Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Batley Bob

Featherstone - season opener

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

We know batley have used it  before so no excuses there. But having said that it doesnt mean that we as supporters agree with it. I think it has killed the competitiveness in games rather than intensified the matchday  experience. 

Fine, and many Fev fans would agree with that, but I have looked at this forum for years and there has never been anything like the outrage when your own team has used it as there has been when we have.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure that the DR system causes conflicting emotions in a lot of us.  It is good to see talented players in the Championship and I am grateful to have seen some of them playing for us in years gone by.  It does lend itself to clubs being treated as "feeder" clubs though, and for that reason I prefer loans to DR.  

The real challenge for Championship Clubs might be the reserve competition.  If it proves itself to be a good testing ground for players then we might well see Championship players being picked off just to help develop good young players in SL reserve teams.  

Sorry to drift off the title subject somewhat!

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Bi11
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fine, and many Fev fans would agree with that, but I have looked at this forum for years and there has never been anything like the outrage when your own team has used it as there has been when we have.

Well for me, as said many times, how clubs choose to run themselves is their choice and nothing to do with anyone else. What galls me is the vitriol aimed at other clubs in the past, when they used DR. The phrase 'selling your soul' was often used by the supporters of your club. Now we see regularly Fev supporters appearing extolling the values of DR. You reap what you sow I am afraid.

Edited by distantdog
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good performance 

But like ours on Friday night

Fabulous effort by your lads but like ours you get absolutely fluff all for breaking ya ball$

Hope it's not the same old story for both heavy woollen clubs

 

Bring back the bonus point!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, coolie said:

Good performance 

But like ours on Friday night

Fabulous effort by your lads but like ours you get absolutely fluff all for breaking ya ball$

Hope it's not the same old story for both heavy woollen clubs

 

Bring back the bonus point!!!!!

We were in the game until Bowman gave the penalty away 🤦🏻‍♂️
 

we played well but that killed us off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, distantdog said:

. Now we see regularly Fev supporters appearing extolling the values of DR. You reap what you sow I am afraid.

On this forum, it's virtually always a Batley fan who brings up DR, and Fev fans merely point out the double standards. You reap what you sow, I am afraid.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On this forum, it's virtually always a Batley fan who brings up DR, and Fev fans merely point out the double standards. You reap what you sow, I am afraid.

You will of course notice that i didn't say who was first to bring up the subject. Secondly, it is a Batley forum so why shouldn't it be brought up on here by a Batley supporter. There is nothing more predictable than the virus of Fev supporters arriving to defend their club against the use of DR. (If you notice, I did say it is nothing to do with anyone how a club chooses to run itself.)The double sstandard is Fev fans embracing DR with gusto when previously accusing other clubs when doing the same.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, distantdog said:

You will of course notice that i didn't say who was first to bring up the subject. Secondly, it is a Batley forum so why shouldn't it be brought up on here by a Batley supporter. There is nothing more predictable than the virus of Fev supporters arriving to defend their club against the use of DR. (If you notice, I did say it is nothing to do with anyone how a club chooses to run itself.)The double sstandard is Fev fans embracing DR with gusto when previously accusing other clubs when doing the same.

If you don't like Fev fans talking about DR, don't bring it up! The point about Fev fans having previously been critical of DR many years ago is actually a valid one imo, but it's no more hypocritical than Batley fans bringing it up whenever we play you...every time, it's Batley fans whining about us using DR (and sometimes on our forum too), it's no wonder some Fev fans remind you about your own use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If you don't like Fev fans talking about DR, don't bring it up! The point about Fev fans having previously been critical of DR many years ago is actually a valid one imo, but it's no more hypocritical than Batley fans bringing it up whenever we play you...every time, it's Batley fans whining about us using DR (and sometimes on our forum too), it's no wonder some Fev fans remind you about your own use.

OK, I don't mind them talking about it, just think that it is hypocritical! Do I think our supporters are being hypocritical when doing the same? Of course, and you will see that discussion on here on other threads. There are threads on your forum discussing similar themes, though I believe the tones are different.

Anyway, congratulations on your win today. You are a fine side!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, distantdog said:

OK, I don't mind them talking about it, just think that it is hypocritical! Do I think our supporters are being hypocritical when doing the same? Of course, and you will see that discussion on here on other threads. There are threads on your forum discussing similar themes, though I believe the tones are different.

Anyway, congratulations on your win today. You are a fine side!

Fair enough. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, distantdog said:

OK, I don't mind them talking about it, just think that it is hypocritical! Do I think our supporters are being hypocritical when doing the same? Of course, and you will see that discussion on here on other threads. There are threads on your forum discussing similar themes, though I believe the tones are different.

Anyway, congratulations on your win today. You are a fine side!

BatleyBulldogs 18 Fev rhinos 38 😂


IMG_0583.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW...The next 3 games for Fev may be interesting. No Chisholm. He was the nucleus and that created the difference.

We played well today. Thoughf the ref missed some calls / got them wrong but hey ho. I was very impressed with Bowman. Thought pack was good. Half backs stood up. Couple of tweeks /additions  were not a million miles away. Well done. 

Edited by colinb
  • Like 3

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just posted the Player Stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reasonably happy after today, ok we lost by 20 but we've lost to Fev in a blown away fashion so often, today we competed and were well in it at 18-24. A couple of signings/She's would do a world of good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On this forum, it's virtually always a Batley fan who brings up DR, and Fev fans merely point out the double standards. You reap what you sow, I am afraid.

