43 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Be interesting to see what the FA do with regards Leicester City Football team ?

They should be practising their keepy uppies in their back gardens for the next two weeks IMO.

Just now, Saintslass said:

That was a very depressing thread.

Sorry, my fault, should have caveated it. Will go back and edit. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Our first local lockdown is now officially happening, in Leicester and surrounding burbs.  Apparently that area accounted for 10% of all positive cases during the last week, positive cases are three times higher than the next highest city, and hospital admissions are rising.  Schools are being closed except for key worker and vulnerable children; non-essential shops are being closed back down; none of the changes due to take place at the weekend will happen in the area; only essential travel allowed and shielding people are to remain shielding.  The lockdown is to be reviewed in two weeks' time.

I think a dose of reality is needed.  Personally, I would also like to see the government make the wearing of face coverings mandatory in all indoor public settings.

It's 'recommended' to make essential journeys only not 'only allowed' . 

Time lost in spotting the outbreak and further days of dithering and still it seems they haven't decided the exact area to be covered! Compare this response to those seen recently in other countries to far smaller outbreaks. 

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

So, Leicester is 'locked down' but today's horseracing from there can go ahead, even with the racetrack being in one of the suburbs covered by the restrictions...….

Also, some measure that should already be in place (eg laws on local lockdowns) and other half arrised measures relying on people doing the 'right thing' once again

Taking about shops and other non-essential retail in the city, Mr Hancock told BBC Breakfast: "We'll be closing them by law and changing the law in the next day or two to put that into effect.

"We're also not releasing the legal measures that lift the lockdown for the rest of the country."

He said the law won't include banning people from travelling from Leicester to other nearby cities.

"We are recommending against travel unless it's essential but we're not putting that in place in law at this stage - of course we will if we have to," he said.

"Frankly, I've seen what people did during in the lockdown across the whole country and people in very large proportion followed the rules and I think that's what people will do in Leicester."

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

47 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

So, Leicester is 'locked down' but today's horseracing from there can go ahead, even with the racetrack being in one of the suburbs covered by the restrictions...….

Also, some measure that should already be in place (eg laws on local lockdowns) and other half arrised measures relying on people doing the 'right thing' once again

Taking about shops and other non-essential retail in the city, Mr Hancock told BBC Breakfast: "We'll be closing them by law and changing the law in the next day or two to put that into effect.

"We're also not releasing the legal measures that lift the lockdown for the rest of the country."

He said the law won't include banning people from travelling from Leicester to other nearby cities.

"We are recommending against travel unless it's essential but we're not putting that in place in law at this stage - of course we will if we have to," he said.

"Frankly, I've seen what people did during in the lockdown across the whole country and people in very large proportion followed the rules and I think that's what people will do in Leicester."

What's the point of any of this beyond annoying hairdressers in Leicester that they're customers can, entirely within the rules, get in their Leicester-based cars from outside their Leicester-based homes, drive to a nearby town, get out and enjoy the town centre including getting a haircut, lick the doorhandles of every open shop, and then climb back in and return to 'lockdown'.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

What's the point of any of this beyond annoying hairdressers in Leicester that they're customers can, entirely within the rules, get in their Leicester-based cars from outside their Leicester-based homes, drive to a nearby town, get out and enjoy the town centre including getting a haircut, lick the doorhandles of every open shop, and then climb back in and return to 'lockdown'.

A business owner in Leicester made that very point in an interview I saw last night.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly! How did you find out that is what they do in Leicester, especially licking the doorhandles?

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Dave Stokes, chairman of Leicestershire Police Federation, called for the government to provide more detail on what the public can and cannot do during the lockdown.

"As we have seen over recent weeks and months, if the guidance and messaging from government is confusing for the public, then it will be almost impossible for our colleagues to police," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53236467

They certainly need to tell people not to lick door handles outside Leicester. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Naturally they are relying on people still adhering to this 'guidance', my wife and I talked about it last night and if this came in in Edinburgh we would stick to it, so I'm sure plenty will. 

The problem we have really is all last week we were being told to get out there and spend spend spend, which is clearly being shown as too gung-ho an approach. 

I don't want to turn this political, but comms should be more careful moving forwards, particularly following this. 

My company were just about to mobilise our field force in Leicester - that's now been pushed back 4 weeks in the hope its sorted by then.

I saw an article that there's 35 potential towns next on the list - not sure how close they are to Leicester's numbers though

53 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My company were just about to mobilise our field force in Leicester - that's now been pushed back 4 weeks in the hope its sorted by then.

