Where do Leeds go now?

10 hours ago, my missus said:

order will be restored london will go into freefall finish bottom and be relegated it is already written.

It was already written that London would be relegated having failed to win a single game. I think I'll wait and see.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, East of the Moon said:

You should really get some help for your Leeds neurosis, it's quite tedious and pathetic!

I bet you congratulate and back all those who say if Leeds finished bottom they should be saved from relegation? Nothing to do with what they signed up to with regards the rules of the comp, nothing to do with the sporting ethos of this country, FWIW I don't think they will finish bottom.

PS my dislike of your club goes back to the mid 60's as a 13 year old, stood in the open spaces of the south stand as it was then, I got knocked down the terracing for doing no more than wearing my clubs colours and cheering when we scored a try, the perpetrator  was a brave guy in his early 29's, now fast forward to 2015,  again I experienced much of the same in 2014, walking back to our coaches a fan of our team minding his own buisness was attacked from behind by a Rhinos fan who ran past and thumped him in the back of the head putting him in hospital.

15 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You may find that Corinthian Spirit admirable. Im sure the suppliers who end up not getting paid when clubs go bust, and the players who cant pay their mortgages because clubs can't pay them etc probably feel that the line is less defined than you pretend it is.

Are those problems only going to eventuate if it's Leeds who finish bottom?

rldfsignature.jpg

13 hours ago, my missus said:

order will be restored london will go into freefall finish bottom and be relegated it is already written.

Not yet it isn't,  but in a few more games after their coach is recruited by Leeds, that's when you can put pen to paper.

18 hours ago, M j M said:

Factually Warrington are the only foundation club who have never been outside the top flight.

Not true they have been out of the top flight but they’ve never been relegated. 

5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Yet the clubs voted for the situation they now find themselves in.

It was a quid pro to get rid of the absurd 8s.  Never mind rabbiting on about Leeds, it would be disastrous if Huddersfield or Wakefield were relegated.  And given the equally absurd top 5 in the Championship, there would be a distinct chance they would not be promoted.  

We should not have relegation.  Clubs that are good enough in the Championship should be expanded into SL if and when ready.  

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I bet you congratulate and back all those who say if Leeds finished bottom they should be saved from relegation? Nothing to do with what they signed up to with regards the rules of the comp, nothing to do with the sporting ethos of this country, FWIW I don't think they will finish bottom.

PS my dislike of your club goes back to the mid 60's as a 13 year old, stood in the open spaces of the south stand as it was then, I got knocked down the terracing for doing no more than wearing my clubs colours and cheering when we scored a try, the perpetrator  was a brave guy in his early 29's, now fast forward to 2015,  again I experienced much of the same in 2014, walking back to our coaches a fan of our team minding his own buisness was attacked from behind by a Rhinos fan who ran past and thumped him in the back of the head putting him in hospital.

Harry that seems somewhat made up!

A fan, without provocation, hit your friend in the back of the head? No crossed words, no argument.....

It also gives us an insight into your world. You seem to have painted all Leeds fans with the same brush not dissimilar to the way certain sections of society, especially older folk, group ethnic minorities together.

The overwhelming majority of Leeds fans are good honest people. I also find the same can be said for all other teams. I regularly mingle with opposing fans and the friendly banter is what makes the sport family friendly.

You seem to have quite an old-fashioned sectarian outlook to the game. This is not 1970s football.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hello Harry....to address the points you make: you are way off the mark in your opinions and conclusions. Let me remind you of past posts we shared when Leeds descended into the bottom four last year, look them up, be my guest! You made the same points you made above and I answered them. I also passed on to you my best wishes for Leigh in their struggles at the time. 

Maybe I'm unusual on this forum in that I never criticise other clubs, especially if that club/team is having a hard time getting results, struggling to avoid relegation. I live on Fantasy Island where all the clubs Super League, Championship et  al have great stadiums and facilities, great players and coaches, billionaire investors oilmen with names like Mahmoud El Bayan- Kara...this all happens in front of 20k average crowds.

lf Leeds can't win a trophy I want to see Castleford, Wakefield or Huddersfield win the Grand Final, others are welcome too (yes, really!) ...I want the West Riding rugby area to be really competitive, big clubs with spanking new stadia, family friendly. Great news for Wakefield, we should all want them to have new stadia, let's hope the plans come to fruition, wish the same for the Tigers.

I enjoy reading the histories of the great St. Helens and Wigan teams, a confession: I miss Shaun Wane, a great personality, want him back in league! I cut my rugby teeth at Barley Mow watching Bramley, my first Wembley final was Wigan v Hunslet in 1965. My first job as office boy working with two older guys, one Hunslet, talked of Gunney and Gabbitas...the other guy was Cas, talked of Hepworth and Hardisty, I was fascinated listening to their stories.

