Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

2 Nov: Tonga International XIII v Australia KO 6.40am (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Tonga International XIII
    • Australia

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/19 at 06:40

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

There is another Oceania Cup next year, so Tonga will be playing in that as well as mid season. And then we get to see them over here for the World Cup. 

I know it is baby steps and the GB tour has been heavily criticised here, but this competition has given us something to build on for the PI teams. 

Every cloud has a silver lining and we had two clouds today, one had a silver lining for international development and a massive big black cloud had the biggest silver lining in Japan. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DiH68 said:

If I was involved in international RL I’d be calling an emergency meeting (or whatever you might call it) and working out what we’re going to do with Tonga. There is something super special there, and we need to foster it and develop it and see where it can go

Its not just Tonga its all the PI nations and looking to give all levels a regular calendar that is not worked out on a post it note.

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

There is another Oceania Cup next year, so Tonga will be playing in that as well as mid season. And then we get to see them over here for the World Cup. 

I know it is baby steps and the GB tour has been heavily criticised here, but this competition has given us something to build on for the PI teams. 

Australia dipping in and out when it suits certainly wont help the concept and devalues it. It is ultimately just 2 games with a Cup tacked on to it.

4 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Its not just Tonga its all the PI nations and looking to give all levels a regular calendar that is not worked out on a post it note.

It goes all the way from almost*  top to bottom. If established and emerging nations know they'll get regular international matches every year, more players will commit. And that would also be a draw to those new countries where a lot of players are dual-code. RU always had the dangling carrot of wearing the national team's shirt, and that's an area where RL has to catch up after decades of indolence and outright opposition.

*I say almost because, as more nations become competitive, Australia will probably have to think of a lot more excuses not to play tests.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Against NZ and Aus (and Tonga now) you’ve got to be able to score about 20 points per game to stand a chance of winning. Whilst we have shown an ability to keep the opposition down to fewer than that, our attack is woeful. It seems to be totally reliant on only playing some footie when we’ve got quick play the balls, but we won’t get these very often under international rules/interpretations - certainly far fewer than that team would do in Super League style reffing.

i don’t think it’s a team selection thing at all, even if some players are off form/past it - it’s clearly a coaching issue. That being said our players aren’t as good as lot of the players of the other teams anyway. That Tongan team is marginally better than us both on paper and on form, about the same for NZ too I think. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

Australia dipping in and out when it suits certainly wont help the concept and devalues it. It is ultimately just 2 games with a Cup tacked on to it.

Has it been confirmed the Aussies wont play in next years?

Just now, Dave T said:

I hope it's not. 
They're touring England, I believe. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, Mal Menninga in the post-match press conference said there is a test against NZ at the end of the year and Kangaroo tour to UK with three tests against England. Watched it earlier today.

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes... But of course people can switch countries if they are eligible.

But the point is are the eligibility rules correct?

The rules have successively been changed - I suspect - because various organizations find that it suits them to do so. The TV companies will like to see close games and associated excitement

The downside is that overseas born players coming in does limit the development of home grown talent.

For Rugbly League here we are limited by funding and terrestrial TV exposure.  If we had more money we could afford more overseas players and indeed more clubs in the SL.

How? 

39 minutes ago, Damien said:

I am not sure that is fair.

They have to balance the international game against the calls on their elite players, who play 3 SoO matches which underpin many millions of dollars of investment in the game. We are making progress, and more can be done. One major step forward here is that NZ can now play Tonga and make money while we have an Ashes Tour. That really is a game changer. Moreover, Fiji and PNG have a clear strategy for building their domestic player base in a way which can only see them become more competitive. 

If I were a dreamer, I would look forward to a Confederations Cup in 4 years time in which at both PNG and Fiji win games and Samoa and France are competitive... add to that NZ and Roo tours to the UK every 4 years, with Oceania games while those teams are away, and we have ourselves the best international calendar it has been our privilege to witness. 

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am not sure that is fair.

They have to balance the international game against the calls on their elite players, who play 3 SoO matches which underpin many millions of dollars of investment in the game. We are making progress, and more can be done. One major step forward here is that NZ can now play Tonga and make money while we have an Ashes Tour. That really is a game changer. Moreover, Fiji and PNG have a clear strategy for building their domestic player base in a way which can only see them become more competitive. 

