Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bedfordshire Bronco

Championship odds

Recommended Posts

Have the bookies called it wrong with London being favourites?

They have lost Alex Walker, Jay Pitts, James Cunningham, Matty Gee, Jordan Abdull, Luke Yates, Rhys Williams and Elliot Kear.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Leigh offer the best value there, imho. Decent in a double with Newcastle Thunder. 

Hmm. They might look value if their mooted extra signings prove to be spectacular ones, but as things stand, they weren't really very impressive last season and they have lost a few players, including their best forward, whilst the incoming brigade, so far at least, look underwhelming. Obviously there will still be some recruitment to announce though which may change things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Have the bookies called it wrong with London being favourites?

They have lost Alex Walker, Jay Pitts, James Cunningham, Matty Gee, Jordan Abdull, Luke Yates, Rhys Williams and Elliot Kear.

I agree, they have. It’s the same in L1 where Barrow are favourites but they did nothing to suggest that’s justified last season, and it’s the same in the football championship every season despite the fact that relegated teams are often in massive debt and struggle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Based on relatively outside odds to make me want to part with my cash - York at 10/1 is making me fancy a flutter. 

Yes, you can argue they are overpriced for sure. Finished 3rd last year, only a point behind Toulouse and 3 clear of Fev and Leigh. They don't seem to have lost many, if any, of their better players and have added Danny Washbrook, Chris Clarkson, Will Sharp, James Green & Ben Johnston (who I don't really rate but has his moments).

Yes they won a lot of games narrowly last year and won't creep up on anyone this time but it's easier to argue their squad is stronger rather than weaker this year.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes a change for there to actually be a debate about there been any value in the odds when there hasnt been the last few seasons. Way I see it is Fev offer the best value in those prices. Id expect better odds on Leigh to make it tempting as I expect them to make the top 5 but think they will add better signings later in the season as Degsy gets a sniff of SL but don't think they will come close to topping the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skybet Championship markets

Team Grand Final   Regular Season     Top 5
Featherstone       3/1             10/3     1/3
London Broncos       3/1            11/4     2/7
Leigh       7/2              4/1     2/5
Toulouse       7/2              7/2     4/11
York                            8/1            10/1     1/1
Bradford     25/1            25/1     3/1
Halifax         25/1            20/1     9/4
Sheffield     25/1            20/1     9/4
Widnes     25/1            16/1     7/4
Batley     33/1            25/1     3/1
Dewsbury     50/1            50/1   11/2
Swinton     50/1            40/1     9/2
Oldham   100/1            66/1     7/1
Whitehaven    100/1          100/1      8/1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I agree, they have. It’s the same in L1 where Barrow are favourites but they did nothing to suggest that’s justified last season, and it’s the same in the football championship every season despite the fact that relegated teams are often in massive debt and struggle. 

Barrow have retained the majority of their squad from last year, the only 2 who we were bothered about losing were Alec Susino and Deon Cross. For some reason other CC clubs have picked up players off us who didn't perform at all last year and left us with our better players. Added to the fact a large proportion of the squad have already been promoted out of this league, I think they are more than justified as favourites. 

I think it said a lot about the gap between CC & CC1 last year when Rochdale won away at Whitehaven. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hmm. They might look value if their mooted extra signings prove to be spectacular ones, but as things stand, they weren't really very impressive last season and they have lost a few players, including their best forward, whilst the incoming brigade, so far at least, look underwhelming. Obviously there will still be some recruitment to announce though which may change things.

 

If you are talking about Yates then yes but I predict Rob Butler to be a better player.... Like a giant version of Luke and he'll be great this season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how we'd cope with being favourites. We were underdogs/tipped to go down last time. I'd be happy with top 3, as I expecting a hard year of rebuilding. 

Featherstone will be favourites given they can pick whoever isn't selected for Leeds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Small squad though..... Second half of season may struggle

I remember reading they will intend to bring in players as the year goes on, so given they are an attractive set up they may pick up some SL fringe players and some young talent.

Its a interesting championship with no clear favourite and there should be some very good games. Shame there isn't a weekly game on SKY. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Have the bookies called it wrong with London being favourites?

They have lost Alex Walker, Jay Pitts, James Cunningham, Matty Gee, Jordan Abdull, Luke Yates, Rhys Williams and Elliot Kear.

Plus Nathan Mason and Ben Hellewell to Leigh - and possibly Mark Ioane to the same club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Small squad though..... Second half of season may struggle

Oh yeah sure, I agree. FWIW I don’t think York will go up (more the pity as that’s who I’d personally like to see in SL) but based on the odds and value for money for a punt, they seem most appealing to me. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

God I hope Toulouse go up. 

Toulouse have released their star centre and winger Gavin Marguerite. Negotiations over an extension of his contract have broken down. 

They need a replacement for him, and a couple of strong NRL quality props, if they are to have a good chance of promotion for 2021.. 

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Oh yeah sure, I agree. FWIW I don’t think York will go up (more the pity as that’s who I’d personally like to see in SL) but based on the odds and value for money for a punt, they seem most appealing to me. 

Value I guess they call it. I don't actually bet myself just find the odds interesting 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlanE said:

Plus Nathan Mason and Ben Hellewell to Leigh - and possibly Mark Ioane to the same club.

Almost a full team, then.

Seems they are largely going with their yoof next year, which is very commendable. It’s becoming a real conveyor belt over there in West London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Almost a full team, then.

Seems they are largely going with their yoof next year, which is very commendable. It’s becoming a real conveyor belt over there in West London.

Beats being a conveyer belt over the pond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dealwithit said:

God I hope Toulouse go up. 

They have to earn it first. 

Hopefully the RFL will have learned from the advantageous effect it has for one of the teams in playing the GF at their ground, without question the GF should be at a neutral venue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...