Forums are for opinions, yes....I can't speak for other Rhinos supporters but my guess is the ones on here know the difference between deserved criticism of their team/club and the posters with agendas, the critics with opinions they sell as 'objective opinion or criticism' but really it's the wishful thinking we know them by, circling like vultures, with the cheap and easy jibe. Sorry to say Harry, like you, constant repetitive insults to my club, dare I say for the sake of it. I don't insult your team/club, Leigh, so why should I tolerate your constant sniping at my team and it's support?! Rugby League is the greatest game, it doesn't need to denigrate its clubs/teams. I'm very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences at Headingley but surely you can't hold it against the club, for ever and a day --- hooligans with the intelligence of a crisp --- a club who would welcome you and want you to have a good day, a good experience at Headingley. All the best to Leigh!

if leeds get a couple of injuries say to hurrel and another half decent player (cant think of one at min) then I think they are in serious strife

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

if leeds get a couple of injuries say to hurrel and another half decent player (cant think of one at min) then I think they are in serious strife

Dear ohh dear all this wishful thinking.

The world was coming to an end in 2017 when we were totally and utterly thrashed by Cas and yet we finished as champions.

Leeds are playing better than the league table suggests and will be just fine.

The Coach is learning about his players. The players are learning about the coach and his structures. A few top quality players are performing below par.

Lots and lots of neigh sayers will look foolish when the sun comes out and they hit their straps.

10 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Dear ohh dear all this wishful thinking.

The world was coming to an end in 2017 when we were totally and utterly thrashed by Cas and yet we finished as champions.

Leeds are playing better than the league table suggests and will be just fine.

The Coach is learning about his players. The players are learning about the coach and his structures. A few top quality players are performing below par.

Lots and lots of neigh sayers will look foolish when the sun comes out and they hit their straps.

I too think we won't get relegated but I'm admiring your optimism, I fear it will be misplaced though, I was optimistic that we were just in a rough patch last year right up to the Wigan away game where we just gave up and gave a terrible performance, it didn't really get any better from there on.

I do think some Leeds fans calling for Furner's head are totally in the wrong, I remember a lot of Leeds fans wanted rid of McDermott at a similar point in his Leeds career - that hasn't aged well!

We're in a really strange time because we have got a crop of youngsters coming through that if progress will be the backbone of the Leeds team for years to come but just throwing them in when the first team is low on confidence should be the worst thing for them.

I'm hoping Furner dropping Tui may have got the message out that the players need to up their game or lower their weight ?

I cannot see Hurrell going through the season without an injury or two he cannot surely play the wrecking ball every week without doing some damage?

Just to add Catalans had won 2 out of 10 at the beginning of last year ad I think Huddersfield were very similar, both finished in the top 8 and from what I recall we are not playing as bad as those 2 were last year at this point, Warrington also started very badly but ended up in both finals.

Now I'm not saying Leeds will go on to achieve anything this year but the point I'm making is the table can change quite quickly with a few wins

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just to add Catalans had won 2 out of 10 at the beginning of last year ad I think Huddersfield were very similar, both finished in the top 8 and from what I recall we are not playing as bad as those 2 were last year at this point, Warrington also started very badly but ended up in both finals.

Now I'm not saying Leeds will go on to achieve anything this year but the point I'm making is the table can change quite quickly with a few wins

Agreed.

We could and probably should have beaten Catalan, London and Saints.

We had everything go against us when playing the pies too.

We have played terrible twice, Hull and Wakey. That's it.

Many of the problems stem from ending sets better, discipline and positional play. All of which are in our power to fix up. We don't have a poor squad or coach.

Time will tell but I think it's much more likely that we'll be talking about a winning run in 6 or 8 weeks than a desperate losing run/fallen giant etc

22 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Not as a professional sport it didnt.

It seems to me a lot of people have forgot what the game was like before super league existed.

Taking inflation into account many pro players at the top clubs were paid more in the 80's than now...and many players were full time professionals. It's been a "professional sport" since 1895 just ask the Rugby Union...

The game was much more interesting , large sponsors were all over the place , there were varied competitions and plenty to play for and millions and millions more people watched it every year than now..there were regular tours here and down under , test matches watched by in excess of 50,000, county matches , six cups, weekly terrestrial live coverage , a thriving Colts system, A team leagues, A team matches watched by crowds in the 1000's...but yeah SL and the massive reductions in viewers, total attendances , sponsor revenue and playing numbers has really been the making of the game in this country. 

