Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

2 Nov: Tonga International XIII v Australia KO 6.40am (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Tonga International XIII
      15
    • Australia
      30

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/19 at 06:40

Recommended Posts

Discuss Tonga International XIII v Australia here. (Sky Sports Action/Mix)
at Eden Park, Auckland.


.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia to have too much shape and discipline. They'll contain the damaging opposition runners and take almost every opportunity that arises. As usual.

  • Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at the two teams.  The Tongans have Tevita Pangai Junior, Joe Ofahengaue and Kotoni Staggs on the reserve bench outside of the 17.  That is some real depth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonga are in this.

I think the appointment of a ref will be a big deal. If an English ref, Tonga's chances improve. If an Australian ref, it'll be played to very much a 'NRL way' and that will preference Australia.

Tonga need to take every chance offered to them, and pressure the Australians into mistakes.

If you rewatch last year's match, Tonga held their own for first 20ish min, but thier cheap mistakes gifted Australia easy tries.

This will be close than most think.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonga don't have the creativity to trouble Australia. They might be good for a breakaway try or freak score but I can't see them scoring more than twice. 

Australia will be good for a minimum of 24 point. They will be far too strong for Tonga.

Australia 32 - 6 Tonga

  • Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Abicus said:

Tonga are in this.

I think the appointment of a ref will be a big deal. If an English ref, Tonga's chances improve. If an Australian ref, it'll be played to very much a 'NRL way' and that will preference Australia.

Tonga need to take every chance offered to them, and pressure the Australians into mistakes.

If you rewatch last year's match, Tonga held their own for first 20ish min, but thier cheap mistakes gifted Australia easy tries.

This will be close than most think.

Some may say , not me mind , that sometimes our refs favour the mighty Aussies ...

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this game will blow out to the type of scores that people are predicting - 25/30 points.  The Tongans looked disciplined and energetic in defence against Great Britain and played well through the full 80.

While I expect the Kangaroos to have too much strike power, I think it will be a pretty competitive game.

Wouldn't it be great for the international game for the Tongans to pull off a win here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week was Tonga’s best ever performance in terms of discipline and structure. No reason to think this won’t be the same. And then it comes down to moments of brilliance. The Aussies would win most times, but with more motivation and more fans behind them, I think Taumalolo and co will give us a win for the ages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always interesting to go down the team lists and see which players you would swap in or out to strengthen a team.

Assuming that the Aussies are the stronger (not controversial I hope), which of the Tongans would you swap in.  I would go for Daniel Tupou who is a better winger (at the moment) than Nick Cotric and Jason Taumalolo who would get into any side in the world.

After that I am struggling which shows the task that the Tongans are up against.... but as EW says above passion and motivation will definitely help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It's always interesting to go down the team lists and see which players you would swap in or out to strengthen a team.

Assuming that the Aussies are the stronger (not controversial I hope), which of the Tongans would you swap in.  I would go for Daniel Tupou who is a better winger (at the moment) than Nick Cotric and Jason Taumalolo who would get into any side in the world.

After that I am struggling which shows the task that the Tongans are up against.... but as EW says above passion and motivation will definitely help.

Addin Fonua Blake would be a good shout. Was top 3 props in the nrl this year.

Tevita Pangai Jr (who didn't play last week) would be very close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Last week was Tonga’s best ever performance in terms of discipline and structure. No reason to think this won’t be the same. And then it comes down to moments of brilliance. The Aussies would win most times, but with more motivation and more fans behind them, I think Taumalolo and co will give us a win for the ages. 

Would be good for the game but I don’t think so 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...