Sign in to follow this  
Tommygilf

Ashes Tour Confirmed

And as per usual, the full stadium isn't all on sale... At least you can buy tickets on all sides of the ground. But for heaven's sake, show some confidence in your sport and back yourselves to sell it out!!!

• Like 5

Didn't take long for the doom and gloom to appear did it? 

People! People!

Ashes series announced a year in advance!

Games coming to a stadium near you! (in most cases)

What's to complain about?! Just be thankful you've got some internationals to go down and the Aussies are up for coming over here at all! 

So get your bloody credit cards out, buy some tickets and just enjoy the greatest game! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Abicus said:

Well, hopefully London isn't a um dead rubber by the time it rolls around

As a London based fan, I think putting the 3rd game here is smart as even if it is 2-0 to OZ, the Southern Fans and casual fans are more likely to turn out for a chance to see top level International RL and visit the most advanced stadium in the UK. 

I would feel this one could be close to sell out given a year to push sales. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Didn't take long for the doom and gloom to appear did it? 

People! People!

Ashes series announced a year in advance!

Games coming to a stadium near you! (in most cases)

What's to complain about?! Just be thankful you've got some internationals to go down and the Aussies are up for coming over here at all! 

So get your bloody credit cards out, buy some tickets and just enjoy the greatest game! 

Glass half full types aren't welcome in these parts...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Even as a Wigan fan I'm not keen on the DW Stadium, but I must admit there have seen some great atmospheres in there for games against Australia.

Bolton is a pain to get to, and away from, and I only live about 8 miles from the stadium.

Looking forward to the Spurs one though.

Ah c'mon Jim you're only 8 miles away.  See you there lad.

18 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Won’t complain about Spurs’ ground as it looks superb but I thought they may have tried to use the Emirates to try and build a bit of momentum going into the WC Semi-Finals in 2021. 

I don't think that would make much difference - people will be travelling from all over the South East to attend the games, not just the local area. It's the image, intent and content that will determine any follow-on bookings. 

The event pitch is 'come and watch the best international rugby at (one of) the capital's top grounds'. If anyone likes what they get in 2020, 2021 being a few miles down the road won't put anyone off. The fact that tickets will be immediately available for the semi at an equally iconic London ground (that's even more accessible for most) will do the trick.

They've just got to make sure that every fan that attends in 2020 gets immediate and sustained follow up with a good offer for 2021. The World Cup organising team seem up to the task so all to play for. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 9

I'll be waiting to confirm when i get home from work but definitely planning on going for the Tottenham game, my son (for a reason best known to himself) supports Tottenham and I'm intrigued by the stadium in general so it covers lots of basis (and means i dont have to go and watch a football game there to "go to the stadium" which is a plus)... depending who is up for it (i'll go on my own if i have to!) when i get home they will be booked tonight! already excited!! 

Definitely more excited for this than the "GB Tour" when that was announced which i think says something (and I grew up watching GB).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

thought the ashes was gb v oz not eng v oz?

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

8 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Ah c'mon Jim you're only 8 miles away.  See you there lad.

I'll definitely be there mate. Just because I have a gripe about it doesn't mean I won't turn up.

I'll be at Elland Road as well, even though it is my least favourite ground in the whole world.

Matches against Australia are some of my best RL memories, and I won't miss the chance to make some more.

• Like 2

At the end of the day Leeds is the biggest rugby league city with decent transport links and guarantees a 30k+ attendance. 

It's always good to have one in Yorks one in Lancs and a game in London

• Like 10

Looks like  the RFL are keeping fingers crossed it’s 1-1 going to London ! That would be pretty exciting and hopefully get a big turn out . No real complaints over these selections , I’m just looking forward to the tour and another proper Ashes series which always gets the juices flowing . Been to long between drinks on this one 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Abicus said:

Well, hopefully London isn't a um dead rubber by the time it rolls around

I'd be more than happy watching a dead rubber in London. Imagine 60000 England RL fans celebrating a 3-0 Ashes whitewash of the Kangaroos. 😀 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Looks like  the RFL are keeping fingers crossed it’s 1-1 going to London ! That would be pretty exciting and hopefully get a big turn out . No real complaints over these selections , I’m just looking forward to the tour and another proper Ashes series which always gets the juices flowing . Been to long between drinks on this one 

The third game in London could actually work out better from the RFL's perspective. 

For most of the target audience, attending in London requires a degree of commitment. Cheap train tickets go on sale three or four months in advance, many fans will book accomodation and they're going to do some degree of 'planning' for that game. Leeds and Bolton don't require that sort of commitment and are going to rely more heavily on 'impulsive' or 'walk up' sales - both of which will be affected by a 2-0 series going into the third test. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I'd be more than happy watching a dead rubber in London. Imagine 60000 England RL fans celebrating a 3-0 Ashes whitewash of the Kangaroos. 😀 

Forget glass half full with this lad, more like glass overflowing!!

• Like 1

Tottenham is a great choice but should have been first I feel just in case it's a dead rubber. Elland Road despite its faults is a safe, logical choice. Bolton is a little underwhelming but I guess they got it cheap. All in all a good mix and a good spread across the country.

17 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Forget glass half full with this lad, more like glass overflowing!!

At the moment I can dream. Come back to me after the 1st Test...😭

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Glad they've been announced so early. From a personal point of view, the Saturday dates mean I'll be waiting for the football fixtures to come out anyway to see which Bolton games they clash with (naturally at least one will be an away game so hopefully not a good 'un!) but I'm aiming to be at all three games and have already reserved my hotel in London for the Spurs game given it'll be tight for getting back north on the same evening.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Tottenham is a great choice but should have been first I feel just in case it's a dead rubber. Elland Road despite its faults is a safe, logical choice. Bolton is a little underwhelming but I guess they got it cheap. All in all a good mix and a good spread across the country.

I'd rather they just go hard at trying to sell it out before the series even starts, or at least have 40k+ tickets sold by then.

From memory the 13 WC Final was sold out well before the finalists were known, there should be a similar aim here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Even worse, Bolton? Why not just have it at Wigan.  

Old Trafford or the Ethiad might not completely sell out but would make it more of an event, especially for floating / new fans. Having it at a bog standard League One football ground that only holds 28k is completely uninspiring, and don’t the RFL think they can sell loads more tickets than that for the first test against Australia?

You forgot to add 'and is better than pretty much every RL ground in the country'. I'm not a particularly fan of Bolton's ground but any complaints about it comes with an overwhelming sense of irony that we are relying on another sport because our own can't produce anything like it. 

I will add that my biggest bug bear (I'm a stuck record I know) is that all three games are going to played on fields that won't be the full size and require short 10's. Tottenham might have half a chance of being 100m if they fill in part of the slope for the in goal areas. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

They maybe couldn't get the dates lined up,with Spurs hosting NFL games.

Really pleased with seeing the London test last. It's either all to play for or England trying to restore pride. Too often we start these tours in London and then end up with a damp squib after a nervous England fail to show up.

And I'm looking forward to being a wide-eyed yokel at Spurs' stadium.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)