The Daddy

Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

1 minute ago, Themusician_2 said:

I prefer RL having their own systems in place 

So do I , but that will take 20/30/40 years to start producing SL quality players 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Grid iron players with no experience of either code of RL will never be as good as somebody who has played ' Rugby ' , simple as 

I can't speak about the US, but all just about all Canadian RU players have also played gridiron and many who played gridiron up to the top levels below the CFL have also played RU.  Akarika Dawn is an example of a gridiron player adapting to RL, he played linebacker at Power Five school Colorado before he became an RL player.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Grid iron players with no experience of either code of RL will never be as good as somebody who has played ' Rugby ' , simple as 

Duplicate post removed — moderators, why can't we just delete such posts like we can on Facebook etc?

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I can't speak about the US, but all just about all Canadian RU players have also played gridiron and many who played gridiron up to the top levels below the CFL have also played RU.  Akarika Dawn is an example of a gridiron player adapting to RL, he played linebacker at Power Five school Colorado before he became an RL player.

But he's played union , and we are talking about SL quality RL players , not NC level or below 

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Have all Canadian Grid Iron players played Union ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But he's played union , and we are talking about SL quality RL players , not NC level or below 

Dawn's Wikipedia entry has so such information, and it also states that he played for the Burleigh Bears down under, a club which plays in the level just below the NRL.  That's certainly not NC level or below.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That's difficult to say, but I doubt that they all have.  Apart from the difference in how many players a team in either sport needs, the offensive linemen would have few (if any) skills transferable to RU.  Then again even they would likely have done at least some RU in their high school phys. ed. classes.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Dawn's Wikipedia entry has so such information, and it also states that he played for the Burleigh Bears down under, a club which plays in the level just below the NRL.  That's certainly not NC level or below.

Yes I know the Burleigh club , visited it once , how many games did he play for them ?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes, almost all have.  Mostly because the seasons in school are different.  Football is a fall sport while rugby union is a spring sport.

I coached rugby union, some of the better players on my team were also stars for their respective football teams.

My best player who was our stand off was the QB of his high school football team.

1 minute ago, CanadianRugger said:

Yes, almost all have.  Mostly because the seasons in school are different.  Football is a fall sport while rugby union is a spring sport.

I coached rugby union, some of the better players on my team were also stars for their respective football teams.

My best player who was our stand off was the QB of his high school football team.

So as I said , the ones who could possibly convert WILL have played Union ?

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So as I said , the ones who could possibly convert WILL have played Union ?

And among Canadian gridiron players, as CanadianRugger points out that will be the vast majority of them.

13 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

It's interesting that the QB was the best player, I think that guys like Doug Flutie and Tim Tebow would have excelled at RL.  How were his defensive skills?

Edited by Big Picture

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

And among Canadian gridiron players, as CanadianRugger points out that will be the vast majority of them.

It's interesting that the QB was the best player, I think that guys like Doug Flutie and Tim Tebow would have excelled at RL.  How were his defensive skills?

But none anywhere near good enough at the ' trials ' they held 

10 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

His number one sport was actually wrestling.  He was on Team Ontario for Freestyle Wrestling.  An all around superb athlete and his tackling was outstanding.  His wrestling background allowed him to take down players that were far bigger than him.  

Doug Flutie kicked a drop goal many years ago when he still played.  

Interestingly, he credited Canadian Mike Vanderjagt with the move who was a kicker with the Toronto Argonauts when Flutie was there.  Vanderjagt played soccer and rugby in his youth and he and Doug would practice drop kicks before every match.

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But none anywhere near good enough at the ' trials ' they held 

They signed Ngawati didn't they?  He and Ryan Burroughs were both with the club but the RFL quota system prevented them from playing more games.  

Ngawati is with Canada 7s now but he isn't a starter.  If League pays more they will get better players.  They won't be producing playmakers but prop forwards and wings should be easy enough to produce.

Just now, CanadianRugger said:

They signed Ngawati didn't they?  He and Ryan Burroughs were both with the club but the RFL quota system prevented them from playing more games.  

Ngawati is with Canada 7s now but he isn't a starter.  If League pays more they will get better players.  They won't be producing playmakers but prop forwards and wings should be easy enough to produce.

I've thought for some time that defensive linemen could become props fairly easily, linebackers could become second-row forwards and defensive backs could transition to centre or wing, what do you think?  Some safeties could probably handle the fullback position too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

So they weren't good enough 

Aye , if you say so 😉

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I've thought for some time that defensive linemen could become props fairly easily, linebackers could become second-row forwards and defensive backs could transition to centre or wing, what do you think?  Some safeties could probably handle the fullback position too.

😉

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Aye , if you say so 😉

I didn't say it, Paul Rowley did.  He said he would have had Ryan Burroughs in every week but quota rules prevented him from playing more.

Which is another problem that needs to be addressed.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugger said:

I didn't say it, Paul Rowley did.  He said he would have had Ryan Burroughs in every week but quota rules prevented him from playing more.

How well do you know Paul ?

If he was good enough he'd have been playing week in, week out, quota rules or not.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

If he was good enough he'd have been playing week in, week out, quota rules or not.

That's fallacious for a number of reasons.  It hurts Canadian players playing Rugby Union in Europe as well.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

That's fallacious for a number of reasons.  It hurts Canadian players playing Rugby Union in Europe as well.  

Are you suggesting the RFL make Canadian players quota players for Toronto. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

It's not, it's a quite obvious. A coach will pick the best team, Burroughs wasn't part of that. If they are good enough they will play. Blaming it on a quota issue is a complete red herring.