coronavirus

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

what happened to ebola and bird flu etc etc? another story that will be forgot by easter

Course, mate.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

what happened to ebola and bird flu etc etc? another story that will be forgot by easter - fake news, although am laying off the prawn toast for a while just in case 

There's certainly a rolling caravan of news. We haven't heard anything this week about the bushfires in Australia. It dominated the news last week.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Ebola was contained by a pretty serious effort by a lot of smart (& brave) people.

SARS/Bird Flu turned out not be as bad as the annual winter flu outbreaks, and all the evidence so far is coronavirus will be the same. Half a million deaths from influenza in a good year, a lot more in a bad year.

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

There's certainly a rolling caravan of news. We haven't heard anything this week about the bushfires in Australia. It dominated the news last week.

The fires are still here. Last Thursday Canberra Airport had to close due to fires, I was breathing smoke all last night and a new fire has just started not far from Canberra.

This photo was posted online and it shows what rolled in last night..

DC12BFBC-CDAF-48A6-B4B8-0608A7B43289.jpeg

2 hours ago, JonM said:

all the evidence so far is coronavirus will be the same. Half a million deaths from influenza in a good year, a lot more in a bad year.

Which is not to say that governments shouldn't take this outbreak seriously - clearly stopping it from spreading is the correct thing to do and will save a lot of lives. But as an individual, it really shouldn't be on your radar as a thing to worry about.

20 minutes ago, JonM said:

Which is not to say that governments shouldn't take this outbreak seriously - clearly stopping it from spreading is the correct thing to do and will save a lot of lives. But as an individual, it really shouldn't be on your radar as a thing to worry about.

Oh but it is ?

Just want to clarify I'm not saying it should be on your radar, but that it is on mine. Even though I live in a tiny village.

I think those live animal/ insect/bird etc markets should be the concern here- if doesn't highlight all the wrongs of chinas dreadful animal welfare policies (or lack of) then what does

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On the one hand you have people saying it’s less dangerous than the flu (obviously the flu is dangerous, but it’s not Ebola/zombie apocalypse dangerous). 

On the other, you have a reaction from governments which suggests something more dangerous.  Quarantining a whole city for example.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

20 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

On the one hand you have people saying it’s less dangerous than the flu (obviously the flu is dangerous, but it’s not Ebola/zombie apocalypse dangerous). 

On the other, you have a reaction from governments which suggests something more dangerous.  Quarantining a whole city for example.

Better to prevent than to cure (which there isn't one yet).

I was having anxiety about the whole situation but I've done some ACTUAL research and not reading scaremongering twitter posts from diseaseguy420 and I recommend others do the same and only read factual information from reputable sources.

The fact that it's new is probably the scariest thing, and the media jumping on it to generate hits.

There has been 20 "epidemics" in the past 10 years and I'd wager that people have only heard of about 2 or 3 of them, merely just because they're not been reported by the media. 5000 have died in DR Congo since November because of a measles outbreak that's still happening but are we scared about that, or do we even realise it's happening?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics#21st_century

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

That does makes sense. The flu is a serious thing that kills many people and those who survive it suffer and are out of action. But, like car accidents, we are used to it.

To give you a comparison, I have done work for a facility making polio vaccine. By rights, it should be treated as biosafety level 2, like flu. But, the impact of it being released into the world is far more significant that the flu, so we treat it as biosafety level 3.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

14 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

5000 have died in DR Congo since November because of a measles outbreak that's still happening but are we scared about that, or do we even realise it's happening?

World Service has had intermittent coverage of that but point taken

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I see they have quarantined a cruise ship near Rome after a chinese passenger who flew from HK recently to join the cruise has developed a fever

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51314138

https://twitter.com/marklowen/status/1222891759698509824?s=20

BREAKING: Italian news agency

reports that according to the first tests, #Coronavirus is NOT present on the cruise ship at Civitavecchia.

7 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Mixed messages in Singapore. Dont wear a mask unless youre ill, yet there will be masks available for all households in the next few days.

Travelled into Singapore heading to Darwin last week , you've got some serious shipping anchored offshore .

7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Spoke to my brother in NZ this morning , he has a few good Chinese mates , they're telling him it's much worse than the Chinese government are letting on 

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

they're telling him it's much worse than the Chinese government are letting on 

Given the Chinese authorities relationship to the truth that's not that surprising.

Judging them by their actions, I'd say they're bricking themselves.

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Given the Chinese authorities relationship to the truth that's not that surprising.

Judging them by their actions, I'd say they're bricking themselves.

When a country is knocking up emergency hospitals in 2 weeks it is fairly certain it is more than a sniffle and runny nose

Archived