Greatest imports who played in British rugby league

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good topic but the original poster looks like he has found a list of overseas players who have played overhere and made some teams up. There has to be criteria for even being discussed as greatest imports,  for one you must have played more than 13 minutes, a season at least. And although you can accept the posters ignorance to the records you really need some knowledge.

I mean Bevan ,Rosenfield and van vollenhoven records mean than no wingers will better their impact, but of the modern wingers leslie vainokola made a massive impact in the british game.

Having briefly looked at Wigan’s past, and having asked my 94 year old auntie, who has been watching for 86 years, the names Lake, Bell, Nordgren and Kenny  came top for a Wigan. With van vollenhoven and Bevan miles ahead of non Wigan players. Of overseas players I have seen, who played at least one fullish season, my favourite team would something like...

Barnett 

ferguson

lyon

bell

vainakolo

kenny 

sterling 

boyd

buderus 

Sorenson

west 

s gill

J Smith  

I wouldn’t argue for a moment that there aren’t players who, over their careers, were better (such as Lewis and Myles), but these were all players I loved at Wigan, or would go out of my way to watch when they played for other sides. 

12 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Having briefly looked at Wigan’s past, and having asked my 94 year old auntie, who has been watching for 86 years, the names Lake, Bell, Nordgren and Kenny  came top for a Wigan. With van vollenhoven and Bevan miles ahead of non Wigan players. Of overseas players I have seen, who played at least one fullish season, my favourite team would something like...

Barnett 

ferguson

lyon

bell

vainakolo

kenny 

sterling 

boyd

buderus 

Sorenson

west 

s gill

J Smith  

I wouldn’t argue for a moment that there aren’t players who, over their careers, were better (such as Lewis and Myles), but these were all players I loved at Wigan, or would go out of my way to watch when they played for other sides. 

Forget the benefits to mankind, the single most important reason we should build a time machine is so that kids today can get the chance to watch Kurt Sorenson play Rugby League. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm not even going to try and create a team or rank players but here are some of my favourite import players over the years I have watched the game.

Kurt Sorenson

Mal Meninga

Brett Kenny

Peter Serling

Dean Bell

John "Chicka" Ferguson

Tevita Vaikona

Gene Miles 

Emosi Koloto

Gavin Miller

Nick Du Toit

Les Boyd (although I didnt realise it at the time!)

David Fairleigh 

Tawera Nikau

Steve Ella

Greg Dowling

Gary Prohm

There may have been better imports than these in almost every position but I just really enjoyed watching these guys play.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I would like to list the best team of imports ever to play in British rugby league.

Ken Thornett (Leeds)

Brian Bevan (Warrington), Mal Meninga (St Helens), Dave Brown (Warrington), Albert Rosenfeld (Huddersfield)

Wally Lewis (Wakefield)

Andrew Johns (Warrington)

Bradley Clyde (Leeds)

Steve Menzies (Bradford, Catalans), Ray Price (Wakefield)

Arthur Beetson (Hull KR), Danny Buderus (Leeds), Steve Roach (Warrington)

Second best team:

Brett Hodgson (Huddersfield, Warrington)

Eric Grothe Snr (Leeds), Jamie Lyon (St Helens), Steve Rogers (Widnes), Kerry Boustead (Hull KR),

Brett Kenny (Wigan)

Peter Sterling (Hull FC)

Tawera Nikau (Castleford, Warrington),

David Furner (Wigan, Leeds), Iosia Soliola (St. Helens),

Joe Vagana (Bradford), Richard Swain (Hull FC) , Quentin Pongia (Wigan)

Honorable mention:

Stacey Jones (Catalans), Leslie Vainikolo (Bradford), Ali Lauititi (Leeds, Wakefield), David Solomona (Wakefield, Bradford, Warrington)

Third best team:

Richie Barnett (London)

Tom Van Vollenhoven (St Helens), Matt Gidley (St Helens), Steve Renouf (Wigan), Pat Richards (Wigan)

Denis Moran (London, Wigan)

