Sign in to follow this  
Bedfordshire Bronco

"Super League" the name

2 hours ago, owls said:

not really , I dislike the name  Super League anyway,  I am sure we could come up with something better,

I don't mind the Super League name. 

NRL is an awful name for a league, but the brand is quality because the product is quality. 

3 hours ago, redjonn said:

Personally NRL as used by  "Australian Rugby League"  and its professional rugby league sports brand works for me....  The "Telstra" Premiership being of course the name of the league which I never see any confusion with the NRL branding. 

For me Super league without any Rugby reference seems daft to me.   The shortened NRL (as distinct from National Rugby League) works for me thinking from a simple marketing brand.  SL wouldn't - Superleague doesn't differentiate from other sports

BRL would be okay but obviously not just a British league with Catalan 

Also with TW coming in it can't be ERL (European)

ARL (Atlantic RL?)

Either way Toronto coming in is exciting...what do people think about it? Rarely gets discussed here so would be good to hear people's thoughts 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hrtbps said:

I don't mind the Super League name. 

NRL is an awful name for a league, but the brand is quality because the product is quality. 

I like the name " NRL-National Rugby League" despite a few flaws. Its unique and says the Sports name. No other Sport is going to use it, certainly not in Australia, NZ or PNG etc. I am sure maybe there are some better names out there that people have. I dont think its awful, even if its not really a National Comp for a couple of reasons. As you say , the Brand and Product is strong and instantly known by most Australians, even if some think League & Union are one Sport in places like Victoria and Western Australia.

I hate the name "Super League".It doesnt really say what the Sport is and a number of other sports use it. So when people say "Super League" it could be they are talking about Netball, Football or Rugby League for example. I would prefer "Rugby League" in the title somewhere. We are then promoting our sport and its clear what Sport we re talking about. If it goes to an abbreviation like the "NRL", then maybe thats not a bad thing.

The brand and product is of a poor Quality for me. It has to be of a decent quality and promoted/marketed better than what it has/is in the UK. We have had "Super League" for over 20 years and most people in the UK, I would think would not associate "Super League" with Rugby League. The Clubs have cut corners and made poor decisions alongside the people running SL. The Quality on the field is poor and we even have fans saying its boring and the messy PTB dont make it enjoyable.

Maybe Super League Should change to Super Rugby League) or SRL (Sorry Student Rugby League) and make more of an effort than it has to improve things like Marketing, Creating Events not just another Game etc. Maybe thats what Robert Elstone has in mind. Sadly the Clubs will be screaming and kicking over any changes which costs money. Must say Warrington have done very well regards to Marketing and Development in the local area. But still more needs to be done. Potential is there, but probably the will to do it not, by many clubs.

• Like 3

In NZ, if anyone says they played Rugby, it is taken as RU. If they say they played League, they think RL. Super League is viewed as something that came and went in the 1990's. 

• Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

5 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Huddersball, can't think of a better name. IMO, should get rid of the name rugby from our sport.

I agree sky dropping rugby.

But Huddersball? Northerners would call it 'Uddersball, and that sounds like an intersex cow.

• Haha 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

14 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

'Uddersball, and that sounds like an intersex cow.

Right. You've won the internet for the day.

Please go to reception to collect your prize.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The sport should've been called Origin Football League following the success of Origin, but we are where we are, and given the traction in Canada and the US forthcoming, I quite like the idea of nicking back the word rugby - so when people think of rugby they think of RFL, like NFL or NHL - there's always an L. a U is just, well, it's not what they know as elite 

Rugby (in places where RL is more popular than RU)

Rugby League where RU is more popular

Division 1/Top Division for our well, erm top division

Second Division etc

Get shut of “Super League” - it is old hat and damaging for the sport. Sky RL should be called Rugby League

10 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I think that the Super League name has had its day. If Super League hadn't have broken away from the RFL we could have had the RFL Betfred Premiership to go with the NRL Telstra Premiership.

That would have been much better and clearly Rugby League

Many criticise RL administrators for allowing RU to trademark RWC and World Rugby. Rightly so. Unfortunately that has come and passed, nothing that can be done now.

Can the club game of RL utilise the profile of the Rugby World Cup and RU’s international events to it’s advantage?

Importantly, there is still no real global club rugby championship of either code. The WCC is still an absolute tragedy of an attempt to crown a World Champion club side and meanwhile Rugby Union still has no such event.

“World Series Rugby” perhaps....

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

Many criticise RL administrators for allowing RU to trademark RWC and World Rugby. Rightly so. Unfortunately that has come and passed, nothing that can be done now.

Can the club game of RL utilise the profile of the Rugby World Cup and RU’s international events to it’s advantage?

Importantly, there is still no real global club rugby championship of either code. The WCC is still an absolute tragedy of an attempt to crown a World Champion club side and meanwhile Rugby Union still has no such event.

“World Series Rugby” perhaps....

And let’s be honest with ourselves, a global club rugby championship is the one opportunity that our sport can still make a serious global impact on before rugby union gets the jump on us there as well.

Surely the only criteria is to have "Rugby League" in the name.

Edited by Allora

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.