The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, wiganermike said:

I don't think that the results on the TRL poll will be solely influenced by age demographic, but also the affiliation of those casting the votes as well. Like the famous vote to choose a player to name an end at Man City's ground that was hijacked by rival supporters and resulted in the vote being won in favour of Colin Bell.

True to an extent, I know a fair few people my age who are anti Toronto in the real luddites vein, but they tend to be luddites about everything else and doubt they'd vote on a TRL poll. There's also a view of the demographics of twitter v Facebook etc.

I also think its worth pointing out I posted that after asking what the numbers are for the TRL poll.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure what the ‘promotion’ of Toulouse without a solid plan around them, actually achieves other than bringing Super League up to twelve clubs. Replacing one expansion side with another without any sort of plan around how the powers that be want Super League to grow and where they want Toulouse to go as a club. Without a plan, it’s essentially a like-for-like replacement and the vicious cycle will continue till Toulouse drop back to the Championship. 

You could easily substitute Leigh for Toronto and heartland for expansion in that post.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Either Toronto are in SL next year or they are out, SL goes with 11 or promotes a team either by selection or by earning it on the field of play.

Just make a bloody decision, whichever they go for somebody is going to be upset but get it done.

Basically. The longer it goes on the sillier it seems. 

12 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Basically. The longer it goes on the sillier it seems. 

And it benefits no one, Mr Arglye we are informed made his presentation to the RFL and SL last Thursday, with what we are lead to believe was an ultimatum of give us the funding, which was reported that was not recieved very well.

I have not heard that there is any follow up meeting to further discuss the situation or announce a decision, as you say the longer it goes the sillier it seems.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Mate, I`m an Australian who was flicking through the news page and saw the poll and voted. Don`t know anything about it`s readership.

Was taken aback by the results though.

Now you are just beginning to understand what Toronto faces dealing with such people....

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And it benefits no one, Mr Arglye we are informed made his presentation to the RFL and SL last Thursday, with what we are lead to believe was an ultimatum of give us the funding, which was reported that was not recieved very well.

I have not heard that there is any follow up meeting to further discuss the situation or announce a decision, as you say the longer it goes the sillier it seems.

But Harry you are always the one who argues for 'sober second thought' whenever it comes to Toronto and expansion....now they are doing that and you complain...come on Harry, you are like a ping pong ball on this.

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's hardly a long time ago Harry. This has hardly been dragging on! 

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Now you are just beginning to understand what Toronto faces dealing with such people....

For a nation that once conquered 2/3rd`s of the globe,  a lot and I won`t say all , sure have lost their bottle.

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

But Harry you are always the one who argues for 'sober second thought' whenever it comes to Toronto and expansion....now they are doing that and you complain...come on Harry, you are like a ping pong ball on this.

My argument has always been that until Toronto are a proven finished article I don't see the point of allowing other clubs from the same part of the world into the system to make the same mistakes, I said which you will remember simply because you commented about it was my proposed learning and assesment period to evalute Toronto's good and not so good expierences of 7years.

Life must go on in Rugby League circles, it is now a very simple YES Mr Argyle we agree to your demands, or NO we don't, he has already said what course of action he will take whatever the outcome, wouldn't you like to know what next year brings for your club? 

Ping pong ball my ariss.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Tell that to the players who are currently unpaid for almost 2 months and in limbo about next year !

If only for their sake a decision needs to made quickly. A player like Stevie Ward would probably be able to attract a good offer elsewhere even at this late stage but not if he is contracted to Toronto. The longer it goes on the less likely those players are to get decent deals anywhere.

Its not just about a club its about people's livelihoods.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I’ve been a big supporter of Toronto from the beginning, but logistically I just can’t see it working now and wonder whether they can be mothballed until sometime in the future when international travel can be more easily managed.

I believe regional sport is now the order of the day for professional sport in the COVID-19 world so I would encourage those Championship sides like Leigh, Fev and London who want to take a stab at Super League to organise a competition between them to see who gets in.

Then when the post COVID-19 world arrives I would look at opening up again to international sides if the interest is still there, probably through some form of licensing system starting on a set date.  

I) What happens to the players & their contracts?

II) If there is a turnaround would Toronto be allowed back in to SL for 2021?

III) Will there be a bun fight for their players?

IV) Will the place be help open for them for 2021?

V) Will Catalans, Toulouse, and Ontario go the same way?

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

If that is for not making a decision I will agree with you, is it for any other reason. 

Harry you are a deadset whinger .

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Tell that to the players who are currently unpaid for almost 2 months and in limbo about next year !

If only for their sake a decision needs to made quickly. A player like Stevie Ward would probably be able to attract a good offer elsewhere even at this late stage but not if he is contracted to Toronto. The longer it goes on the less likely those players are to get decent deals anywhere.

It has been widely reported that David Argyle has told the contracted players and recent signings that they are free to find other clubs rather than wait. So for someone like Ward who would likely be able to attract interest it is not likely to be too much of a problem if he wants certainty now on where he plays next year.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If and it is a very big if, Toronto are going to replaced by a Championship club through on-field performance, then preperation time to commence hostilities will be required and no doubt squad strengthening for all the competing clubs would be considered. If they are going to be replaced by selection then that could alienate a lot of fans.

Why and how long would you wait for a decision David?

Can't be bothered reading through 188 pages.  Last time I checked in Toronto were going to save Super League and turn the sport into an international powerhouse so just wondered how they are getting on? 😜

Seriously though have they lost all their funding or what?  going from funding themselves without a SL share of the central pot and spending more than the salary cap on one player, to not being able to afford to finish the season is one hell of a jump (even in these uncertain times).

If SL give them another go next season can they afford it? Aren't they asking the people of Toronto to chip in?
Transatlantic sport at championship level definitely isn't sustainable so as I fan of a championship club I'd rather they stayed in SL.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

They have all been told they can go elsewhere. But as difficult as that is, it still hasn't been a long time.  

They pulled out this time last week and the hearing was less than 2 working days ago. 

I agree they should be making a decision urgently, but there doesn't appear to have been dragging of feet as yet. 

6 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

It has been widely reported that David Argyle has told the contracted players and recent signings that they are free to find other clubs rather than wait. So for someone like Ward who would likely be able to attract interest it is not likely to be too much of a problem if he wants certainty now on where he plays next year.

Him telling them that is one thing, actually cancelling their contracts and registering them as free agents with the RFL is quite another. They can't sign for another club until Toronto officially release them from their contracts.

FWIW, Argyle also promised the players they'd be paid their contracts up for the rest of the year but now Bob Hunter admits he doesn't know where the money is coming from to pay the wage arrears never mind the future commitments. So what is Mr Argyle's word worth ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If and it is a very big if, Toronto are going to replaced by a Championship club through on-field performance, then preperation time to commence hostilities will be required and no doubt squad strengthening for all the competing clubs would be considered. If they are going to be replaced by selection then that could alienate a lot of fans.

Why and how long would you wait for a decision David?

As per my reply to Derwent, we should be making this decision urgently, probably in the next 7 to 14 days, but I'm not going to accuse them of dragging their feet so far. 

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Oh my, I am upset and beside myself with grief that you consider that, pray tell me why you have come to that use that description. 

Harry you are a deadset whinger.

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not sure what the ‘promotion’ of Toulouse without a solid plan around them, actually achieves other than bringing Super League up to twelve clubs. Replacing one expansion side with another without any sort of plan around how the powers that be want Super League to grow and where they want Toulouse to go as a club. Without a plan, it’s essentially a like-for-like replacement and the vicious cycle will continue till Toulouse drop back to the Championship. 

Toronto Vs fev play off final 13000 fans

Toulouse play off semi final 600. 

Without a doubt the club's will vote for Toulouse .

5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Him telling them that is one thing, actually cancelling their contracts and registering them as free agents with the RFL is quite another. They can't sign for another club until Toronto officially release them from their contracts.

FWIW, Argyle also promised the players they'd be paid their contracts up for the rest of the year but now Bob Hunter admits he doesn't know where the money is coming from to pay the wage arrears never mind the future commitments. So what is Mr Argyle's word worth ?

I suggest it is worth the decision of SL giving the go ahead to his funding request.

Archived