Barcelona record crowd?

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any evidence of locals buying tickets? Or just travelling fans making a trip to a different stadium as per?

Sorry to sound cynical, but this is a massive opportunity to get Spanish sport fans interested and the only thing I've seen in a tweet that was liked by 2,500 people despite going to 30 million.

2 hours ago, BenGilesRL said:

Is there any evidence of locals buying tickets? Or just travelling fans making a trip to a different stadium as per?

Sorry to sound cynical, but this is a massive opportunity to get Spanish sport fans interested and the only thing I've seen in a tweet that was liked by 2,500 people despite going to 30 million.

Are you based in Spain? Are you on any Spanish mailing lists? 

I know the report from L'Independent stated that only 22K had been sold, but having a look at the sales movement, I feel like that number is understated... Since even my last update a couple of weeks ago, there has been some really sold ticket sales moment.

In the Grandstand, 201 - 210 is now down to single seats, where even a week ago you could easily still buy blocks of seats, on the other side, 228 - 235, significant blocks have now moved.  Behind the south goal there is actually a really sold amount of sales now, and just above the Wigan area on the North Goal is selling strongly as well.  

There also could be more sales in the sections of the ground which have been held for Catalans and Wigan... I haven't increased them, despite many feeling like the Wigan area is a lot larger than what is being depicted (and arguably is supported by people buying into the section above).

Anyway, I would have thought we were closer to the 30K mark.... this certainly isn't like a Denver scenario, the ticket sales are quite obvious and you can see clear day by day movement... it's really rather encouraging.  

FCBarcelona_14May.thumb.jpg.cac929a2f83afed8e893452006693ed6.jpg

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

If we get 30,000 there  it will probably be considered a success.

Because it will be.

If it had had all the marketing and cudos the USA would bring to it that would be poor.

Have SL marketed at all, or are they waiting in the true RL tradition to denounce it or share in its glory?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Are you based in Spain? Are you on any Spanish mailing lists? 

Proof will be in the pudding but if Catalans has sold 20k two weeks ago and Wigan around 6k as rumoured, 4k isn’t great to make up the 30 is it? So we will see what the final attendance is and judge by the attendance of non Catalans / Wigan fans.

18 minutes ago, BenGilesRL said:

Proof will be in the pudding but if Catalans has sold 20k two weeks ago and Wigan around 6k as rumoured, 4k isn’t great to make up the 30 is it? So we will see what the final attendance is and judge by the attendance of non Catalans / Wigan fans.

How many Spanish people would be a good number to get to this do you think?

I would have 10k would be a reasonable number of locals coming along to have a nosy. More good and less disappointing, depending on the degree. 

That could see the final number in the 40k+ bracket? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

I would have 10k would be a reasonable number of locals coming along to have a nosy. More good and less disappointing, depending on the degree. 

That could see the final number in the 40k+ bracket? 

Agreed, 10k would be decent, but not incredible. 20k would’ve been a great effort

You can write down on one side of paper the number of times we have convinced 20,000 northerners to turn up for a normal Super League game. To expect that many Spaniards to show up for something they know nowt about is to set yourself up for failure.

Look at the attendance, not the size of the stadium. If the attendance ends up being the RECORD ATTENDANCE FOR A REGULAR SEASON SUPER LEAGUE MATCH, we should be bloody pleased.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Perpignan got 55k in Barcelona in 2011 against Toulon in Union........I think it was a big semi final but still it shows there should be a big appetite for the game in the City especially to support a team representing Catalonia.

That was in the olympic stadium too which is rubbish compared to the Nou Camp.  Now the football is done and dusted over there hopefully quite a few locals will attend.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

22 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

You can write down on one side of paper the number of times we have convinced 20,000 northerners to turn up for a normal Super League game. To expect that many Spaniards to show up for something they know nowt about is to set yourself up for failure.

Look at the attendance, not the size of the stadium. If the attendance ends up being the RECORD ATTENDANCE FOR A REGULAR SEASON SUPER LEAGUE MATCH, we should be bloody pleased.

Spot on. If we can get 30k, that is substantially more than this game normally gets, and substantially more than an I individual SL game has got for a long time.

1 hour ago, BenGilesRL said:

Agreed, 10k would be decent, but not incredible. 20k would’ve been a great effort

What are you comparing to get those figures? 

Within the UK we don't have a great track record for attracting new or heartland fans in those sort of numbers. Look at Magic Weekend, we don't get 20k from the north east or other host venues and that's multiple games. 10k from Barcelona would be great in my opinion, that exceeds Catalans and SL's average for one game. 

4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

That figure has been M. Guasch's target throughout. Which would be a SL record, of course, and also a bigger crowd than any game in France in the last 50odd years.

L'indepedant had a couple of pages yesterday - more than they managed ahead of the Challenge Cup final. One of the stories says that the Barcelona president was rather impressed by the Catalans fans singing Els Segadors at Wembley and the invite came from that. And there are certainly some locals intending to be there - numerous senior politicians from Catalonia on the VIP list.

6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Its a success to be invited to play a game there. Anything extra (Crowds, TV, Media, Sponsorship etc) is a bonus that should be used to FURTHER develop the game. Playing a one off game achieves little as we have so often seen. What needs to happen is using the game to use as a springboard for further games in the area and hopefully have amateur grassroots to develop like it has done in particular in the Valencia area.

The obsession with the Crowd is for me strange. Does it really matter if 20K, 30k or 40K turn up? The game being held in such a Stadium in a non Rugby League area is worth talking about-certainly far more than crowd size.

I was at that match at the Olympic Stadium and the TV was there and their camera work, judged from the large screen provided was superb. I thought, at the time, that's what we've been missing and denied all these years!

Crowd wasn't bad either though some would claim it was no where near "wasn't bad" and far less than that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived