Jump to content

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Austin immigration used the fingerprint method mentioned earlier n the thread - 10 mins max and I was through - outstanding

JFK in New York has the same, I was collecting my bags off the carousel within 25/30 mins from leaving the aeroplane on my last 2 visits.

The border official was still as grumpy as ever.  And they still get flustered if you say you have visited Iraq and Afghanistan.  

The last visit to LAX in Los Angeles took about 2 hours to do the same.  


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/04/2019 at 09:27, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I think the thing I am looking forward to the most though is going to Gibraltar. I will probably spend the two days I am there basically just walking around the rock and taking hundreds of snaps of the views and monkeys. Some fun little features in the place such as having to walk across the airport runway to get into the town!

It's a funny place.  Not been for years, used to do some work there every now and again.  Nice restaurants by the marinas.  Also some nice ones in La Linea.  Walking much easier than trying to drive around the place.  The part British and part Spanish bit was always funny, they definitely liked mañana and siestas which marked the end of the working day!


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:16, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Thought I'd start a thread about travelling.

Discuss anything about travel; where you're going, reviews of hotels/airlines/cities etc, recommendations, favourite/least favourite places, stories, advice, whatever you want! 

Looks like I'll be in Basle for a few days next week.   Which should be fun.


English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

JFK in New York has the same, I was collecting my bags off the carousel within 25/30 mins from leaving the aeroplane on my last 2 visits.

The border official was still as grumpy as ever.  And they still get flustered if you say you have visited Iraq and Afghanistan.  

The last visit to LAX in Los Angeles took about 2 hours to do the same.  

A few years back a friend of mine flew into JFK.   Arab background and name, British passport.   He was pulled to one side by a border official and taken into a room.  They took his passport and left him there alone for about an hour.   When they came back they asked him why he had security clearance with the British government.   Displaying considerable sang-froid he replied "I can't tell you".    About ten minutes late the boss bloke came in and let him go with a grovelling apology.

I can't tell you why he had clearance, but I know.   What I will say is that it was the dullest possible reason!


English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steve May said:

A few years back a friend of mine flew into JFK.   Arab background and name, British passport.   He was pulled to one side by a border official and taken into a room.  They took his passport and left him there alone for about an hour.   When they came back they asked him why he had security clearance with the British government.   Displaying considerable sang-froid he replied "I can't tell you".    About ten minutes late the boss bloke came in and let him go with a grovelling apology.

I can't tell you why he had clearance, but I know.   What I will say is that it was the dullest possible reason!

I used to have an A2 visa.  They almost stood to attention and saluted. 


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2019 at 09:24, ckn said:

We're off to Malaysia in June.

 

Avoid too much time in Kuala Lumpur....it's no Bangkok that's for sure...dull business town

The Perhentian Islands are highly recommended ...great snorkelling/diving 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

JFK in New York has the same, I was collecting my bags off the carousel within 25/30 mins from leaving the aeroplane on my last 2 visits.

The border official was still as grumpy as ever.  And they still get flustered if you say you have visited Iraq and Afghanistan.  

The last visit to LAX in Los Angeles took about 2 hours to do the same.  

LAX is so bad I now refuse to fly there for life after 2 bad visits.....Corfu airport the same

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Where in Malaysia are you going?

Just had a nipper so limited travel this year i suspect, though i expect i'll be back in the UK at Christmas. Would like to try and get a few weekends away in Thailand & Bali in, but see what happens.

Langkawi this time. Last time we went to Penang for a friend’s wedding. 


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Avoid too much time in Kuala Lumpur....it's no Bangkok that's for sure...dull business town

The Perhentian Islands are highly recommended ...great snorkelling/diving 

The wife has a friend in KL so she’s off there for a couple of days while I stay in Langkawi. I don’t like big cities anyway. 


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ckn said:

The wife has a friend in KL so she’s off there for a couple of days while I stay in Langkawi. I don’t like big cities anyway. 

It's for the best....apart from going up the big tower I remember nothing but traffic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steve May said:

 

I can't tell you why he had clearance, but I know.   What I will say is that it was the dullest possible reason!

The Queen's astrologist?

Brexit advisor to the cabinet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The Queen's astrologist?

Brexit advisor to the cabinet?

 

Both of those would be way more exciting!


English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Both of those would be way more exciting!

Data reconfiguration and statistical analysis for the department of agriculture specifically focusing on the production and distribution of wheat?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Data reconfiguration and statistical analysis for the department of agriculture specifically focusing on the production and distribution of wheat?? 

Firstly, that wouldn’t require security clearance. 

Secondly, I know someone who does something along those lines - analysing satellite data to monitor crops and increase productivity and it’s actually very interesting!


English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Firstly, that wouldn’t require security clearance. 

Secondly, I know someone who does something along those lines - analysing satellite data to monitor crops and increase productivity and it’s actually very interesting!

Might require security clearance if it was the Queen's own personal wheat supply. No one but her closest advisors get to analyse her wheat! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve May said:

Both of those would be way more exciting!

I’m convinced most stuff marked Secret is only marked that way to satisfy the ego of the person writing the document. Some of the tripe we heard in meetings with “secret” signs up were about as important to national security as discussing pubs that do after hours lock-ins. 

  • Like 1

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ckn said:

Langkawi this time. Last time we went to Penang for a friend’s wedding. 

Ah, the Eastern Oriental hotel. One of my favourite trips away.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Ah, the Eastern Oriental hotel. One of my favourite trips away.

 

We stayed at the Shangri La a couple of miles further north along the coast. I loved it there, the wife did as well.  The sole annoyance was that almost all the time we were there there was a jellyfish horde in residence in the water.


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Ah, the Eastern Oriental hotel. One of my favourite trips away.

 

Beautiful hotel. I ve only been in Farquhar s bar for a drink (In Happy Hour probably the cheapest beer I ve had in Malaysia) . The rooms are much too expensive for my budget.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off to Kristiansand (Norway), Copenhagen,  St Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm and Warnemunde (Germany) in two weeks onboard a Baltic cruise.

Been ‘saving not raving’ for a few years to make it happen.

Always wanted to visit the Hermitage in Russia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just waiting for the bus in Cuba to take us to the airport. I’m in that strange moment we’re im simultaneously looking forward to going home while at the same time not wanting to leave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Off to Kristiansand (Norway), Copenhagen,  St Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm and Warnemunde (Germany) in two weeks onboard a Baltic cruise.

Been ‘saving not raving’ for a few years to make it happen.

Always wanted to visit the Hermitage in Russia.

Done that cruise too, the Vasser is worth a visit in Sweden, The Hermitage is a bit rushed the winter palace and the peterhof are more relaxed. We caught the train to Rostock when in Germany, in the church there is an amazing clock

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...