Another sad one, I'm sure there will be many.

Seb Lewis, 38, who had attended 1,076 consecutive Charlton Athletic games, was admitted to hospital after suffering covid-19 symptoms. The virus was confirmed. He died today.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

40 minutes ago, ckn said:

It's billhooks. No other cause of death is filtered for family sensitivity. It'll be a Cummings masterplan of Trumpist nature to keep the death count down just in case it upsets the financial folk.

Alternatively, if it is true, then maybe the change has more to do with protecting the families than any conspiracy theory you appear intent upon believing.  Paramedics have been left homeless and others have been abused because of their work with or potential link to Covid 19. 

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Alternatively, if it is true, then maybe the change has more to do with protecting the families than any conspiracy theory you appear intent upon believing.  Paramedics have been left homeless and others have been abused because of their work with or potential link to Covid 19. 

Why would aggregated anonymous numbers need consent?

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

No-one cares about the families when suicides are reported. It's a matter of legal fact.

On your 2nd sentence, not sure what that has to do with death statistics. You're right, there are thwaites around the country abusing NHS folk, Kent Ambulances had 6 ambulances out of service due to vandalism the other night.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why would aggregated anonymous numbers need consent?

They aren't anonymous in the local community.  People will know, especially as the virus spreads.  There could be some very negative reactions.

However, that might all be billhooks as ckn would say.  I'm simply putting forward a theory.  I haven't heard any reference to this on the mainstream media news as yet, which is where I am getting my news from as I think it's more reliable than an internet discussion forum even though I'm still sceptical when I'm listening to the news.  At least I get to hear what government representatives directly.

Everything said needs the proverbial pinch but especially government representatives.

On n'est pas là pour se faire engueuler

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They aren't anonymous in the local community.  People will know, especially as the virus spreads.  There could be some very negative reactions.

However, that might all be billhooks as ckn would say.  I'm simply putting forward a theory.  I haven't heard any reference to this on the mainstream media news as yet, which is where I am getting my news from as I think it's more reliable than an internet discussion forum even though I'm still sceptical when I'm listening to the news.  At least I get to hear what government representatives directly.

And this is part of the problem, the halving of deaths was announced hours after the press conference meaning it couldn't be questioned and no context was added. 

It's pretty dangerous to lead people to believe this has halved at a time when you are trying to convince them this is serious and they should stay at home. 

Even if they did change methodology, it should have been announced with the numbers. 

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

No-one cares about the families when suicides are reported. It's a matter of legal fact.

On your 2nd sentence, not sure what that has to do with death statistics. You're right, there are thwaites around the country abusing NHS folk, Kent Ambulances had 6 ambulances out of service due to vandalism the other night.

I really don't see the link in release anonymous figures and attacks on Paramedics. They were anonymous before and will be anonymous after. Talk about grasping at straws.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

I really don't see the link in release anonymous figures and attacks on Paramedics. They were anonymous before and will be anonymous after. Talk about grasping at straws.

The connection was people behaving badly I think.

On n'est pas là pour se faire engueuler

Serious question here 

Could the Tribord Easybreath snorkel mask be used if fitted with a suitable filter for some NHS staff ?

3 hours ago, Damien said:

My working from attire consists entirely of Rugby jerseys, sports tops and shorts. All things that don't need ironing!

Whats a Iron?

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

An , an iron , not ' a ' iron 

🙈🙉🙊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Apologies for sharing from a political account. It's not really a political point, I'm making.

But could maybe @ckn or others explain how the point made in the video makes sense. You don't need family consent to count numbers killed in a car accident for example. Why do they need consent here?

This isn't a political point either. Its mor about how we may be adopting best practice from other countries. 

Last night Macron made another speech, this time from a virus centre in Mulhouse.Taking questions afterwards, a high flying member of the French Ministry of Health revealed that the official “death” and “contamination” figures for thev irus in France, and also in Germany, do not include people who die at home, nor in old people’s homes, as they have not been “tested”.

Only contamination and deaths in special coronavirus wards in hospitals are counted. So the figure for virus related deaths could be much higher. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This isn't a political point either. Its mor about how we may be adopting best practice from other countries. 

Last night Macron made another speech, this time from a virus centre in Mulhouse.Taking questions afterwards, a high flying member of the French Ministry of Health revealed that the official “death” and “contamination” figures for thev irus in France, and also in Germany, do not include people who die at home, nor in old people’s homes, as they have not been “tested”.

Only contamination and deaths in special coronavirus wards in hospitals are counted. So the figure for virus related deaths could be much higher. 

If they haven't been tested how can you possibly include them in the figures as you don't know for sure what they died of (unless there is a post-mortem which can identify it?)

Unbelievable that China's recovery figures make up two thirds of the global number of recoveries from COVID19. It's almost like they are in a race to close cases (as long as they are closed with a satisfactory outcome I.e recovered) and to hell with reality. 

29 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Whats a Iron?

I think its a device made by Apple to press clothes. I am not really sure as I could never be accused of being " a new man"

• Haha 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

I do the bulk of the ironing in our house. My wife is just not good enough at it to meet my standards for my work stuff. It's an ex-squaddie thing I think...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I do the bulk of the ironing in our house. My wife is just not good enough at it to meet my standards for my work stuff. It's an ex-squaddie thing I think...

My dad used to pay a local Egyptian ' wallah ' to do his on his national service 

Did you see my question about the snorkel mask ? 

Have a quick look at this drone video of Cambridge. It shows the main roads in and out of the city - which would normally be gridlocked with traffic. The city centre would normally be packed with pedestrians and cyclists on a sunny day like today. The place is absolutely deserted - looks like a film set or something.

19 minutes ago, ckn said:

My wife's the same but I'm rapidly using up my stash of bri-nylon shirts. Anyone know where I can replenish my stocks (still have plenty of undies made from the stuff so no panic there)?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm now starting to shake and convulsions. Local lass that does ironing service is holing up like the rest of us..... which means I have to iron my own or look a bit of a crumpled 2@.

I think I will opt for the latter....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, M j M said:

If they haven't been tested how can you possibly include them in the figures as you don't know for sure what they died of (unless there is a post-mortem which can identify it?)

Like you, I can't do anything...apart from reporting what other countries who are clearly better in all other respects than ours, are doing.

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

As cases rise it becomes less important - when there are 3 in an area in a day working out whether a recent death was or wasnt related is easy for friends/relatives, when there are 300 it is next to impossible to segregate the data

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm now starting to shake and convulsions. Local lass that does ironing service is holing up like the rest of us..... which means I have to iron my own or look a bit of a crumpled 2@.

I think I will opt for the latter....

Edit - not sure why I've quoted you Robin!

38 minutes ago, JonM said:

Have a quick look at this drone video of Cambridge. It shows the main roads in and out of the city - which would normally be gridlocked with traffic. The city centre would normally be packed with pedestrians and cyclists on a sunny day like today. The place is absolutely deserted - looks like a film set or something.

<snip>

It wasn't that quiet at 3 in the morning 40 odd years ago!

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep