Eric Perez buys Hemel’s licence, with plans to create second Canadian club (Merged Threads)

10 hours ago, North but south said:

Super rugby seems to do very well. Average attendance almost 20k. Rugby premiership is 14k. Now you could say MLB and NFL and nba are all multi country with "manufactured" side seem to do very well. 

Super Rugby is almost dead.

I'm definitely not arguing against your overall points though.

new rise.jpg

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pulga said:

Super Rugby is almost dead.

I'm definitely not arguing against your overall points though.

To be fair it's not really dying, it's just killing the ARU and huge parts of the South African RU community are getting jack of it cause they think that they should basically be able to have their national competition as a conference of the Super Rugby competition and that's never going to be feasible...

SA Rugby will never pull out of it so long as it's still feasible cause it makes them way to much money, the Kiwis love it cause it makes them plenty of money and they get to assert their dominance over the rest of the Southern Hemisphere nations on a weekly basis through basically devaluing the sport in their home countries so much that they can't compete in the players market anymore and thus can't afford the cattle to compete with the All Blacks, and World Rugby will do their damnedest to stop it from falling over cause it's the best way for them to expand meaningful competition of the sport at a high standard to places like Argentina and Japan...

So yeah it's not dying cause it's being artificially propped up, but if either South Africa or NZ had serious competitors like the ARU have in the NRL and AFL in their countries it would be dead cause what has happened to the ARU would have happened to them as well.

Also if the ARU wants to save RU from it's downward spiral into the oblivion in Australia then they have no choice but to try and convince the NZRU to split off with them and create their own comp, then once that almost certainly fails (and it will fail cause the NZRU will outright refuse to split off from SANZAAR and will assume that the ARU is bluffing) then go it alone and build a national comp constructed out of the Australian Super Rugby clubs and filled out with some traditional clubs and sell whichever of their organs that they have to to get it broadcast on FTA at reasonable times... Even then it's probably to late to return the sport to it's former glory.

9 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I've dedicated my life to rugby league. My goal in life is to make rugby league the most popular sport in the world."

The barsteward! Doesn't he know it's our hidden gem on our midden. Fetch Parky fetch!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

27 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

How about the “Canada, noooooo, we need to keep the game in local tarns for local people Pit Bothering Whippet Walkers” 

Exactly, now run along like a good chap, squat around in a circle (flower garlands around your forehead) with you mates, begin with a good "Hommmmmm" chant and contemplate your never never land.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

To be fair it's not really dying, it's just killing the ARU and huge parts of the South African RU community are getting jack of it cause they think that they should basically be able to have their national competition as a conference of the Super Rugby competition and that's never going to be feasible...

SA Rugby will never pull out of it so long as it's still feasible cause it makes them way to much money, the Kiwis love it cause it makes them plenty of money and they get to assert their dominance over the rest of the Southern Hemisphere nations on a weekly basis through basically devaluing the sport in their home countries so much that they can't compete in the players market anymore and thus can't afford the cattle to compete with the All Blacks, and World Rugby will do their damnedest to stop it from falling over cause it's the best way for them to expand meaningful competition of the sport at a high standard to places like Argentina and Japan...

So yeah it's not dying cause it's being artificially propped up, but if either South Africa or NZ had serious competitors like the ARU have in the NRL and AFL in their countries it would be dead cause what has happened to the ARU would have happened to them as well.

Also if the ARU wants to save RU from it's downward spiral into the oblivion in Australia then they have no choice but to try and convince the NZRU to split off with them and create their own comp, then once that almost certainly fails (and it will fail cause the NZRU will outright refuse to split off from SANZAAR and will assume that the ARU is bluffing) then go it alone and build a national comp constructed out of the Australian Super Rugby clubs and filled out with some traditional clubs and sell whichever of their organs that they have to to get it broadcast on FTA at reasonable times... Even then it's probably to late to return the sport to it's former glory.

I'd say it is dying. Crowds in NZ are steady but Aus and SA have seen a massive fall (so much so it's hard to find the most resent two seasons because they don't publish it). 

The one thing keeping it afloat is SA's sizeable TV deal. Nothing else.

new rise.jpg

13 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'd say it is dying. Crowds in NZ are steady but Aus and SA have seen a massive fall (so much so it's hard to find the most resent two seasons because they don't publish it). 

The one thing keeping it afloat is SA's sizeable TV deal. Nothing else.

This has some great information https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/104613809/new-zealand-super-rugby-crowds-good-but-south-africa-australia-on-life-support

but enough of rugby union!

16 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Like probably every club outside of SL, their attendances would likely jump if they were in SL. 

I agree they'd see an increase especially against Catalans, but the original argument was that "they probably attract bigger attendances than the home of rugby league" when they are currently nowhere near and they don't even have a stadium big enough to get near that.

I do hope Toulouse get promotion eventually but some people seem to think as soon as Newcastle, Toulouse, or other big cities get to Super League then we'll automatically be a more popular sport. By that logic ice hockey and netball should be among our most popular spectator sports. There's still a lot of work to be done.

13 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

At last, someone has acknowledged the success of Bob Brown and the Hemel organisation. How arrogant to dismiss these people's life's work as a failure! Let me ask the knockers, What if we had a hundred more Hemel Hempsteads in the country? How many more pro-players would we be producing, what would that conveyor belt of young talent contribute to raising the standards right across the country? Where do you think Superleague players come from, if not from Amateur clubs? I'm sickened by all the talk of ''developing pro-clubs'' without acknowledging that for every player of that standard, we need thousands of players in the supply chain below them, thousands of fans volunteering their time effort and money to fund and feed the clubs at the top. We might not be able to give financial support to ''new clubs'' like Hemel in development areas but the very least we can do is give them respect and acknowledge their efforts and considerable achievements in often very difficult and sometimes downright hostile environments.

Its about time the rugby league ''community'' started acting like a community instead of load of back-stabbing fifth columnists.

The end of the great story of Hemel has not been written...this is just another development in  their history...this is an organization on the move and the addition of Perez is a great benefit and good news.

Onwards and upwards....breaking the mold Hemel is.

13 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

There are few people in the game that don’t take the field that I can say that I truly respect, but Perez is definitely a man that I do. Even if he ends up failing in the end the mans got a vision and he is willing to back it to the death, and I can respect that.

Halifax Nova Scotia or Ottawa are fair bets that haven’t been mentioned yet, personally I think that Perez and the RFL should try and get a few stable clubs into Canada to build a good little package to sell to broadcasters there before trying to cross the border, but you know that’s just me and could be the exact wrong thing to do.

I'd prefer to see a second Canadian team before a USA team but that is just personal preference. A genuine rivalry could also really help the game carve out a niche.

I don't see why potential USA teams are always thrown in the same boat as something we must have off the back of Toronto's inclusion. If a team was sucessful in Italy would it mean we HAD to try one in Germany?

14 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is that confirmed?

Jacksonville would be great.

You already have a US team there, so there are some roots - albeit not massive. 

Archived