The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

43 minutes ago, POR said:

nothing went wrong scumbags banned from anfield end of story

the scumbags used the ban as an excuse to stop reporting on rugby league

nothing to put right  scumbags banned from anfield end of story

If they are banned from Anfield then surely the ground shouldn't be used. Why should rugby league get into the argument?

Liverpool are a multi millionaire business and can afford to lose a tiny bit of publicity from newspapers. We cannot. I would say the same for whichever paper.

The dispute is nothing to do with us. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether you think its right or wrong that the s*n was barred from magic weekend the sport cannot be bullied by a fading media and a disgusting rag which has destroyed many lives over the years. I believe it was right that Liverpool took a stand. A half hearted apology or not, the headlines and years without any remorse meant justice was not forthcoming for years and years. 

19 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Whether you think its right or wrong that the s*n was barred from magic weekend the sport cannot be bullied by a fading media and a disgusting rag which has destroyed many lives over the years. I believe it was right that Liverpool took a stand. A half hearted apology or not, the headlines and years without any remorse meant justice was not forthcoming for years and years. 

They weren't banned from magic,that makes it sound like we had a part in this,the RFL gave the sun & Gary Carter a media accreditation for him to pick up at anfield...it's then when the LFC press office stepped in...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

15 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

They weren't banned from magic,that makes it sound like we had a part in this,the RFL gave the sun & Gary Carter a media accreditation for him to pick up at anfield...it's then when the LFC press office stepped in...

I wasn't saying that. The upshot is they were barred and rightly imo. Makes you wonder that neither Superleague (headed up by Rob Elstone) or the s*n foresaw any problems beforehand. 

35 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I wasn't saying that. The upshot is they were barred and rightly imo. Makes you wonder that neither Superleague (headed up by Rob Elstone) or the s*n foresaw any problems beforehand. 

But it wasn't the call of the LFC press officer to ban them for our weekend event.

I read that UEFA overturn the ban on the Sun for Champions league matches there. 

Why therefore should LFC think they can treat the RFL differently?

If it really was a matter of principle LFC would stand up to Uefa even if it meant playing games away from Anfield. 

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Isn't it obvious that the Sun was looking for a reason to can it's RL coverage, and the Magic scenario gave them an excuse to do so?

That would seem the most likely and logical reason behind all this.

I do find arguing for the Sun questionable to say the least and saying it's for RL's footprint is complete nonsense.

Now a complete ban on the Sun on the grounds of it's discriminatory attitude towards our sport along with several other papers might be a way forward and a marketing push we could keep on track for quite a while.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Isn't it obvious that the Sun was looking for a reason to can it's RL coverage, and the Magic scenario gave them an excuse to do so?

You would have to think so. As it has been reported, it wasn't RL banning them. So to punish RL for an action they weren't involved in is totally unreasonable. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

It is a vile rag and I would rather bleach my eyes out than read it. But sometimes we need to pinch our nose and do what is needed for the good of our sport, like let vile rags report on it.

Not this time. This boycott is vindictive and pathetic, and entirely characteristic of the Sun. Not only should we not go kowtowing to them, but we should be far braver and go public about what has gone on and why we won't be apologising. Giving in to bullies, as JohnM would prefer, never works.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

The flaws in the sun’s arguments are massive, the evil people seem to have found an excuse not to cover our sport. I can’t understand why they would do such a thing.

Cos they are scumbags...maybe?

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

7 hours ago, POR said:

nothing went wrong scumbags banned from anfield end of story

the scumbags used the ban as an excuse to stop reporting on rugby league

nothing to put right  scumbags banned from anfield end of story

Ignorance is bliss, eh? 

I find the argument on a forum that posters' views don't matter telling and intriguing. Talk of matching demographics and our sport would only ring true if our sport was covered sufficiently rather than grudgingly. We always seem to be cursed with administrations that are terrified of rocking the boat. Which for a sport that beached the rugby yawnion yatch in 1895 and stillremains unfirgiven.

I feel that, like too much on here, we fall into, those who will stand up and be counted and those who'll wave the white flag before the stuff even begins.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

The flaws in the sun’s arguments are massive, the evil people seem to have found an excuse not to cover our sport. I can’t understand why they would do such a thing.

I think ultimately for all the excuses and the charade this is what it ultimately boils down to. This is a nice easy excuse for the Sun to cut costs and drop it's Rugby League coverage, as other newspapers have done. Everything else is smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

Any contraction in the coverage of the sport should be applauded apparently. 

Who needs the media onside when the sport is so firmly centred and prominent in the public psyche.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

4 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Any contraction in the coverage of the sport should be applauded apparently. 

Who needs the media onside when the sport is so firmly centred and prominent in the public psyche.

Indeed, it's a strange outlook. The sport needs all the publicity it can get.

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No, it doesn't. We don't provide Breitbart or The Daily Stormer with media accreditation.

There is no wailing over the fact that buzzfeed or the huffington post didn't cover magic. There are so many options we have the power and can choose. 

What a truly bizarre outlook.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Ignorance is bliss, eh? 

pray tell how am i'm i ignorant on the scumbags  and their ban for some one who list his interests as fact not fiction let me tell you a fact the scunbags are banned from anfield end of story

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I think you need to read the thread. Its kind of the debate going on here. 

No you quoted me to be argumentative about a point I hadn't raised. If you wish to change your argument to something else then quote that person. Its quite simple.

18 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I quoted you about the point of the thread. If you wish to post on a different thread start one. Its quite simple. 

Stop being contrary. If you are going to reply with nonsense to always have the last post at least let it make sense.

Just now, Dave T said:

What a load of elitist nonsense.

It is. I just don't get this holier than thou attitude. Each to their own what they wish to read. I never buy the Sun either but I'm not going to look down my nose at someone that does. The game getting less coverage and less news in a publication that gets millions reading both in print and online shouldn't be seen as good news, particularly when we get so little coverage as is.

I really doubt the Sun need an excuse to stop covering the sport. Plenty of papers have stopped before. They can just stop whenever they want. They don't need to justify it with this. It's just paranoia.

Equally, while publicity is obviously good in the main, how many non-fans thumb through it and think "ooh, wonder if there's a game next week." - none.

Coverage in stuff like that is just something that makes existing fans happy.  haven't they had a paywall online for years, so the online audience is already niche.

I do wonder though if they will cover the next RL drug/sex scandal - I'm sure they will.

Archived