Liverpool RLFC (Merged Threads)

Cdd

9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

To my knowledge it would be a grand total of zero -  at open age at least, not sure about junior levels. There used to be one in the NWML but haven't seen them in the league structure over past couple of years. 

I must confess, and to be consistent in what i've said about other expansion areas, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to put a pro side in place and allow the grassroots to develop off that, rather than vice versa. That said, I'm still deciding whether the twitter account for the apparent new 'Liverpool RLFC' is a parody or not - never mind anything more serious than that. 

Perhaps it should be a condition of a semi professional club from Liverpool joining Championship 1 that they also set up at least 2 open age teams to play in the North west counties league or what ever its called nowadays and have Liverpool in there names or a district of Liverpool in it.

I'm even sure how many schools in Liverpool play our game these days. That's always a good staring place to increase interest in Rugby League with the kids and there parents.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I'd suggest Liverpool might have something to say about that branding. They might not have rights over the use of a Liver bird, as has rightly been pointed out. But there are many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes. 

Image below from the official Liverpool online store. 

Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 14.14.26.png

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Surely a new team from Liverpool should be called the Liverpool Mariners to reflect the city's nautical past and present

Great news if true.

Not sure about playing in the highly emotive colours of red and blue in that city.

Two alternatives are purple (famously the colour of their wheelibins) or green (traditionally the colour of their buses).

There was a club that used to be called Liverpool City that played rugby league at least up to the 1950s that played at Knotty Ash.

Think they played in green and white hoops.

I think if I had the money and was willing to throw it away on a Rugby League club, I’d be looking at an existing club. 

I’d look at one of the following: 

York - New ground this summer, bit of momentum at the club, rugby league played at amateur level in the city, close enough to the heartlands and a population of over 250,000. 

Sheffield - New ground next year, rugby league played in the city elsewhere, close enough to the heartlands, a bit of relatively recent history with the Eagles’ success and a big population there. 

Halifax - Good infrastructure at the club, decent attendances for their level, good sized ground, bang in the heartlands, a big name in RL history and a population of over 400k. 

Bradford - history, big following, good attendances, in the heartlands, good youth set up, momentum at the club and a good population. 

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Great news if true.

Not sure about playing in the highly emotive colours of red and blue in that city.

Two alternatives are purple (famously the colour of their wheelibins) or green (traditionally the colour of their buses).

I wonder how many clubs get their colours from there wheelie bins!

I'm undecided about red as a home kit, I know there are two football clubs in Liverpool but generally speaking red is the colour associated with the city and it's probably the first thing people expect when they think of Liverpool.  They might think they can attract more Liverpool fc fans that way.

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Halifax - Good infrastructure at the club, decent attendances for their level, good sized ground, bang in the heartlands, a big name in RL history and a population of over 400k. 

It's actually about one-fifth of that number

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Just gone off what google said in all honesty. 

Google might have thought you meant Halifax, Canada which is around 400,000.

A Canadian team? Now there's an idea...

Halifax, West Yorkshire is around 90,000

5 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Google might have thought you meant Halifax, Canada which is around 400,000.

A Canadian team? Now there's an idea...

Halifax, West Yorkshire is around 90,000

I've been calling for a RL team in Halifax, Nova Scotia for quite some time.  As I've previously stated, the city has more than enough population to support a team and the fans would take to it like ducks to water.

10 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I wonder how many clubs get their colours from there wheelie bins!

I'm undecided about red as a home kit, I know there are two football clubs in Liverpool but generally speaking red is the colour associated with the city and it's probably the first thing people expect when they think of Liverpool.  They might think they can attract more Liverpool fc fans that way.

Haha - yeah fair point about wheelibins although I think it was originally chosen as purple as that’s the colour you get when you mix red and blue.

I think though trying to appeal broadly to the Liverpool population might be better with a neutral logo and colour scheme.

It seems like a trivial thing, but the city is very tribal when it comes to red and blue.

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I've been calling for a RL team in Halifax, Nova Scotia for quite some time.  As I've previously stated, the city has more than enough population to support a team and the fans would take to it like ducks to water.

And the players would come from where ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

How many times are we going to hear about projects with Koukash involved that never seem to happen?

Cumbria? Widnes? Liverpool? He's had at least two opportunities to buy Bradford, but never did. He could have come along and bought any number of struggling clubs, but didn't

Anyone else see a repeating pattern here? A guy who loves a bit of publicity but never actually delivers...

He can buy hull fc for my liking, maybe get some proper signings

I actually don't think Halifax is such a bad shout. I lived in Fredericton for a while, and as I recall there is basically no top-level sport in the Maritimes. Most people follow teams in Toronto, Montreal or Boston. A Halifax team could recruit fans from the Halifax metro area but also the rest of the Maritimes, where people think nothing of driving four hours for a night out in Halifax. I can't imagine there's much RL played there, but Union is played, at least at the universities.

I can honestly say that there is zero interest in rugby league in liverpool. I've lived here half my life and as soon as I mention tgg,people's eyes start to glaze over. There's only one sport that matters in this city and that's football(unless you count drive by shootings as a sport,then there's two)

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

That expires next year anyway. Just in time for the season launch. Unless the 2020 season is kicking off in late 2019. 

Assuming that it's not been updated since. It's quite an old article.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived