Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

2 Nov: Tonga International XIII v Australia KO 6.40am (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga International XIII
    • Australia

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/19 at 06:40

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

They offer no commercial value to the game. That’s what it comes down to at the end of the day 

Half the sides in team sports offer no commercial value to their respective games. The six nations probably earns more than all the other union competition (world cup apart). There is a need to promote international games and the RLIF has been poor at it. If we ran like it was with 4year cycles linked to th world cup you wouldn't get the overkill we have with the KIWIS, touring sides should replace the club games we use to play on tour with games against, Tonga, Samoa and the  other nations when touring Nz or Australia and the big two when touring England should play wales,France etc . I won't hold my bteath though.

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I just want to say on behalf of all the rugby LEAGUE fans on this forum, this was a funny comment and made us laugh. 

It will never cease to amaze me the insecurity of some union fans..... and why they spend most of their time inhabiting rugby league forums (check out the BBC HYS right now) but hey ho.... sweet dreams!

Their searching quest to be outraged knows no bounds.

"Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I just want to say on behalf of all the rugby LEAGUE fans on this forum, this was a funny comment and made us laugh. 

It will never cease to amaze me the insecurity of some union fans..... and why they spend most of their time inhabiting rugby league forums (check out the BBC HYS right now) but hey ho.... sweet dreams!

Ironic considering that there’s a whole sub forum on here dedicated to slagging off union. Could you tell me of an union forums which has the same for rugby league?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

How insecure are you? The fact that you even mentioned it even though you should be enjoying the moment shows that deep down you know the biggest game of the day is still coming up.

But seriously I’ve never seen the Aussie play so bad. Can’t let union get the spotlight huh? All in vain though 

Oh the little Troll with is lies and cheap shots is back. Why would I want to watch Kik and Clap with its 5 Minute  Scrums and entertainment value like that of watching paint dry? Seems most people are of the same opinion around the World. Most Europeans, Asians, Americans and Africans wont be watching neither. But no doubt the Union Calculator will come out to lie as to how many are/watched it.

Australia didnt play well as Tonga didnt let them. They got dominated physically across the park and the kangeroos had no space or time to do what they normally have done. Credit Tonga.

The biggest game is comming u correct-The World Cup Qualifier Italy v Spain alongside Italy A and Germany. Looking forward to watching both games as much as I have watching this mornings games. Time for a sleep after an early rise-no not watching the Kick and Clap Rubbish which amounts to the same thing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Oh the little Troll with is lies and cheap shots is back. Why would I want to watch Kik and Clap with its 5 Minute  Scrums and entertainment value like that of watching paint dry? Seems most people are of the same opinion around the World. Most Europeans, Asians, Americans and Africans wont be watching neither. But no doubt the Union Calculator will come out to lie as to how many are/watched it.

Australia didnt play well as Tonga didnt let them. They got dominated physically across the park and the kangeroos had no space or time to do what they normally have done. Credit Tonga.

The biggest game is comming u correct-The World Cup Qualifier Italy v Spain alongside Italy A and Germany. Looking forward to watching both games as much as I have watching this mornings games. Time for a sleep after an early rise-no not watching the Kick and Clap Rubbish which amounts to the same thing.

The salty Australian. All I see is a filled stadium in Japan right now. Australia isn’t the world. I know that hurts you but it’s the reality 

As a union fan it's sad to see union even being brought up in this thread after one of the biggest upsets in all forms of rugby. I love watching the PIs play so much, I couldn't be happier for Tonga. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Ironic considering that there’s a whole sub forum on here dedicated to slagging off union. Could you tell me of an union forums which has the same for rugby league?

I doubt there are any RL sections on RU forums.

But if RL had tried to strangle/kill off/wipe out/suffocate RU by overt bigotry for over 120 years then there might be.

P.S. enjoy the Rugby UNION World Cup Final whilst the wife and I watch last nights episodes of Mock the Week and Have I Got News for You instead.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

The salty Australian. All I see is a filled stadium in Japan right now. Australia isn’t the world. I know that hurts you but it’s the reality 

Yet instead of watching the game you are on here slagging off league. I presume it can't be up to much 

• Haha 1

Whoever was talking about the commercial value of Tonga, I’d like to say this:

I attended the Eng-Tonga game in NZ in the World Cup a couple of years ago and, as someone who’s been to Wembley finals,  Grand Finals, internationals, State of Origin etc, that will go down as the most amazing experience of my rugby-going life.

You can talk about commercial value all you like, but sometimes heart, soul and passion is worth so much more

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Only just really occurred to me through all the jubilation but how often are Australia kept scoreless in a second half??

I hadn't realised that either, there will be a lot of calls for people to be dropped for the next Australian game, starting with Sutton...... 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

Yet instead of watching the game you are on here slagging off league. I presume it can't be up to much 

So far on twitter I've seen it described as "nervy", "physical" and "jittery".... So basically ###### then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Just to get you up to 8,001 posts, who are you talking about mate?

Ha! Soz - got carried away, I meant Taumalolo. Though you probably guessed that...

22 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Maybe if mummy had given you more cuddles, you would feel better about yourself? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

I attended the Eng-Tonga game in NZ in the World Cup a couple of years ago and, as someone who’s been to Wembley finals,  Grand Finals, internationals, State of Origin etc, that will go down as the most amazing experience of my rugby-going life.

You can talk about commercial value all you like, but sometimes heart, soul and passion is worth so much more

It is daft questioning Tonga's commercial value isn't it? Take that game you mention (I am incredibly jealous you were there and I wasn't btw), there were 30,000 people at that game, all bought a ticket and will have bought merchandise, programmes and whatever, I would say a lot of money was made off that game.

Take the game today, the majority of the people in the ground were Tongan fans, we were getting concerned about the ticket sales a couple of weeks ago and thinking the event today was going to be a disaster but as it turns out the Tongan fans ensured the attendance wasn't too bad actually. When they come over here for the world cup, people will be fighting to get Tongan tickets (I know I will) and thus will ensure yet more sold out grounds.

In terms of TV, look at the amount of people today that have got up early/stayed up after GB game to watch this game, look how we were all saying during the GB game that we were just waiting for the Tonga game. Sky probably wouldn't have even bothered putting this game on if they didn't think people would watch it. That is the key. People want to watch Tonga more than any other nation. That is what they bring to rugby league. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

They were born to play and watch our game. This is just the start for the international game in the PIs. Where Tonga have gone, Fiji, Samoa and PNG can follow. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

So far on twitter I've seen it described as "nervy", "physical" and "jittery".... So basically ###### then. 

I almost just spat my shredded wheat across the floor! Don't make me laugh like that this early in the morning!

Edit. Just realised its 10 o'clock, times flies when you're having fun! ?

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

Guys, just don't bite. This was an incredible result and let's keep the chat on that and celebrate something special. There's plenty of time and places for the other stuff elsewhere. 

In fact, tell me more about this epic win! I had set the GB game to record, and woke up naturally about 7 so started watching then and sat through it all, much to my misery. So when I turned over to Tonga - which I didn't tape - there was only 15 mins left. I could tell I'd missed something special. 

Seems to me that what Kristian Woolf has done so well with is getting the team to play with real defensive discipline and organisation to go along with the flair. Quite an achievement given they've probably not had a whole lot of time together. 

But then that exposes why so many underestimate Tonga. People say they would run out of gas, play naively, not defend properly. Why would they? Almost all of their players play at the top professional level and have done all their careers. Taumalolo is a legend of the game. They know what they're doing and it'll be magnificent to see them at the World Cup here in 2021. Sell your kids for a ticket! 

*(And for those who say we should get them over next year... patience friends, we should resist the temptation to immediately flog anything good we find to death. They will be one of the big stores of the world cup, top seeded in their pool and we can start building the anticipation now. Take my money, Jon Dutton!) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

They offer no commercial value to the game. That’s what it comes down to at the end of the day 

30000 at Eden Park. Not sure you know what that means.

• Like 1

What a terrific day for International Rugby League. 

Good win for Fiji but look at what the games that followed gave us.

Two 4 point victories when New Zealand play Great Britain and Tonga play Australia and one of those games is the Kangaroos going down to Tonga. The Kangaroos would be a guaranteed 20 to 30 point winners in that game even up to just a few years ago.

How competitive is the international game right now... and we have the biggest and best World Cup coming up. I just wish it was next year and we didn't have to wait till 2021.

Well done Tonga. Wonderful result.

• Like 3