I can only see it as some love it because it has benefitted their club, some loath it because it is dividing the division into a four horse race most seasons . The final placing predictions at the beginning of the season by most pundits is nearly always what has been suggested.  I really hope fev do make it to super duper league, they deserve it. If they do it will be interesting to see how they recruit players to play at that level because not all the squad they have now are of that standard . Also there will be mo more d/r with leeds. The dogs might not be the biggest club in rl, but we dont owe nobody owt, and  are not scared to answer the door when people come knocking. Financially we are probably in a better place than some sl clubs. Good look for 2020 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Dogfather, when Batley beat Fev in the 2013 semi final using Huddersfield dual reg players YOU started a thread straight after the game entitled "John Kear for Pope, Knighthood and Prime Minister". Why were you not telling your fellow Batley fans how delusional they were instead?
 

 

Crikey, I know there isn't much to do in Fev, but that post must have taken some dredging. 😉

I think the hypocrisy you cite is incorrect though. I haven't and never will have any issues with using DR as it was originally intended, like we did.  I.e. A maximum of 2 DR players and one loanee in the 17. giving young lads (under 23 year olds) experience and giving them exposure to a higher standard than the reserves. Any more than 3 players in the 17 is just too many imo.

My issue is playing very experienced SL players like Singleton, Delaney and we even had Adam Swift play against us last year for Sheffield, (it isn't an anti Fev thing). Although it is within the rules to do this. It isn't really in the spirit, again, just my opinion. This is not Fev's or any other teams issue, it should be the governing body that should be ensuring that this sort of thing cannot happen.

Please tell me where we ever used a DR player with regular first team experience?

However, it may seem like Fev get most of the stick, because you seem to have at least 4 none Fev players in the 17 most weeks whether they are DR, loan or mysteriously signed from Leeds with seemingly no money exchanging hands. Like in Briscoe's case, and now with the lad Bradford have picked up from Leeds for just one season and then he is returning to Leeds.

But congratulations on the win today, we were far more competitive than I expected prior to kick off.

 

Edited by DOGFATHER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

I can only see it as some love it because it has benefitted their club, some loath it because it is dividing the division into a four horse race most seasons . The final placing predictions at the beginning of the season by most pundits is nearly always what has been suggested.  I really hope fev do make it to super duper league, they deserve it. If they do it will be interesting to see how they recruit players to play at that level because not all the squad they have now are of that standard . Also there will be mo more d/r with leeds. The dogs might not be the biggest club in rl, but we dont owe nobody owt, and  are not scared to answer the door when people come knocking. Financially we are probably in a better place than some sl clubs. Good look for 2020 season.

Honestly, I don't think any Fev fans "love" DR. Although I do think our club has done a good job of building up a relationship with our DR partners I wouldn't be at all upset if it was done away with and many Fev fans feel even more strongly than that.  A few of us just get annoyed when people point the finger at us rather than the system itself.

Yes we'd need to recruit differently if we made SL but there would be a massive funding boost for us...probably 5 or 6 times the current budget.

Most Fev fans really like Batley, and coming to the ground. You've got some really good people running the club, honest and loyal, and it saddens me when I've seen them get flack on here. As you say financially you have always been very sound and an admirable club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Crikey, I know there isn't much to do in Fev, but that post must have taken some dredging. 😉

I think the hypocrisy you cite is incorrect though. I haven't and never will have any issues with using DR as it was originally intended, like we did.  I.e. A maximum of 2 DR players and one loanee in the 17. giving young lads (under 23 year olds) experience and giving them exposure to a higher standard than the reserves. Any more than 3 players in the 17 is just too many imo.

My issue is playing very experienced SL players like Singleton, Delaney and we even had Adam Swift play against us last year for Sheffield, (it isn't an anti Fev thing). Although it is within the rules to do this. It isn't really in the spirit, again, just my opinion. This is not Fev's or any other teams issue, it should be the governing body that should be ensuring that this sort of thing cannot happen.

Please tell me where we ever used a player with regular first team experience?

However, it may seem like Fev get most of the stick, because you seem to have at least 4 none Fev players in the 17 most weeks whether they are DR, loan or mysteriously signed from Leeds with seemingly no money exchanging hands. Like in Briscoe's case, and now with the lad Bradford have picked up from Leeds for just one season and then he is returning to Leeds.

But congratulations on the win today, we were far more competitive than I expected prior to kick off.

 

Actually I agree about Singleton and Delaney, they only played 1 game each for us but I'd be all in favour of a rule prohibiting players with a certain level of SL/NRL experience. And if the limit of DR players were reduced, fine by me too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Actually I agree about Singleton and Delaney, they only played 1 game each for us but I'd be all in favour of a rule prohibiting players with a certain level of SL/NRL experience. And if the limit of DR players were reduced, fine by me too.

It is worse in some ways if they only play once, if you are the unlucky team to play against them. Like we were with Singleton. Maybe the likes of Dewsbury and Swinton would not have been so competitive if he had played against them too?

Edited by DOGFATHER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, distantdog said:

The double sstandard is Fev fans embracing DR with gusto when previously accusing other clubs when doing the same.

Nonsense.

Most fans at Rovers do not embrace DR and would prefer it wasn't used....

I'm one of those.... i hate it, but i can fully understand why we use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we didn't use it with Leeds another team would. I personally don't agree with it but it is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Nonsense.

Most fans at Rovers do not embrace DR and would prefer it wasn't used....

I'm one of those.... i hate it, but i can fully understand why we use it.

Really? Those that share the virtues seem to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

If we didn't use it with Leeds another team would. I personally don't agree with it but it is what it is. 

But it wasn't always like that was it? You were one of the Club's who took a stance against it, a stance l personally admired. What changed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, distantdog said:

Really? Those that share the virtues seem to. 

Like who?

I can't recall a single post from any fev fan embracing the system with gusto....

There may be the odd one.... but i cant recall any. You got a quote??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...