Welcome Back!

7 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Wish I got as much praise for taking days to fix something at work. 

Had I been shown the above quote without the knowledge of who'd posted it, you'd be very high on my list of possible candidates.

Perhaps you should have a go at running this forum?

Then John Drake would be singled out for even higher praise. 

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Had I been shown the above quote without the knowledge of who'd posted it, you'd be very high on my list of possible candidates.

Perhaps you should have a go at running this forum?

Then John Drake would be singled out for even higher praise. 

Had I been shown the above quote without the knowledge of who’d posted it, you’d be very high on my list of possible candidates.

Perhaps you should have a go at Lee Radford’s job then?

Then Lee Radford would be singled out for even higher praise. 

Imitation, etc, etc.

Ask John how much he was paid for fixing the forum.

Why can't you just be happy that the forum is back so you can post your usual type of stuff.

See how tactful I was there?

Thanks John,despite what oliverclothesoff says,but I'm sure you won't lose sleep over it. As for rlfans,what the hell is going on there? It's just a mass glut of jumbled words. Reading it was like walking through a dark alley in victorian England only to step out onto the sun kissed boulevard that is totalrl. Shall I compare thee to a summers day? Etc.

15 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

A few people mentioning the dark side that is rlfans. Surprised that board is still going, I stopped going on there a couple of years back and it was pretty much dead then. I imagine you go on it now and a tumbleweed just blows across the screen. 

Back in the day, RLFans was a real ‘movement’. Hundreds of posts a week on the forums of several clubs and it even spawned a whole host of tackle and tag RL sides for a few years. 

The lunatics only tended to visit during the school holidays, but they’ve long since taken over the asylum. There was always a place for trolling, but it was generally inter-club stuff in the lead up to games etc which probably helped the profile of the game in some ways, with the clubs taking a very keen interest in proceedings. Now it’s just an absolute mess and, although TotalRL isn’t perfect, there is at least a reasoned debate more often than not. 

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Back in the day, RLFans was a real ‘movement’. Hundreds of posts a week on the forums of several clubs and it even spawned a whole host of tackle and tag RL sides for a few years. 

The lunatics only tended to visit during the school holidays, but they’ve long since taken over the asylum. There was always a place for trolling, but it was generally inter-club stuff in the lead up to games etc which probably helped the profile of the game in some ways, with the clubs taking a very keen interest in proceedings. Now it’s just an absolute mess and, although TotalRL isn’t perfect, there is at least a reasoned debate more often than not. 

This pretty much sums up the reason I stopped going on there. I found on here, while people may critise an issue they would do it through discussion and debate while over on rlfans it would just descend into shouting and ranting. Should one try to have a proper debate on there you tended to just get shouted down. There used to be some good stuff on the specific clubs pages but they are pretty much dead now as well. 

12 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This pretty much sums up the reason I stopped going on there. I found on here, while people may critise an issue they would do it through discussion and debate while over on rlfans it would just descend into shouting and ranting. Should one try to have a proper debate on there you tended to just get shouted down. There used to be some good stuff on the specific clubs pages but they are pretty much dead now as well. 

I think the reduction in traffic on club sites is largely due to the popularity of Facebook ‘banter’ pages. The home of the crank. 

On 11/04/2019 at 15:01, Old Frightful said:

I'm just relieved John didn't blame me after a query about TotalRL from me seemed to inspire him to upgrade the forum.

(Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that...)

I told our kid it was all your fault.

He said "Why? Did he do the wiring?".

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As you put Matt , there was much more inter club discussion both critical and ammusing , I do miss that bit , met a good few friends from other clubs on those sites , you'd get the build up during the week , the picking apart of the opposition team and how your players would triumph , then post match the pointing out of the poor ref decisions that cost you the game and how the opposition prop should be hung for trying to decapitate your full back 

Then on Tuesday onto the next match on a different teams board , where it would all start again, great fun , all a bit too serious on here , SL verses lower tier fans , expansionists verses flat cappers , all very ' Brexity ' either one side or the other , with veiled attempts at insult that the mods accept rather than just outright name calling 

But this is all we now have , occasionally I'll post on the Leythers site but it is a bit space now , as for the ' banters ' , well I'm not on that at all thankfully , it sounds bloody awful 

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 07:26, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I mean, you know that the chances are, he wouldn’t have done much, don’t you? It’ll likely be Invision Community who fixed it. 

I really don't want to carry on this pointless beef you seem to have with me, but for the record, I would never claim credit for stuff I haven't done.

When the forum crashed last Saturday morning, of course the first thing I did was submit a support request to Invision Community.

They looked at it and told me it was unrecoverable and left me high and dry, no further help or advice was forthcoming from them or anyone else.

What you see here is all my own work.

I genuinely don't know why that narks you so much.

Other forums are available if you're not happy with this one.

Mind you, next time Martyn Sadler complains about VAR not working correctly.................................................................................................

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 10/04/2019 at 23:58, John Drake said:

Sincere apologies for the recent lengthy period of downtime on the TotalRL.com Fans Forums.

Suffice to say, it's been a bit of a nightmare trying to rebuild the thing almost from scratch, but everything should be back online now.

It's inevitable after a major database rebuild that there will be a few glitches.

If you spot anything a bit strange going on, please either post the details here or send me a PM.

I've been working round the clock on this for the past five days, and it is now midnight on Wednesday, so I'm off to bed, hoping when I wake up tomorrow it will all still be up and running!!

Fingers crossed...

I'm getting a block showing "Loading" when I try to click through to the next page in a thread. This happens for me on Edge or Chrome

See below:

image.thumb.png.0d9748b407a4b2f806813657144d6948.png

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I'm getting a block showing "Loading" when I try to click through to the next page in a thread. This happens for me on Edge or Chrome

See below:

Hi

Yes I am having the same issue.  It only started today I think.

To view the next page, I have to return to the menu then choose the page.

Rob

22 hours ago, John Drake said:

I really don't want to carry on this pointless beef you seem to have with me, but for the record, I would never claim credit for stuff I haven't done.

When the forum crashed last Saturday morning, of course the first thing I did was submit a support request to Invision Community.

They looked at it and told me it was unrecoverable and left me high and dry, no further help or advice was forthcoming from them or anyone else.

What you see here is all my own work.

I genuinely don't know why that narks you so much.

Other forums are available if you're not happy with this one.

I bet you were on tarm and arf until 1pm then double tarm after.

Money grabbing bleeder.

And I bet Oliver was paying.

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

See below:

I’ve had that too although hitting refresh seems to get you to page without going in and out of the thread

On 11/04/2019 at 23:20, John Drake said:

Don't make me start wondering why I bothered. ?

To be honest when it went down I honestly thought you'd had enough and I wouldn't have blamed you one bit.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

25 minutes ago, Oxford said:

To be honest when it went down I honestly thought you'd had enough and I wouldn't have blamed you one bit.

Well done John, and thanks, I think you deserve a medal! 

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

Well done John, and thanks, I think you deserve a medal! 

Too true, there's thankless then emnity and then there's running a forum for RL fans!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived