British/Irish Dialects

17 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

I'm 65 and my accent has clearly changed. My map featured North Manchester and spread east for Oldham, but only as far as Wigan westwards. It also showed a band eastwards as far as Whitby, with a gentle nod to the Northumberland borders (a good few Whitby words betray a Norse heritage). After about 20 years in Moston/Blackley, I spent the next 20 in Whitby, so the map pinged me quite well. However, it also showed a lot of Lancashire and Cumberland coastal influence (about Blackpool to Seascale). I have no idea where that comes from.

It failed to detect any influence from Rethymno. Disappointing.?

There wasn't a question where the answer was malaka.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Mine was Manchester/Liverpool belt; which is good considering I am from there. Refutes the banter about my accent when I go home... “posh t&*t” or “Tory boy” supposedly as the accent has mellowed a bit since I left there 19yrs ago. ?

Oh aye , I got that stuff  after going to uni for four years and when I came back I was eating with a knife and fork 

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

Sounds like a mix of Cumbrian and Scottish , with a bit of helium thrown in 

Its funny how many of these old recordings preserving dialects are of elderly people complaining about the youth of today. Nothing changes!

To my ear she could come from anywhere in the north east of Ireland from Louth to Antrim and I definitely hear the touch of Scottish.

Manx Gaelic is closely related to Lowland Scottish Gaelic and the Ulster dialect of Irish Gaelic so that kind of makes sense.

I wonder if anyone has that accent anymore.

Really good that.

Well it couldn't have nailed me any better. The York accent (not the pseudo posh one) has a twang from the North East, the East Riding, and the rest of Yorkshire, so that is bob on.

Chuddy, Snicket, Croggy, Nithering etc never knew they were so Yorkshire centric.

1830019100_Capture1.PNG.d2e45b2a9414ec0d7acfeaf458300d83.PNG

So no one else calls it a tipple tail?

2020254424_Capture2.PNG.4ee6df8b4347d4f1d88ce6585e18b3fd.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to doing this. Very entertaining! My red dot was basically bang in top of West Hull haha! I think the question that swung it was when it asked me if farm and palm rhyme. See in my head that's faaaaaaaaarm and paaaaaaaaaarm. And then there was the question asking what I call a less than intelligent person and I put 'a dobbin'. :D

Archived