Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
graveyard johnny

personalised number plates

Recommended Posts

utta n0b - was just thinking how much instant respect I have for someone with a personalised number plate, even though I have never met them I know straight away that this person must be far more successful and deserve their place on earth much more than me with my normal one, the ultimate definition of crass and well realy what is the point?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen a few BO55 (something) plates from people who are quite probably shy retiring blokes and we’d all never get tired of hearing about their corporate successes.

  • Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother’s got one but then he’s a right petrol head, I just don’t get it 


"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Leigh there is a RR Evoque with the plate LEIGH , all letters no numbers 

But it does have a letter ' B ' in the corner , said hello to the lady driving it the other day 

I did spot ' my plate ' a few years back on a black Range Rover parked in a pub car park in Essex , bstard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cousin once owned a 2CV which had the number plate CRY 848Y. I pointed out that it said CRY BABY and she's kept the number plate and moves it to whatever new car she owns. 

She's been offered a fair bit of money for it but she won't sell. 

  • Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw "5couse" on an Audi in Manchester once which amused me,then there used to be a lady regularly driving into Manchester on the east lancs"minge" was her personal moniker,always left people wondering wtf??  That reminds me,what's a cowboys favourite car?   Audi pardner!  Sorry everyone.

Edited by JDINTHEHIZZOUSE
To insert terrible joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had one and couldn't afford one but my last french number plate contained DH and I thought that's probably as close as I'm going to get to owning one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my thing, but met someone through work who turned up with the reg plate, 36DD.

It was either ironic or aspirational I didn't like to ask!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife bought me one for my birthday some years ago. I don't usually have it on my car as I usually change cars too frequently. This time I planned to keep my current model for some time and so I have decided to use it. I know the regs say that the spacing of the letters and numbers should be in line of the DVLA  guidelines but, it's pretty clear that the rules are flouted especially around here. In fact my current number plate is " legal". Partly because if I drive to Barrow there is a chance that the police will pull me in. It has happened to me in the past.

The local Evening Mail seems to be full of " Barrow motorists fined for......." articles. I wouldn't dream of partly parking on the pavement there ( to be fair the streets are wide in Barrow) , whilst here ( Some streets are just two carriageway wide)  if the motorists did not pavement park traffic would not flow.

Some years ago I returned the favour to my wife and bought her own plate. It is not currently on display She keeps reminding me to organise it as that is the only she can remember her number plate. 

 


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Phil said:

My brother’s got one but then he’s a right petrol head, I just don’t get it 

If people have a first year of a new model car still in production then they might use one to hide the fact its older

Most people do it for ego though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bearman said:

 

The local Evening Mail seems to be full of " Barrow motorists fined for......." articles. 

 

On the plus side I assume this means local law enforcement has caught all the burglars/ violent offenders/murderers and so they have time to focus on cars slightly in the pavement

Barrow must be great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've mentioned on here before that I saw an absolutely beautiful Porsche with the number plate 5AD and, after that, everything seems a bit boring in comparison.

I've also seen F8 (I think it was) and then checked that on a valuation site. It was worth about £100,000 more than the car it was attached to.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

On the plus side I assume this means local law enforcement has caught all the burglars/ violent offenders/murderers and so they have time to focus on cars slightly in the pavement

Yes.

Disabled people and those with pushchairs should just go in the road where they belong.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gingerjon said:

Yes.

Disabled people and those with pushchairs should just go in the road where they belong.

Or one can park on the highway and  block the road to stop ambulances or fire engines getting through.


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Or one can park on the highway and  block the road to stop ambulances or fire engines getting through.

If it’s a choice like that you shouldn’t be parking there at all. Bad luck. In my enlightened empire it will only be crucifixion for a second offence.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

 

 

7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Or one can park on the highway and  block the road to stop ambulances or fire engines getting through.

Nice try.... Equating a serious and dangerous traffic violation with parking 2 inches up on a curb 

I'm sure my brother who got seriously assaulted in an unprovoked attack 3 years ago would agree with the sentiment. Not a single arrest made never mind a conviction.

He did however get a fine by a mobile police van on an empty stretch of dual carriage way for doing slightly over the speed limit. This was on the way home from hospital a few months later.... He had many follow up appointments

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Or one can park on the highway and  block the road to stop ambulances or fire engines getting through.

It always surprises me in a city that was a home of a lot of motor car manufacturers a lot of the streets are particularly narrow. The city expanded between the two world wars as the population boomed on the back of car production. The suburbs were built to accommodate them but the planners obviously did not factor in that some day the workers would be able to afford their own products.

Compound the fact that today 2 or 3 cars per household is not unusual.

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To move away from the passive aggressive posturing and back on topic....

There's a car near me that always makes me think of the forum, registration B 1 NKY  and yesterday I saw a Ferrari with the plate 573CKN and wondered whether our illustrious overlord is now annoucing himself to a wider audience.

On the negative side, a friend of mine had a very distinctive regular number plate and decided she'd never get a personalised plate as it makes the car too easily identifiable, wherever she went people would ask her what she had been doing there as they'd seen her car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shadow said:

To move away from the passive aggressive posturing and back on topic....

There's a car near me that always makes me think of the forum, registration B 1 NKY  and yesterday I saw a Ferrari with the plate 573CKN and wondered whether our illustrious overlord is now annoucing himself to a wider audience.

On the negative side, a friend of mine had a very distinctive regular number plate and decided she'd never get a personalised plate as it makes the car too easily identifiable, wherever she went people would ask her what she had been doing there as they'd seen her car. 

A Ferrari? How 1990s new money... No thank you 😉


"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bearman said:

It always surprises me in a city that was a home of a lot of motor car manufacturers a lot of the streets are particularly narrow. The city expanded between the two world wars as the population boomed on the back of car production. The suburbs were built to accommodate them but the planners obviously did not factor in that some day the workers would be able to afford their own products.

Compound the fact that today 2 or 3 cars per household is not unusual.

Agree with you on this by the way: there are new estates being built everywhere where the road is obviously not big enough for two cars to easily pass - and yet these are estates only accessible by car.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not really personalised mainly it's just letters and number that may resemble something personal to an individual and requiring a belief that letters and numbers mean something different 5 = S / 4 = A / 3 - E etc

COL 1 N KEV 1N close to personal a I guess but few and far between.

I'm surprised how long it took the DVLA to catch on that they could it make a fortune from the vain drivers in the UK and have a price on every registration number unless they believe it will attract the very gullible - they go to auction.

They encourage the sale of so called ' personal' numbers and even suggest who may welcome one (AF11LLY) and warn you elsewhere that it's illegal to display details that do not meet the legal guidelines, plate manufacturers are not supposed to change the standard layout either clearly some are doing!

Just vanity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...