I saw an article that there's 35 potential towns next on the list - not sure how close they are to Leicester's numbers though

If it's the same article that the Wiltshire Times has reported and distorted I'd query the accuracy. Wiltshire was on their list because there had been a 400% increase in positive test results, reading the article it was in one lab and went from 1 to 4 so strictly true but not what you might term the whole truth. Still, Main Stream Media guys? Ammirite? 

22 minutes ago, Shadow said:

If it's the same article that the Wiltshire Times has reported and distorted I'd query the accuracy. Wiltshire was on their list because there had been a 400% increase in positive test results, reading the article it was in one lab and went from 1 to 4 so strictly true but not what you might term the whole truth. Still, Main Stream Media guys? Ammirite? 

I was a bit suspicious as no data or ranking accompanied it. I was mainly interested as Wigan was listed, as that is where my office is located and they were considering opening it up for returning back office staff

US buys up supplies of remdesivir:

The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world.

Experts and campaigners are alarmed both by the US unilateral action on remdesivir and the wider implications, for instance in the event of a vaccine becoming available. The Trump administration has already shown that it is prepared to outbid and outmanoeuvre all other countries to secure the medical supplies it needs for the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

As an aside, is x4 a 400% increase? 

100% increase is x2....

17 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

As an aside, is x4 a 400% increase? 

100% increase is x2....

I don’t think stats was the journalist’s strong point.

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

I was a bit suspicious as no data or ranking accompanied it. I was mainly interested as Wigan was listed, as that is where my office is located and they were considering opening it up for returning back office staff

There was a hysterical headline in the Daily Telegraph today claiming something like 35 cities/counties have rising cases and maybe next in line for lockdown.  However, when you look at the list of cities/counties they helpfully include, all these rises the alarmist headline refers to involve massive numbers like from one to four or three to five.  Only about three other towns had what I would say were significant rises but none of them like the one reported in Leicester.

I just read an article on the Gruniad site which is reporting that the textile and food processing industries may be vectors as it was suggested they have not been following social distancing or other covid guidance.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, Saintslass said:

There was a hysterical headline in the Daily Telegraph today claiming something like 35 cities/counties have rising cases and maybe next in line for lockdown.  However, when you look at the list of cities/counties they helpfully include, all these rises the alarmist headline refers to involve massive numbers like from one to four or three to five.  Only about three other towns had what I would say were significant rises but none of them like the one reported in Leicester.

I just read an article on the Gruniad site which is reporting that the textile and food processing industries may be vectors as it was suggested they have not been following social distancing or other covid guidance.  

I walk my dog passed the local slaughterhouse quite regular . Lots of the workers are from outside the local area . Lots of cars,mini buses parked up . Come end of shift lots walking out of the factories facility then start packing the transport .  

8 hours ago, henage said:

I walk my dog passed the local slaughterhouse quite regular . Lots of the workers are from outside the local area . Lots of cars,mini buses parked up . Come end of shift lots walking out of the factories facility then start packing the transport .  

Abattoirs appear to be particularly good at spreading Covid as a few countries have had outbreaks within them; the biggest one I think is in Germany where over 1,500 employees have tested positive in one over the last few weeks.

Here is the PHE report on Leicester  (pdf)  I can't pretend to understand all of it but I get the gist.  Apparently Bradford, Barnsley and Rochdale are other potential problem areas but all are significantly behind Leicester.

Edited by Saintslass
  • Like 1

Shadow has helpfully highlighted the naivity of using percentages when the sample total is itself small.

I spent much of my career working on rural issues, and there is another aspect of the list of 35, after Leicester, that concerns me.  Five of the local authority areas are predominantly rural counties - Derbyshire, Gloucestershire, the Isle of Wight, Suffolk and Wiltshire; there are six if you add Redcar & Cleveland.

If the problems in, for example, Suffolk are essentially manifesting themselves in, say, Ipswich, what is the point of locking down the whole county?  This shows the arbitrary nature of using whole local authority areas as the basis for this sort of decision making.  

It is depressing how frequently the specific characteristics of rural areas are ignored in processes primarily driven by urban experience.

• Like 1

So, at 6am on the morning of the 4th of July, the pubs re-open. Can't see why they'd bother when there's NRL on TV!

Oh, hang on, it's Gold Coast Titans v Cronulla Sharks. A bottle of Coronavirus (with a lemming wedge in the neck) might actually be preferable, after all.

Or just a lie-in 'til the next match at 8:30am...

Oh God, that's New Zealand Warriors v Brisbane Broncos. They're not making this "staying safe" malarkey easy, are they?

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)