Eric Perez buys Hemel’s licence, with plans to create second Canadian club (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Who? Kman?

Sorry...I'm a one off and then they broke the mold. 

Ahhh.....Florida.... the sand, the smorgs, the women, the glistening blue waters....and shrimp...lots and lots of shrimp to eat!

And cheap beer too!~

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Damien said:

I do quite like the idea of a a 2nd Canadian team before a US team to concentrate growth and development on one country.

I agree, helps build a Canadian fan base for all things rugby (and I include sevens and union in that).

Also, it would defer the crescendo of moaning about getting electronic travel authorizations for naughty players to enter the USA.

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

I'd prefer to see a second Canadian team before a USA team but that is just personal preference. A genuine rivalry could also really help the game carve out a niche.

I don't see why potential USA teams are always thrown in the same boat as something we must have off the back of Toronto's inclusion. If a team was sucessful in Italy would it mean we HAD to try one in Germany?

Pick it wisely , there will only be one more , drawbridge raised after that

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

At last, someone has acknowledged the success of Bob Brown and the Hemel organisation. How arrogant to dismiss these people's life's work as a failure! Let me ask the knockers, What if we had a hundred more Hemel Hempsteads in the country? How many more pro-players would we be producing, what would that conveyor belt of young talent contribute to raising the standards right across the country? Where do you think Superleague players come from, if not from Amateur clubs? I'm sickened by all the talk of ''developing pro-clubs'' without acknowledging that for every player of that standard, we need thousands of players in the supply chain below them, thousands of fans volunteering their time effort and money to fund and feed the clubs at the top. We might not be able to give financial support to ''new clubs'' like Hemel in development areas but the very least we can do is give them respect and acknowledge their efforts and considerable achievements in often very difficult and sometimes downright hostile environments.

Its about time the rugby league ''community'' started acting like a community instead of load of back-stabbing fifth columnists.

Nobody's dismissed their life's work as a failure. Just their short stint as a pro club.

16 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

At last, someone has acknowledged the success of Bob Brown and the Hemel organisation. How arrogant to dismiss these people's life's work as a failure! Let me ask the knockers, What if we had a hundred more Hemel Hempsteads in the country? How many more pro-players would we be producing, what would that conveyor belt of young talent contribute to raising the standards right across the country? Where do you think Superleague players come from, if not from Amateur clubs? I'm sickened by all the talk of ''developing pro-clubs'' without acknowledging that for every player of that standard, we need thousands of players in the supply chain below them, thousands of fans volunteering their time effort and money to fund and feed the clubs at the top. We might not be able to give financial support to ''new clubs'' like Hemel in development areas but the very least we can do is give them respect and acknowledge their efforts and considerable achievements in often very difficult and sometimes downright hostile environments.

Its about time the rugby league ''community'' started acting like a community instead of load of back-stabbing fifth columnists.

If anyone at the club, is feeling bruised by their brush with professional rugby league, after a lifetimes work building and nurturing that organisation, the last thing they need is having someone telling them their a failure. Inter club rivalry and fans banter is one thing, but kicking your brother, when he's down is dirty.

54 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

If anyone at the club, is feeling bruised by their brush with professional rugby league, after a lifetimes work building and nurturing that organisation, the last thing they need is having someone telling them their a failure. Inter club rivalry and fans banter is one thing, but kicking your brother, when he's down is dirty.

I doubt they care about some guy on a an rl forum discussing the merits of their organisation.  What's the point in praise if we can't also criticise?

I think Montreal is the best next bet for Perez because of the established local rivalry with Toronto

However New York is also very important for establishing a base in the USA, with one out of Chicago, Boston, or Philadelphia to follow New York. Each of those three has a rivalry with New York, and if New York catches on with fans and sponsors and is very successful along with Toronto and Montreal, all three may all follow over the medium term.

Personally I would like to see Toronto, Montreal, New York and one other USA team as a stated goal of the RFL and Super League, in order to create a north American conference. That would strain the player pool in England and Australia in the short term. But with PNG and Fiji coming into contention in the Antipodes, there should be enough talent available for four north American teams, especially if a few English teams collapse from financial problems, as Widnes has done.

7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why can't we do both

We have Toronto & that's been a success. I just feel historically we've got more in common with French RL & we should be trying to expand over there. We already have 2 teams in the competition but we need more.

45 minutes ago, DEANO said:

So where are the players going to come from for this new team. Probably bottom half of sl further diluting the competition 

The standard of SLs the highest it's been for years despite more full time clubs and a cashed up Toronto.  More clubs is more opportunities for players.

1 hour ago, Rage said:

We have Toronto & that's been a success. I just feel historically we've got more in common with French RL & we should be trying to expand over there. We already have 2 teams in the competition but we need more.

I think the consultancy fee might be the issue that it is reported clubs are being asked to pay.

Archived