Pitch inspection

yck2017

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

No idea,you would have to ask the CEO.

We asked him yesterday when he came in there to tell us what was going on but unfortunately he didn't come in there to tell us what was going on so we didn't ask him.

A bit of communication from Rochdale would have done wonders, not a tweet at 2.30pm saying there's a possibility of a delay, then nothing at all from the club until most of us were back on the M62.

The news shouldn't have been coming from York or a car park attendant.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

48 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

We asked him yesterday when he came in there to tell us what was going on but unfortunately he didn't come in there to tell us what was going on so we didn't ask him.

A bit of communication from Rochdale would have done wonders, not a tweet at 2.30pm saying there's a possibility of a delay, then nothing at all from the club until most of us were back on the M62.

The news shouldn't have been coming from York or a car park attendant.

There will most likely be a RFL enquiry.

Obviously both Rochdale and the Knights wanted the game to go ahead,but if the Football club own the ground and the ground Staff are been paid by the Football club the rugby ? club have no say what happens on a Match Day,but if the pitch was not even marked out for the game Rochdale must have known before the kickoff that the game was not going to be played and should be penalised with a fine and made to pay for the Knights travel cost's.and offer the Knights supporters a discount on the tickets when the game is rearranged.

2 hours ago, William Webb Ellis said:

This is an absolute disgrace. Jon Flatman is a reasonable, fair-minded guy who would not try to gain an unfair advantage. When he comes out as strongly as he has in claiming a walkover I can only wholeheartedly agree with him.

If the match commissioner says the conditions are playable (as has been reported) then surely  there can be no argument. He is the RFL's representative on the day and surely to disregard his authority is a serious breach of the rules. If clubs can unilaterally decide when or if they will bother to honour a fixture then the result can only be chaos.

I would suggest that awarding the match to YCK is the absolute minimum sanction and serious consideration should be given to a points deduction, fine or other measures. This not a technicality or minor infringement. It is a club wilfully failing to meeting its obligations and acting in a thoroughly unacceptable and discreditable manner.

How could the match commissioner say " the conditions are playable " when the pitch was still covered over and the goalposts hadn't been erected ?

I can see why he's claiming a walk over. It'll save coming over for a midweek night match with all the complications that would entail.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How could the match commissioner say " the conditions are playable " when the pitch was still covered over and the goalposts hadn't been erected ?

The pitch wasn't waterlogged and there was no rain, or wind, or any sort of inclement weather that would usually mean a game is postponed. That's how.

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

U don't need to take off a cover to tell how windy it is, it wernt frozen either.

Is it true the Rochdale hornets chairman claimed on radio that they tried to put the posts up but one blew down?  I don't know which station or how to check if he said it.....if he did then words fail me!

3 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

The pitch wasn't waterlogged and there was no rain, or wind, or any sort of inclement weather that would usually mean a game is postponed. That's how.

From that I take it you weren't there then on Sunday ? If you had have been you would have known the wind was blowing pretty strongly. I walked home after the game was called off and I got sand blasted by stinging hail. There are photos circulating of the pitch at the end of Saturday's football match. It was waterlogged then. It had rained over night and we had a real blizzard for about an hour on Sunday morning with big flakes of snow and it was sticking.

I don't buy the windgate story. I was there at 1.30pm, I went out of the Dale bar at 2.10pm, 2.40pm and 3.05pm and at no point did I consider the wind to be strong. I walk 13-14 miles 6 days a week as part of my job and like to think I know when the wind is strong.

If we apply yesterdays wind gauge as the standard for calling off future matches then I reckon 1 in 10 would be postponed.

Now the League Express are at it on page 3: 'with the wind howling around the ground' and 'the decision was made to call the game off with the wind showing no sign of letting up'

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

From that I take it you weren't there then on Sunday ? If you had have been you would have known the wind was blowing pretty strongly. I walked home after the game was called off and I got sand blasted by stinging hail. There are photos circulating of the pitch at the end of Saturday's football match. It was waterlogged then. It had rained over night and we had a real blizzard for about an hour on Sunday morning with big flakes of snow and it was sticking.

https://twitter.com/alldesignprint/status/1104761731547574272?s=21

3.11pm this. You Lancashire lads need to toughen up. 

