Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Let's put it this way, if, say old hook-hand Abu Hamza wanted to invest £500k/year into Bradford as the club met his moral values, what would your opinion be? I know what my opinion would be and the second word would be "off". Folau is, unfortunately, a poster child for extremist views and that will rub off on his employer.

Bilgewater.

Hamza was charged and found guilty of inciting racial hatred and violence in the UK. He was subsequently jailed for terrorism in the USA on multiple charges.

You need to have your moral relativism recalibrated. Folau is patently talking utter nonsense which clearly offends (and we could do without), but he is not an 'extremist' in any legal sense.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Bilgewater.

Hamza was charged and found guilty of inciting racial hatred and violence in the UK. He was subsequently jailed for terrorism in the USA on multiple charges.

You need to have your moral relativism recalibrated. Folau is patently talking utter nonsense which clearly offends (and we could do without), but he is not an 'extremist' in any legal sense.

 

That's not the point, though.

Supposing our man Abu turns up now and says, "You know what, lads. I'm actually a big fan of crooked play the balls and scoots from dummy half so I've decided to invest big time in Super League. I promise not to do any of the old radicalism and, heh, it's just opinions, right?"

Do you take his money?


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Now it has been confirmed by Lenegan that he explored signing Folau himself, and they signed Hardaker after his homophobia and drugs ban, it does seem a but odd.

People are calling it out as trolling online, and being applauded, but now it turns out the Wigan club would happily have signed him it feels cynical now.

Explored has many possible meanings. It could be the exploring stopped when he saw that our godbothering halfwit (it's just an opinion) was, as recently as "whilst Australians were burning to death" putting out homophobic messages.

Or it could be that it went further and Lenagan's a hypocrite.

Don't care. I don't demand ideological purity. Just a pride round whenever Cats are playing and a suitable supply of milkshakes will keep me happy.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

What a strange rhetorical question

I see nothing with the question

Guy is trying to emotionally manipulate Sadler

The sexuality of his son is irrelevant to Folau playing for Catalans

Folks way over estimate how much others think of them or their family/friends

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concerning the ‘religious rights / freedom of speech’ quandary - I can’t help feeling it wouldn’t have turned out quite so bad for Folau if he’d just said ‘As a Christian I disagree with the notion of homosexuality based on the bible text’... rather than ‘HELL AWAITS GAY PEOPLE!’.

I can understand why homosexuals find that slightly offensive - the manner of the language didn’t emphasise the religious belief but rather seemed to favour stirring up emotion/rage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gingerjon said:

That's not the point, though.

Supposing our man Abu turns up now and says, "You know what, lads. I'm actually a big fan of crooked play the balls and scoots from dummy half so I've decided to invest big time in Super League. I promise not to do any of the old radicalism and, heh, it's just opinions, right?"

Do you take his money?

No. It is the point. He's a convicted felon who actively wished harm upon others.

The Very Reverend Folau is not and did not, bonkers as his take on it is. Believing people of certain lifestyles go to hell is one thing, actively wishing them there and helping them on their way is quite another.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ravens88 said:

I see nothing with the question

Guy is trying to emotionally manipulate Sadler

The sexuality of his son is irrelevant to Folau playing for Catalans

Folks way over estimate how much others think of them or their family/friends

Its relevant to the poster going to watch his local team (les dracs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Concerning the ‘religious rights / freedom of speech’ quandary - I can’t help feeling it wouldn’t have turned out quite so bad for Folau if he’d just said ‘As a Christian I disagree with the notion of homosexuality based on the bible text’... rather than ‘HELL AWAITS GAY PEOPLE!’.

I can understand why homosexuals find that slightly offensive - the manner of the language didn’t emphasise the religious belief but rather seemed to favour stirring up emotion/rage?

I think you have a point here. It was extremely clumsy and ill-judged.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

Surely he must be outraged?

Why would he be???

Maybe he's not a permanently offended victim who see Homophobia everywhere & is triggered by mean words

Victim-hood Narrative is so nauseating 

Few things worse than others taking "offence" on behalf of others 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Explored has many possible meanings. It could be the exploring stopped when he saw that our godbothering halfwit (it's just an opinion) was, as recently as "whilst Australians were burning to death" putting out homophobic messages.

Or it could be that it went further and Lenagan's a hypocrite.

Don't care. I don't demand ideological purity. Just a pride round whenever Cats are playing and a suitable supply of milkshakes will keep me happy.

the fact he refers to being at full cap, and having no issues with him playing in SL, whilst his club join those making online digs just seem cynical to me. 

Nice to see Sky Sports talking to Keegan Hirst tioday instead of Martyn's mate.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

No. It is the point. He's a convicted felon who actively wished harm upon others.

