Darryl Powell signs new contract at Cas

Very interesting news. 

Great for Cas, although you have to wonder whether Coaches and clubs have "shelf lives". 2022 will mean almost a decade for him at the helm at Cas. Clearly he thinks he can take the team further, I'm not sure whether thats possible without some greater investment in the squad that I'm also less sure about whether he will ever get that at Cas. Perhaps he wants to lead them out at the new ground.

Regardless, this puts to bed any rumour of him moving to Leeds.

41 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Very interesting news. 

Great for Cas, although you have to wonder whether Coaches and clubs have "shelf lives". 2022 will mean almost a decade for him at the helm at Cas. Clearly he thinks he can take the team further, I'm not sure whether thats possible without some greater investment in the squad that I'm also less sure about whether he will ever get that at Cas. Perhaps he wants to lead them out at the new ground.

Rumour has always been that Powell doesn't want to use the marque allowance.  No idea if that's the case or not.

If true, the only resources he needs are to spend to cap (which he has) and maybe the odd transfer fee (which he has had ie Watts and Hardaker).

That's obviously excluding training facilities and coaching staff resources.

Id normally agree about a shelf life but I think in Powell's case he offers more than any alternatives we would be likely to have.  I suspect we will see a reinvigorated Cas next year under his continued leadership.

1 minute ago, Gates1 said:

Rumour has always been that Powell doesn't want to use the marque allowance.  No idea if that's the case or not.

If true, the only resources he needs are to spend to cap (which he has) and maybe the odd transfer fee (which he has had ie Watts and Hardaker).

That's obviously excluding training facilities and coaching staff resources.

Id normally agree about a shelf life but I think in Powell's case he offers more than any alternatives we would be likely to have.  I suspect we will see a reinvigorated Cas next year under his continued leadership.

I totally see what you're saying. I'd also add that without Gale and Shenton for a large part of this year has massively impacted the form of the team. Not using the Marquee rule is also an interesting aspect to his coaching. Perhaps he enjoys being an "underdog" rather than the huge expectation and pressure that comes with bigger clubs with bigger budgets. 

Iirc he said in the release that he hasn't achieved what he wanted to with the team, which is perfectly fair. You'd imagine Leeds, Wigan and even perhaps Hull FC would have been probing to see if he would come for next season. Perhaps he doesn't want to work under a director of rugby either. 

19 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I totally see what you're saying. I'd also add that without Gale and Shenton for a large part of this year has massively impacted the form of the team. Not using the Marquee rule is also an interesting aspect to his coaching. Perhaps he enjoys being an "underdog" rather than the huge expectation and pressure that comes with bigger clubs with bigger budgets. 

Iirc he said in the release that he hasn't achieved what he wanted to with the team, which is perfectly fair. You'd imagine Leeds, Wigan and even perhaps Hull FC would have been probing to see if he would come for next season. Perhaps he doesn't want to work under a director of rugby either

You mean, like, John Wells, Castleford Tigers' Director of Rugby?

Just now, TBone said:

You mean, like, John Wells, Castleford Tigers' Director of Rugby?

Fair point. Wells joined Powell's pre-existing set up though so its slightly different. 

At Wigan or Leeds Powell would ultimately be subordinate to Radlinski or Sinfield who would be established in their positions in the club.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Very interesting news. 

New ground !! Better sign a longer deal, dout cas will see a new ground this century.

58 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

New ground !! Better sign a longer deal, dout cas will see a new ground this century.

really well thought out, intelligent post. well done

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Very interesting news. 

I think a 10 year contract would not guarantee him leading themboutcata new ground!

2 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

You do know the ground cant be started until the electric grid, re route the power lines. Everything is signed off. Us Cas fans are as ###### of as anyone about it not being started yet, trust me.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

I think a 10 year contract would not guarantee him leading themboutcata new ground!

Hull fan? Borrowing a football clubs ground. Just like a few others in the league. If only it was that easy.

I think a coach can have a shelf life at a club before he becomes stale, the player's become accustomed to training routines, team talks, HT rants and such, it's upto the coach to continually refresh things and players, if Powell thinks he's achieving all that then good luck to him

9 hours ago, snapski said:

Until end of 2022. Brilliant coming on the back of Liam Watts's new contract too.

he’ll be gone before it’s half way through.  you can post this when he’s sacked.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Archived