14 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

A team matches watched by crowds in the 1000's

I was a regular at the Friday night Wigan A team games in the late 80's.  Occasionally there would be a decent turnout, perhaps when a cross code star turned out for the first time, but for the vast majority of the time the crowd would do well to be in the hundreds never mind thousands.

Wigan were on top of the world at this point... both performances and attendances, I would be really surprised if another club outperformed them at A team level as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

The game was much more interesting , large sponsors were all over the place , there were varied competitions and plenty to play for and millions and millions more people watched it every year than now..there were regular tours here and down under , test matches watched by in excess of 50,000, county matches , six cups, weekly terrestrial live coverage , a thriving Colts system, A team leagues, A team matches watched by crowds in the 1000's...but yeah SL and the massive reductions in viewers, total attendances , sponsor revenue and playing numbers has really been the making of the game in this country. 

14 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

half a game on grandstand, games interrupted for the horse racing. County cups in played in front of nobody (and having been dead for 4 years before SL, not a single 10k crowd in the last Yorkshire cup). Living off the sponsorship of fag companies killing people, 6 cups nobody attended, part time players playing in front of terrible crowds and decrepit stadiums 

Without wanting to sound schizophrenic , I agree with both of these two posts.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

35 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah silk cut paid loads of money to sponsor, they also killed people and were banned from doing sponsoring. 

Slightly OT but Silk Cut never killed anyone. This is the second time you've posted that opinion. People have a mind of their own believe it or not.

rldfsignature.jpg

22 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

It was a quid pro to get rid of the absurd 8s.  Never mind rabbiting on about Leeds, it would be disastrous if Huddersfield or Wakefield were relegated.  And given the equally absurd top 5 in the Championship, there would be a distinct chance they would not be promoted.  

We should not have relegation.  Clubs that are good enough in the Championship should be expanded into SL if and when ready.  

And given that expanding the league would mean that the TV pot would have to be shared between more clubs, that would simply never happen.

1 hour ago, Chamey said:

And given that expanding the league would mean that the TV pot would have to be shared between more clubs, that would simply never happen.

That is a fair point and one I am well aware off.  The game can only grow that pot by producing a valuable commodity to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Watkins has to stripped of the captaincy, listening to his interview on 5live he seems a nice enough bloke but leeds need a ruthless rhino not a toothless tiger, he didn't come across well at all- the catchword was "obviously" well obviously" or "so obviously" at this point leeds need a peacock or sinfield leading from the heart of play, directing the youngsters and calling the shots, ranting and raving if needs be, Watkins has enough on his plate trying to find some sort of form to give the team a second centre (cos they have only had one all season)  furner needs to get someone to steer the ship or it will be keep hitting the rocks

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Watkins has to stripped of the captaincy, listening to his interview on 5live he seems a nice enough bloke but leeds need a ruthless rhino not a toothless tiger, he didn't come across well at all- the catchword was "obviously" well obviously" or "so obviously" at this point leeds need a peacock or sinfield leading from the heart of play, directing the youngsters and calling the shots, ranting and raving if needs be, Watkins has enough on his plate trying to find some sort of form to give the team a second centre (cos they have only had one all season)  furner needs to get someone to steer the ship or it will be keep hitting the rocks

Obviously.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Watkins has to stripped of the captaincy, listening to his interview on 5live

Stripped is not the right word but it's in his and the team's interests for it to live with someone who is more of a talker. Some people just aren't cut out to be captains - Watkins is a bit too nice and a bit too quiet in my view.

But it's not the biggest of Leeds' problems. The lightweight pack and the lack of a leading half back to run alongside Myler are the main ones. Releasing Mitch Garbutt continues to confound and anger me.

Speaking as an outsider and only seeing the TV games and highlights, this criticism maybe unfair. However, there only looks to be 4 top SL players in the squad from what I have seen. Hurrell, Merrin, Singleton and Briscoe are okay, the rest of the squad I'm not convinced are good enough. 

Myler showed lots of promise at Salford but has never really kicked on and made it anywhere. I was shocked when Leeds signed him.He is certainly not a match winner IMO. His kicking game is woeful and his game reading is poor too. Lolohea is a standoff, as is Myler, you only need one of them, not both, and I'm not convinced either are good enough, but a bit early to call Lolohea. As stated above, neither is a leader from what I have seen, which is what the team is missing. 

I realise Watkins is coming back from a serious injury, but he looks a shadow of what he was a few seasons ago, has his pace gone for good? If it has then there are big question marks over whether he should be getting in the side.

JJB is too old and would not improve many teams in the Championship, never mind SL. 

I quite like Dwyer and Parcell on attack, but both look suspect defensively. This is not something you can get away with playing at hooker if the team wants to win anything.

Handley and Sutcliffe look like decent championship players, maybe bottom half of SL at best.

The list goes on... 

Archived