The Very Reverend Folau is not and did not, bonkers as his take on it is. Believing people of certain lifestyles go to hell is one thing, actively wishing them there and helping them on their way is quite another.

 

But a convicted felon who has served his punishment.

I'd also say that, for a Christian, damning someone to hell is actively wishing harm.

Just opinions though. Perhaps it's more that one is against you and one, I presume, isn't?


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave T said:

the fact he refers to being at full cap, and having no issues with him playing in SL, whilst his club join those making online digs just seem cynical to me. 

Nice to see Sky Sports talking to Keegan Hirst tioday instead of Martyn's mate.

There's a better than outside chance that Lenagan hasn't the first clue what the social media guy is doing and the social media guy neither knows nor cares what Lenagan has said or done.

Sometimes the shambolically amateur nature of rugby league clubs leads to beautiful moments.

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its relevant to the poster going to watch his local team (les dracs)

LOL!!!

Did the poster have the same outrage/discomfort when Dragons had Monaghon, Bird, Edwards, Tomkins etc

Does that mean he "comfortable" with paying to watch folks who abuse animals, beat up women, abuse people publicly etc

Folks have  strange moral compass nowadays

WORSE to say dumb stuff than to allegedly whack people with glass objects in the face beat up folks or abuse folks verbally

What strange times we live in when we tolerate actual violence on folks yet we howl in outrage over mean words from religious folks who follow Abrahamic Religions......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

But a convicted felon who has served his punishment.

I'd also say that, for a Christian, damning someone to hell is actively wishing harm.

Just opinions though. Perhaps it's more that one is against you and one, I presume, isn't?

He hasn't served his punishment, he's still in the nick. Folau didn't damn anyone to hell, he said that's where they went according to his (very questionable) view of scripture.

You really need to be careful about equating these two people. It's approaching the thin line of defamation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if this has been said, but can we bring Ian Roberts and his elbow out of retirement for the Wigan game. 

And perhaps Matt Cecchin can come and referee.

An eye for an eye and all that. 


People called Romans they go the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the huge feature on SSN now. It is bizarre. The signing is being condemned by the RFL, Super League, Catalans are slating his views. Keegan Hirst slating it. Brian Carney slating it. The Director of Pride Sports condemning it. 

This just doesn't feel like something we should be getting our hands grubby over.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ravens88 said:

LOL!!!

Did the poster have the same outrage/discomfort when Dragons had Monaghon, Bird, Edwards, Tomkins etc

Does that mean he "comfortable" with paying to watch folks who abuse animals, beat up women, abuse people publicly etc

Folks have  strange moral compass nowadays

WORSE to say dumb stuff than to allegedly whack people with glass objects in the face beat up folks or abuse folks verbally

What strange times we live in when we tolerate actual violence on folks yet we howl in outrage over mean words from religious folks who follow Abrahamic Religions......

I have no idea, but they weren't advocating for his son to go to hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, absentee thoughtlord said:

He hasn't served his punishment, he's still in the nick. Folau didn't damn anyone to hell, he said that's where they went according to his (very questionable) view of scripture.

You really need to be careful about equating these two people. It's approaching the thin line of defamation.

Fair enough. I'm not equating them so apologies if it comes over that way. One is substantially more dangerous than the other. That is most definitely true.

I still don't want the godbothering bigot near TGG.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Watching the huge feature on SSN now. It is bizarre. The signing is being condemned by the RFL, Super League, Catalans are slating his views. Keegan Hirst slating it. Brian Carney slating it. The Director of Pride Sports condemning it. 

This just doesn't feel like something we should be getting our hands grubby over.

We're a key sport on Sky as well. They are not going to want to be seen to be promoting a sport that's a-okay with Folau.

I'm actually quite pleased we're not burying it like they do with 'pasts' in US sports.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, ravens88 said:

What strange times we live in when we tolerate actual violence on folks yet we howl in outrage over mean words from religious folks who follow Abrahamic Religions......

Two points.

1. I haven't seen anyone on here say they tolerate violence and almost every player case cited as tolerated (if not all) has led to punishment by either the RFL or the criminal justice system.

2. Why do we have to choose not to tolerate just one of these two? Why can't we be intolerant to both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Watching the huge feature on SSN now. It is bizarre. The signing is being condemned by the RFL, Super League, Catalans are slating his views. Keegan Hirst slating it. Brian Carney slating it. The Director of Pride Sports condemning it. 

This just doesn't feel like something we should be getting our hands grubby over.

Exactly, nobody wants this do they.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I have no idea, but they weren't advocating for his son to go to hell. 

And nor was Israel Folau. He said that's where he believed they went (and, by extension of my personal misdemeanours, I'd be going with them).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's just been a feature on the Radio 4 news, a few minutes ago. It also mentioned that Wigan's Pride event will be taking place at the DW Stadium... on the day Catalans are the visitng team.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...