Rugby League's Gareth Southgate.

HawkMan

The current mess of our national team reminds me of the soccer team at the end of Roy Hodgson's reign, going backwards. The FA luckily ended up with Southgate after the Allardyce debacle. So who is our Southgate? Someone recently retired, respected by the players, believes in youth and not risk averse, and preferably involved in coaching now with the upcoming age groups. A penchant for wearing waistcoats is not mandatory.

Given Wane's unpopularity on here despite his highly successful period at Wigan,  I'd give it just one day before the waves of negativity towards him swamp the forum. Powell does not in my view have the strength of character necessary to handle the pressure of being an international coach. 

To be honest, I'd disqualify anyone who is daft enough to want the job. 

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

The current mess of our national team reminds me of the soccer team at the end of Roy Hodgson's reign, going backwards. The FA luckily ended up with Southgate after the Allardyce debacle. So who is our Southgate? Someone recently retired, respected by the players, believes in youth and not risk averse, and preferably involved in coaching now with the upcoming age groups. A penchant for wearing waistcoats is not mandatory.

Southgate had several years of coaching/management experience under his belt before he got the England job, including 3 years with England U21s. Also, he was an extremely unpopular appointment initially because a lot of people were saying he didn't have enough top level experience. So the RFL should get ready to don the flak jackets if they make an equivalent appointment!

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Brian McDermott? He built a very strong culture at Leeds.

Good grief. It would only take one impassioned post-match speech - tears in the eyes, looking away from the camera, completely unrelated to the question asked - before we started to yearn for one of Bennett's monosyllabic efforts.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Not sure who the coach should be, it's from Powell, McDermott & Wane I should think but what I would like to see is Tim Sheens in place of Sinfield, he has vast experience with the Kangaroo's and understands the British game, ok he may not have pulled up any trees as a club coach over here but if you are going to have a director of rugby he seems far more qualified for the job than Sinfield or Peacock ever will be.

The names suggested are the usual suspects, what I was getting at in my OP was someone from left field, a recent player, young, innovative ideas, how about Sean Long ? True he's not been head coach , but been around the scene learning and could get the best out of the players.

Daryl Powell, Steve McNamara, Lee Radford, Richard Agar, Ian Watson, Brian McDermott and Chris Chester are the English coaches in employment in Super League now, with Shaun Wane unemployed within Rugby League and Danny Ward whose been involved in this Tour from outside Super League with any chance of being considered. 

The stand out names from that list are probably Powell, Watson and Wane. I personally don’t see much of a difference from Bennett to Wane in terms of style of play and if that’s something that matters to The RFL, I don’t see how you can give Wane the job or how the same people slating Bennett could want Wane. Powell and Watson are the two I’d be most interested in, if I was in charge of appointing a replacement and wanted an Englishman. 

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Recently retired?
Respected by the players?
Believes in youth?
Involved in coaching with upcoming age groups?

Sinfield fits all of those criteria (tongue-in cheek comment!). Someone who does fit all of those criteria would be Rob Burrow! I'm not suggesting giving him the England job, but he does fit the stated criteria!

I would ideally like an England coach who doesn't have another full time head coach job, so Wane fits the bill. McDemott would have been good too if he hadn't taken the Toronto job, a wildcard may be someone like Ellery Hanley?

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Southgate had several years of coaching/management experience under his belt before he got the England job, including 3 years with England U21s. Also, he was an extremely unpopular appointment initially because a lot of people were saying he didn't have enough top level experience. So the RFL should get ready to don the flak jackets if they make an equivalent appointment!

the RFL should get ready to don the flak jackets if they make an equivalent appointment!

Better wording n might be the RFL should get ready to don the flak jackets if they make any appointment!

???

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Watson, Powell or Ward. It’s not like it’s a full time gig so any of them could combine it with managing their club side. 

Yes, that would work. Not being full time, I mean. Just turn up on the day with a list of players who have never played together, have run round ten minutes before kick off. 

I'm afraid the problems go beyond the choice of coach. Yes, we have come close to beating Aus in individual games but on so many occasions we have been that close... but lost to a killer blow at the end. Mal Meninga, Steve Renouf and others have broken our hearts. 

If we truly want to to win, we have to go above and beyond the training, fitness, rehearsal, practice, stamina etc of the opposition. Club owners need to declare commitment to the international game and the RFL need to make the resources, time and money available so our team trains and plays twice as often as Aus. 

For some of the few fans we have at internationals not to turn up because they don't like the coach seems to me to make things worse, not better. 

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, that would work. Not being full time, I mean. Just turn up on the day with a list of players who have never played together, have run round ten minutes before kick off. 

I'm afraid the problems go beyond the choice of coach. Yes, we have come close to beating Aus in individual games but on so many occasions we have been that close... but lost to a killer blow at the end. Mal Meninga, Steve Renouf and others have broken our hearts. 

If we truly want to to win, we have to go above and beyond the training, fitness, rehearsal, practice, stamina etc of the opposition. Club owners need to declare commitment to the international game and the RFL need to make the resources, time and money available so our team trains and plays twice as often as Aus. 

For some of the few fans we have at internationals not to turn up because they don't like the coach seems to me to make things worse, not better. 

You wouldn’t have a full time coach for the number of games that’s england play though. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

You wouldn’t have a full time coach for the number of games that’s england play though. 

Why not? We are going to have to work ten times as hard as we do now if we are ever to catch up with Aus. The coach needs to look in detail at each and every player, not just at club games but on video. He or she needs to work one to one with the captain, with each selected player and potential players. Need regular and frequent training and rehearsal sessions. Needs to work with club owners, media etc. So whilst not necessarily 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year, I think there is more than enough to do more or less full time. 

5 hours ago, HawkMan said:

The names suggested are the usual suspects, what I was getting at in my OP was someone from left field, a recent player, young, innovative ideas, how about Sean Long ? True he's not been head coach , but been around the scene learning and could get the best out of the players.

If we're drawing strict parallels with Southgate (and I know you aren't necessarily going quite that far), who's coaching the youth-level England sides at the moment?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If we're drawing strict parallels with Southgate (and I know you aren't necessarily going quite that far), who's coaching the youth-level England sides at the moment?

Paul Anderson is the England Knights coach and England assistant coach, so probably the Southgate equivalent.

5 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

Paul Anderson is the England Knights coach and England assistant coach, so probably the Southgate equivalent.

That's a good shout, he'll know the quality of the youth, have their respect, know what they can do, and reboot England for 2021.

Archived