Why tonight’s relegated team will be hit financially more than before

The Super League side relegated tonight will receive around £450,000 less in central distribution money compared to previously relegated sides. Earlier this year, Championship clubs agreed to flatten the way their central distribution funding is split among its clubs, with small incremental rises between each league position. This is drastically different to procedures during the Super 8s era, where the…

View the full article

Total Rugby League
www.totalrl.com

An interesting article, though there are two sides to it. On the one hand, you'd think the relegated team will definitely have more issues retaining its existing players than was previously the case given the huge drop in funding from SL...on the other hand, in a rapidly diminished financial market, the £500k parachute payment means that pro rata they will have a bigger proportional central funding amount than previous relegated teams compared to their Championship opponents..

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If they get £400k central funding and a £500k parachute payment that’s £900k, which is more than the £850k the loser of the million pound game got 

Didn't Leigh and Widnes both get the £850k + £500k parachute payment though? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Ahh right, that’s a phenomenal amount of funding for a Championship club, £1.35M, no wonder Derek threw his toys out the pram when they finished mid table in the Championship and only got £250k the year after 

He " threw his toys out " because a SL cost squad underperformed to the point of not making the play offs , not nice , but his call 

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Would you favour a return to the middle 8's or perhaps just have a 14 team Super League with neither?

Last time we had licencing , after a couple of seasons I stopped attending most except the cup and play off games , I ended up going to more away than home just for the ' day out ' , I wasn't alone , Leigh's attendances almost halved over that period 

So I don't care how we have seasonal promotion , as long as we have it 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Last time we had licencing , after a couple of seasons I stopped attending most except the cup and play off games , I ended up going to more away than home just for the ' day out ' , I wasn't alone , Leigh's attendances almost halved over that period 

So I don't care how we have seasonal promotion , as long as we have it 

I was just begining to enjoy the middle 8's and it was taken away in favour of P & R and i didn't agree with it, but we can't argue that the relegation battle was exciting this season. Who ever gets promoted from the Championship this season i can't see them winning 10 games, but that's just my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So one club you're concerned with?

11 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So one club you're concerned with?

I don't think I understand your " a top down approach won't work " comment , can you expand on what it meant ?

22 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Considering all the info coming out of clubs, particularly in the lower reaches of the Championship, is that their funding for next season will be less than this it doesn't add up that the total has stayed the same and the distribution has been flattened.

I don't believe that the total has stayed the same LTS. The RFL lost a fair chunk of admin funding when the SL appointed Elstone and his support crew.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 14/09/2019 at 13:00, Southerner said:

Please bring back franchising with an MPG bottom SL v Top Championship (highest  Championship club that meets franchise criteria).

This way we can also keep the Championship playoff system. 

Lol. Why would the championship club have to meet criteria that the sl club doesn’t 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived