Challenge Cup

6 hours ago, RP London said:

interesting idea... i wonder if it is too close to the grand final money wise, but then it is a full weekend away rather than a night and as long as you have the year to save up... could be worth giving a go. 

I suppose the biggest hurdle would be the amount of games on one pitch on one weekend in the middle of the football season and the risk of damage if the weather is poor, would we get a big enough stadium to host it and happy to take the risk.. 

again, I would think there is no harm in asking the question though and would certainly be an interesting twist, completely see the logic and the "joy" of it all in once place a party to send off the league season etc, possible league leaders hub cap to be presented, send offs etc

Stand it on its head and play it as a season opener...?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good piece from Dave Woods on the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/46973796

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

16 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Stand it on its head and play it as a season opener...?

had this discussion on a different thread, not sure if it was with you, would happily do that but again I think venue is the issue. Almost the only place that could do that many games in a row at this time of year (for the pitch and the comfort of the crowd) would be the principality cardiff as it has a roof.. so we would have to work around the 6 nations.. 

Again its very doable but just needs some work (and here in probably lies one of the issues! RFL putting some effort in, maybe if it is the SL property we may see it?)

2 hours ago, RP London said:

had this discussion on a different thread, not sure if it was with you, would happily do that but again I think venue is the issue. Almost the only place that could do that many games in a row at this time of year (for the pitch and the comfort of the crowd) would be the principality cardiff as it has a roof.. so we would have to work around the 6 nations.. 

Again its very doable but just needs some work (and here in probably lies one of the issues! RFL putting some effort in, maybe if it is the SL property we may see it?)

This is fair enough, but I would add that I would start the season later, say the Ides of March!

Buffering a lot on the OurLeague stream, at least for me.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

West Bowling beat Hammersmith 42-12.  I was hoping for a Hammersmith win and a home tie in the next round I could get to... but not to be.  Well done West Bowling.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Tense, tight game at Scawthorpe as Bentley pipped the Army 18-16 in front of about 650 spectators. The visitors led 6-0 after eight minutes and 8-6 at the hour mark before two tries, both converted, gave the Yorkshire League club an 18-10 lead. The Army got a converted try in stoppage time but, despite the referee adding another four minutes, Bentley held out with some comfort. Bentley, who trained over Christmas to be ready for this big occasion, looked fit and determined. A test for anyone in round two! Admission was by donation and an eight-page programme sold for £2.

Archived