If I were a dreamer, I would look forward to a Confederations Cup in 4 years time in which at both PNG and Fiji win games and Samoa and France are competitive... add to that NZ and Roo tours to the UK every 4 years, with Oceania games while those teams are away, and we have ourselves the best international calendar it has been our privilege to witness. 

But then they have to: 

- Fix this cycle of events and gives us at least 15-20 years with continuity (is it the right word?) when it comes to tournament, cups, tours, etc. We already know were and when the B&I Lions will tour, or at least we're sure they actually will. We need to know at least one year in advance who are playing whom, etc. 
Now with the qualifiers done with 2 years in advance, maybe they can really programme and set dates and venues also for tier 2 and 3 nations. 
I mean, if I was Greece (who are almost sure to qualify) I'd play Italy down under with the best players, say in a double header with a tier 1-2 game, etc. 
People need to know well before who's playing and where and by tickets, etc. 

The England ru victory parade had already been arranged for Tuesday together with all the mbe and obe’s to be awarded.But what did we get- 4 penalty goals and mostly kick, kick, kick. Rugby Union, surely the most overrated game in the world!! 

Please can we have Tonga based at the LSV again!!

• Like 3

Great victory , well deserved . Funny to hear the comms being their usual cocky Aussie selves just assuming it would happen , then getting more and more concerned as it went on ! Crowd unbelievable to . Great stuff for the international set up . Will say again though from the very end there ... gotta stop players diving on the floor ! Bit bizarre that but wow , for the other 79.59 they were absolutely blooming immense . What a pack Tonga have , they bullied the Aussies and snuffed them out . No fluke there , they’re the real deal and good to see

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Great victory , well deserved . Funny to hear the comms being their usual cocky Aussie selves just assuming it would happen , then getting more and more concerned as it went on ! Crowd unbelievable to . Great stuff for the international set up . Will say again though from the very end there ... gotta stop players diving on the floor ! Bit bizarre that but wow , for the other 79.59 they were absolutely blooming immense . What a pack Tonga have , they bullied the Aussies and snuffed them out . No fluke there , they’re the real deal and good to see

Why do players panic when they have a penalty with a few seconds to go. Why don't they just tap it, drop it in front of them carefully and pick it back up?

8 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Jennings was an Aussie until recently, did he wake up Tongan this year

The Tongan community dont seem to give a rats a$$ incase you didnt notice the sea of red filling every game they have played since 2017. I think their oppinions are more important. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Yes, Mal Menninga in the post-match press conference said there is a test against NZ at the end of the year and Kangaroo tour to UK with three tests against England. Watched it earlier today.

So definitely no mid-year Tonga test in the same way the Kiwis did this year?

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If the game can provide opportunities for the "lesser" nations to play more tests and tournaments, we'll see less switching altogether.

How good is that.

8 hours ago, solly said:

Provided you are eligible, yes, you can switch nationalities if it suits you.

That's the perogative of people with multiple identities, heritages and nationalities.

Of course, there is a down period between any switch and in rugby league, that period is shorter than other sports because of realities on the ground. 

But whether you or I like it or not, that doesn't make the representation any less legitimate.

I was reading somewhere that Jackson Hastings could still switch to Australia as GB are not classed as a tier 1 nation - he would have to play for England to become ineligible for Australia. That does seem a strange rule 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Yes, it has always been the plan.

Who is the 6th team in the Oceania Cup next year. 

This year the Kiwis have only played one Oceania Cuo game in Autumn, no reason at all that the Aussies cant do the same next year.

Agree with all the criticism, it's just the same as the previous Pacific Cup, or the European Cup, no structure, itll just get played sporadically with random teams in. And we wonder why things dont grow.

Just now, Dave T said:

This year the Kiwis have only played one Oceania Cuo game in Autumn, no reason at all that the Aussies cant do the same next year.

Agree with all the criticism, it's just the same as the previous Pacific Cup, or the European Cup, no structure, itll just get played sporadically with random teams in. And we wonder why things dont grow.

The Cook Islands are the sixth team.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I've never seen it announced who actually joins pool B to replace the promoted team. I've only ever seen that the winner of pool B gets promoted to pool A.

For what it's worth I love the idea but the execution is just poor. The teams being the same should be a given, even if it means a longer cycle. Even next year without Australia every team could play twice for 4 games, or indeed just have a group of 5 giving every team 4 games. Just 2 games isn't enough in a year.

• Like 1