions without having to watch and copy the people around me.

1 more week before I allow myself to check out my weight, etc change. I'm doing it at monthly intervals rather than weekly.

Edited by nadera78
  • Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

11 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

As part of my Over 40's health check the other week they sent me for blood tests, as to be frank, I'm a prime candidate for a whole host of issues!  Came back as perfectly normal, and the high cholesterol from the in surgery test came back as norm too.  I think this is luck rather than any effort on my behalf.

In my case, I did well in the blood pressure and cholesterol figures but the nurse, as I have long suspected a lot of nurses do when faced with lazy middle aged men, just fudged the remaining figures so I didn't flag up on any of the alerts.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Sixty mile round trip over the Humber Bridge into Lincolnshire on the pushbike today. On course for the first 200+ mile week of the year thanks to the beautiful spring-like weather.

If the weather keeps up, the bezzie bike might even be coming out in the next few days.

• Like 3

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:23 PM, JonM said:

I've found those to work a treat - and there's been several scientific studies backing it up too. Best to nip it in the bud before it turns into an injury. The achilles tendon is amazingly slow to heal if it does get a tear or something.

My GP suggested the rather dodgy sounding "painful heel drop protocol" when I went to see him with what turned out to be achilles tendinopathy a few years back. Hurt like hell at first but really sorted it out.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

8 minutes ago, Ullman said:

My GP suggested the rather dodgy sounding "painful heel drop protocol" when I went to see him with what turned out to be achilles tendinopathy a few years back. Hurt like hell at first but really sorted it out.

Like this?

(with less balance, more clothes and hairy toes of course...)

• Haha 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Press-ups;

32-20-18-14-40. 

This ia a steady improvement. I am now going to pick things up and put them down again. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Did 5kms walking in an hour and a quarter last night.  My cardio is a total washout after 5 years of not being able to do much, but the times are coming down which is encouraging.  Might even be an inkling or two of real hope creeping in

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

Did 5kms walking in an hour and a quarter last night.  My cardio is a total washout after 5 years of not being able to do much, but the times are coming down which is encouraging.  Might even be an inkling or two of real hope creeping in

If you are pushing yourself a little more each time, then we are hitting the target. 

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The weather in West Yorkshire today is even better than yesterday. After a hard overnight frost we have been treated with a cloudless sky and temperatures in the mid teens. 

I decided to have a wander into Leeds city center today, a 7.5 mile walk but very pleasant in the morning sunshine. I've lived in and around Leeds the majority of my life so know it relatively well, but the amount and pace of new developments and the regeneration of old buildings is astounding, old buildings especially on the south bank of the River Aire along Water Lane have been brought back to their former glory and looked stunning in the winter sunshine.

Apologies if this is off topic, but I was out for a walk.?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Moose said:

The weather in West Yorkshire today is even better than yesterday. After a hard overnight frost we have been treated with a cloudless sky and temperatures in the mid teens. 

I decided to have a wander into Leeds city center today, a 7.5 mile walk but very pleasant in the morning sunshine. I've lived in and around Leeds the majority of my life so know it relatively well, but the amount and pace of new developments and the regeneration of old buildings is astounding, old buildings especially on the south bank of the River Aire along Water Lane have been brought back to their former glory and looked stunning in the winter sunshine.

Apologies if this is off topic, but I was out for a walk.?

Sounds like you really get some miles in.

This weather has been a fantastic winter bonus for the walkers, runners and cyclists among us.

• Like 2

Did 2.8 miles yesterday and the same today.  The achilles still isn't right but doesn't seem to be any worse.  Lovely out in the sun, coat off and happily walking in a tee shirt.  

• Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Apologies for the delay. I blame work getting in the way.

This week we've gone for a warm and sunny Mercury as an alternate weight.

Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Wiltshire Rhino Gingerjon Moose Bob8 tim2 Saint 1 Canabull Niels
Week 1 93.50 116.00 156.50 135.60 84.90 66.00 78.90 76.00   98.88  
Week 2 93.50 116.00 155.40 134.26 89.90 66.00 83.90 76.00 82.00 96.61  
Week 3 93.10 115.00 155.60 131.10 82.55 66.00 88.90 76.00 87.00 97.39 72.57
Week 4 93.40 116.00 155.40 131.10 79.37 66.00 80.10 76.00 82.50 98.43 73.03
Week 5 93.10 116.00 154.30 132.00 79.37 66.00 78.40 74.50 82.50 95.70 73.94

change -0.30 0.00 -1.10 0.90 0.00 0.00 -1.70 -1.50 0.00 -2.73 0.91
Mercury 35.38 44.08 58.63 50.16 30.16 25.08 29.79 28.31 31.35 36.37 28.10

Just now, Shadow said:

Apologies for the delay. I blame work getting in the way.

This week we've gone for a warm and sunny Mercury as an alternate weight.

Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Wiltshire Rhino Gingerjon Moose Bob8 tim2 Saint 1 Canabull Niels
Week 1 93.50 116.00 156.50 135.60 84.90 66.00 78.90 76.00   98.88  
Week 2 93.50 116.00 155.40 134.26 89.90 66.00 83.90 76.00 82.00 96.61  
Week 3 93.10 115.00 155.60 131.10 82.55 66.00 88.90 76.00 87.00 97.39 72.57
Week 4 93.40 116.00 155.40 131.10 79.37 66.00 80.10 76.00 82.50 98.43 73.03
Week 5 93.10 116.00 154.30 132.00 79.37 66.00 78.40 74.50 82.50 95.70 73.94

change -0.30 0.00 -1.10 0.90 0.00 0.00 -1.70 -1.50 0.00 -2.73 0.91
Mercury 35.38 44.08 58.63 50.16 30.16 25.08 29.79 28.31 31.35 36.37 28.10

Moose and I offer a contrast in variation. 

2 hours ago, Ullman said:

Sounds like you really get some miles in.

This weather has been a fantastic winter bonus for the walkers, runners and cyclists among us.

It's either get off my backside and do something, watch Homes Under The Hammer/Jeremy Kyle etc. or go on Any Other Business and join the Brexit debate. 

No contest really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Moose and I offer a contrast in variation. 

I am going up too much. I'm spending too much time on the Brexit thread.

I think I will go the gym tomorrow and try going twice a week. 

I just did want to ask a serious question of anyone. Presumably any aches and pains on the side afterwards is normal after the exercise? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Niels said:

I just did want to ask a serious question of anyone. Presumably any aches and pains on the side afterwards is normal after the exercise? 

Best I can advise, living with what I live with, is almost like the pains have shape to them.  It's as if sometimes it has sharp edges or corners, other days a more blurred line.  Some days it's an electrical charge, others like being close to a fire.  If I have those sharp or shock type pains anywhere else than my leg and foot I back off, if it's less distinct I'll push and see how it reacts, if it doesn't start forming edges i'm good.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Niels said:

Leave the Brexit thread alone Neils, CKN, Bedford and Ginger have it all in hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Niels said:

There is the difference between hurt and injured and it does take experience to tell the difference.

If it aches the next day, that is fine. If it aches four days later, then ease up. If it aches a week later, it is an injury.

Idleally, you want to be in the level when your body objects but you can overrule like a strick but fair guardian.

But, there are far better qualifed people on this thread.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 5:45 PM, Ullman said:

Sixty mile round trip over the Humber Bridge into Lincolnshire on the pushbike today. On course for the first 200+ mile week of the year thanks to the beautiful spring-like weather.

If the weather keeps up, the bezzie bike might even be coming out in the next few days.

My cousin got killed in the lay by on the A15 just before the Humber Bridge on the Barton side. 

• Sad 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

I went back for a second hour of boxing training.

I was pooped.

At the end, I am pathetic enough that I am glad I gained the respect of the 17 year old kid I was partnered with when he learned that it was my second session. Yes, I have fallen that far.

4 hours ago, Moose said:

Leave the Brexit thread alone Neils, CKN, Bedford and Ginger have it all in hand.

The world is safe in our hands.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

My cousin got killed in the lay by on the A15 just before the Humber Bridge on the Barton side. 

Sorry to hear that, what an awful thing to happen.