Stacey Jones (Catalans)

Stanley Gene (Hull KR, Hull FC, Huddersfield, Bradford))

Jason Smith (Hull FC), David Fairleigh (St Helens), 

Kurt Sorenson (Wigan, Widnes) Jason Hetherington (London) Les Boyd (Warrington) 

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

Third best team:

Richie Barnett (London)

Tom Van Vollenhoven (St Helens), Matt Gidley (St Helens), Steve Renouf (Wigan), Pat Richards (Wigan)

Denis Moran (London)

Stacey Jones (Catalans)

Stanley Gene (Hull KR, Hull FC, Huddersfield, Bradford))

Jason Smith (Hull FC), David Fairleigh (St Helens), 

Kurt Sorenson (Wigan, Widnes) Jason Hetherington (London) Les Boyd (Warrington) 

Are you on something? Dennis Moran?

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Are you on something? Dennis Moran?

Did you see him play? I did many times. He was a sensation for London Broncos and single-handedly won many games for them. He was so good that Wigan bought him.

Moran had spent four seasons at the Broncos, making 113 appearances and scoring 75 tries. Moran topped the Super League try scoring tables in 2002 and 2003 and was the Broncos top scorer in 2004 with 19. Those records are amazing for a half back. He was a joy to watch and put bums on seats.

Unfortunately he had personal discipline problems and was released by Wigan in mid-2006.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not even going to try and create a team or rank players but here are some of my favourite import players over the years I have watched the game.

Kurt Sorenson

Mal Meninga

Brett Kenny

Peter Serling

Dean Bell

John "Chicka" Ferguson

Tevita Vaikona

Gene Miles 

Emosi Koloto

Gavin Miller

Nick Du Toit

Les Boyd (although I didnt realise it at the time!)

David Fairleigh 

Tawera Nikau

Steve Ella

Greg Dowling

Gary Prohm

There may have been better imports than these in almost every position but I just really enjoyed watching these guys play.

Great list. 

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Graeme Eadie and Chris Anderson must have been two of the biggest influences by overseas players over the years.

For a club like Halifax to win the league and get to the Challenge Cup Final in the next two years (winning once) is a great achievement.

I think most Halifax fans could put together a very good team of imported players most of whom either went on to play rep footy or had already played at that level. I might try and put something together later.

OK, here is my Wigan 13.

Once again, these are not particularly the best players Wigan have imported over the years but the one's I have most enjoyed watching live (since 1985)

1. Steve Ella

2. John Ferguson

3. Gene Miles

4. Dean Bell

5. Kevin Iro

6. Brett Kenny

7. Adrian Lam

8. Greg Dowling

9. Thomas Leuluai

10. Adrian Shelford

11. Nick du Toit

12. Graeme West

13. Henry Paul

Special mention to Frano Botica and Va'aiga Tuigamala who I really enjoyed watching and were technically imports I guess but more accurately cross code.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

OK, here is my Wigan 13.

Once again, these are not particularly the best players Wigan have imported over the years but the one's I have most enjoyed watching live (since 1985)

1. Steve Ella

2. John Ferguson

3. Gene Miles

4. Dean Bell

5. Kevin Iro

6. Brett Kenny

7. Adrian Lam

8. Greg Dowling

9. Thomas Leuluai

10. Adrian Shelford

11. Nick du Toit

12. Graeme West

13. Henry Paul

Special mention to Frano Botica and Va'aiga Tuigamala who I really enjoyed watching and were technically imports I guess but more accurately cross code.

Pretty good team

I have met a few of those players and they have all been really good blokes as well as top players.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 hours ago, Big Red Keev said:

I'm unclear on the premise. Are we judging players solely on how they performed over here, or there career as a whole?

If its based on overall career you would have to include Andrew Johns, and even Garry Jack in the mix. Trent Barret was pretty good also.

My criterion was based on "their career as a whole."

Gary Kemble, James Leuluai, Fred Ah Kuoi and Dane O'Hara.

Greg Mackey and Craig Coleman were pretty good too.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Archived