2 hours ago, AB Knight said:

I don't buy the windgate story. I was there at 1.30pm, I went out of the Dale bar at 2.10pm, 2.40pm and 3.05pm and at no point did I consider the wind to be strong. I walk 13-14 miles 6 days a week as part of my job and like to think I know when the wind is strong.

If we apply yesterdays wind gauge as the standard for calling off future matches then I reckon 1 in 10 would be postponed.

Now the League Express are at it on page 3: 'with the wind howling around the ground' and 'the decision was made to call the game off with the wind showing no sign of letting up'

I always walk to the ground as I live about 1/2 hr's walk away. On Sunday I got a taxi up to the ground because I didn't fancy walking in that wind. I live downwind of the ground so it would have been in my face all the way there. Walking home afterwards it was at my back but it was still strong. Can I claim my £4.00 taxi fee back ?

I was thinking all morning this is going to be a game of two halves because the wind normally blows right down the ground at The Crown Arena from one end to the other.

53 minutes ago, Rooney's Ears said:

Strong winds and lots of rain forcast tomorrow in Rochdale.

Bet there will be no H+S issues tomorrow taking the covers off and everyone will be allowed in the ground.

If the forecasts are correct it'll be a quagmire after 90 minutes. There are photos going around of the pitch after Saturday's game that show the pitch was already waterlogged down the main stand side.

There have been serious problems with the ground for the last few years especially in the area in front of the main stand. Football fans will recall the pitch was completely re-laid around this time last year for the Rochdale v Spurs FA Cup Tie and it's now back to square one. The previous groundsman got fired for cocking up the pitch just before this.

ROCHDALE Hornets would like to provide supporters with further information following the late postponement of Sunday’s Betfred Championship fixture against York City Knights.

https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/52490/further-statment-regarding-sundays-postponement

CHAMPIONS 2005

"Finally, Rochdale Hornets will continue to work closely with the stadium management company to ensure we never have a repeat of Sunday"

If it was the weather at fault, as they insist it was, how can they "ensure they never have a repeat of Sunday"? 

Bit contradictory that.

Quote - " High winds meant it was dangerous to remove the protective dome "

Its windy again, how are they going to safely remove the covers tonight for the football.

Exactly the same situation.

Will the football be called off tonight??? i doubt it.

Utter bobbins response from their board.

CHAMPIONS 2005

The statement says:-

"An unsuccessful attempt was made to erect the posts at the Sandy Lane end of the ground and as time moved on, a decision was made by the head groundsman, in conjunction with the ground safety officer that the game would need to be cancelled. Rochdale Hornets are reliant on the expertise of qualified safety professionals to make these safety assessments, and as such, we are supportive of the decision made.

Although the club were not made aware of the safety concerns until early afternoon, we apologise unreservedly to all supporters, particularly those who travelled significant distances for a lack of communication and our inability to convey the potential risk to the game. "

What a load of bo**ocks. I thought they could not erect the posts until the covers were off, yet the covers couldn't come off it was too dangerous to lift them. As for not been made aware until early afternoon, I assume they spent all Sunday morning tucked up in bed.

"A decision was made by the head groundsman that the game would need to be cancelled."

"Players and officials from both clubs wanted the game to go ahead."

Both quotes from  the supplementary statement.

If the wishes of the home club can be overruled by a groundsman, that club can never guarantee to provide a ground on which to hold its games. If a club cannot guarantee to be able  to provide a ground surely it is not eligible to compete in the RFL Championship.

Begs a rather important question does it not?

Of course the football is on tonight, that is the only reason why our game was cancelled on Sunday, never mind hiding behind health and safety ,Rochdale fc ground staff made sure nobody else was using their pitch  ( under instruction  tho)bloody hell even the car parking attendant knew the game was going to be cancelled!!! 

Archived