https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/greater-western-sydneys-israel-folau-footys-new-8-million-man/news-story/98acb40c34a342b5e137f3a400f31647?sv=8d3ab2d441ba86c1ea628d87cfb3220

"Initially lambasted as little more than a marketing tool in the AFL's invasion of western Sydney, the national appeal of football has almost tripled Folau's advertising appeal from his days as a rugby league player."

"The AFL's marketing division is so calculating that when it came time to enter one of the GWS players in the Cleo Bachelor of the Year competition, the Giants told Folau he had to do it."

this is why i dislike Folau.  the AFL openly used him to push into rugby league heartland and he was more than happy to be their poster boy.  AFL saw him as bringing in all the polynesian players into their sport than rugby league.

folau is a mercenary whose only loyalty is to his hip pocket.  but hes a damned fine footballer

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/israel-folau-kevin-sheedy-says-afl-should-target-tonga-if-rugby-league-blocks-move/ar-AAHOMfN

this shows how desperate AFL is to expand.

Edited by aj1908

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Did he not also look the bushfires to being a punishment from God for these beliefs? 

Doesn't sound very tolerant here.. 

The most intolerant people on this planet are the vociferous so called "tolerant left".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

i said it before you mustve missed it

im perfectly happy for folau to be banned from rugby league because of the way he treated the game when he left and was helping to undermine rugby league in sydney.  i dislike him intensely bc he thinks hes better than rugby league

but i wouldnt want him banned for his twitter posts bc he didnt actually really do anything unlike loads of current players who did and the game has taken them back.

banning folau for his own beliefs on twitter when wife bashers and drug takers are allowed in the game is very hypocritical.

also i suspect there are actual rugby league players who are genuine homophobes and not for religious reasons currently playing the game.

having said that im actually happy for super league theyve gotten a good player

but i feel he is using rugby league again to rehabilitate him as a rugby player and in a years time when the heat dies down he will take a better offer in french union.

i personally dislike folau intensely.  but hes a very very good player imo

and i never forget when a player ditches league lol.  i still dislike wendall sailor for example wish wed never taken him back.  id be perfectly happy once they leave to shut the door on them for good

rugby league isnt a doormat.  the game doesnt need these attention seeking drama queens.

I agree with a lot that you say but I feel as a game we need to look at why we lose the stars from our game , is it money , lack of an international profile and international Rugby?; we need the stars in our game although not at any cost I must stress

Keegan Hirst on BBC breakfast this morning could do with finding a more prominent job in the games for him when he finishes. As for Folau it’s not so much what he said as everyone can make a mistake and get a second chance. The issue is he still doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong. People comparing it to drug cheats or wife beaters. If those drug cheats had said publicly that they are sorry for any upset but they are their own personal drugs and they will be using them in private would they still be getting signed. 

6 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I agree with a lot that you say but I feel as a game we need to look at why we lose the stars from our game , is it money , lack of an international profile and international Rugby?; we need the stars in our game although not at any cost I must stress

money was the only reason

they can say they want to play a higher level of internationals but its always at higher money

with the nrl salary cap where it is keeping players except wingers isnt really a problem anymore

folau went to AFL on 2 million a year for example

the NRL salary cap is around 10 million.  if it were 15 or 20 million then not a single player would leave if they wanted to be retained.  by the next tv deal it should be around 15 million

in terms of losing players, its only wingers now the nrl loses and they are dime a dozen.

oh theres the nfl thing but that seems to be dieing out too

Edited by aj1908

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Keegan Hirst on BBC breakfast this morning could do with finding a more prominent job in the games for him when he finishes. As for Folau it’s not so much what he said as everyone can make a mistake and get a second chance. The issue is he still doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong. People comparing it to drug cheats or wife beaters. If those drug cheats had said publicly that they are sorry for any upset but they are their own personal drugs and they will be using them in private would they still be getting signed. 

ok do a lie detector test on every super league player and ask them if they think being gay is ok.

ban every single one who fails.  

49 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Ahh the French!  Despite all of the outrage in the UK and Australia, I guarantee 100% that no one in Perpignan gives a ###### about what Folau said or did.  I grew up with Francos, they tend not to give a ###### about this sort of stuff, it's a cultural thing.

Let's face it, Catalans have been near the cellar the past few seasons and need the firepower.  They probably even got a discount on account of Israel's "baggage".  Smart rugby move.

The first few comments under this article are rather scathing.. plenty more of that too..
https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby-a-xiii/Actualites/Israel-folau-a-signe-chez-les-dragons-catalans/1103493

“Les Dragons catalans ont fait un choix. En conscience. Désormais j'en fais un aussi : je ne les soutiens plus et j'espère leur dégringolade. Ils choisissent un joueur infréquentable et insoutenable, qu'ils n'espèrent pas être soutenus.”

”À ce stade là tu ne peux pas compartimenter le privé et le pro. En le signant, ça revient à cautionner les déclarations publiques de ce garçon. Grossière erreur de la part des Dragons.”

“C’est une blague? On va laisser un homophobe notoire fouler nos pelouses? Vous avez perdu un spectateur chers Dragons, j'ai autre chose à faire que de regarder un extrémiste faire mumuse avec une baballe“

12 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

They are his strong beliefs and that of many others , so yes he sees he has done no wrong; he is standing up for his religious belief which not everyone agrees with

All Israel Folau has done is express his view. He can't personally send homosexuals to hell and, as far as we know, he hasn't inflicted any personal violence against gay people  or blocked their employment prospects.

He's entitled to his opinion and we're entitled to ignore it. We've players in our game that have committed actual crimes and nobody moans about them playing when their sentence is up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

14 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

maybe this hirst guy should do his talking on a rugby pitch.  thats usually how its done in rugby league.  he looks a big unit, if he catches folau im sure he could put a good hit on him

I'm instinctively uncomfortable with banning Folau based on the tweets and comments he's made. He essentially gave a long list of behaviours he believes to be sins and said people practicing them were going to hell. He wasn't attacking an individual, or making threats, it was all very general. I don't see anything that really merits being banned from playing our sport, or any other. It's distasteful, but I don't like the idea of banning him from the sport simply because he has some hardline, archaic religious beliefs.

I think I'd feel differently if he'd singled out an individual for those comments, for example if he'd tweeted an openly gay player and told him he was going to hell. That would feel different, like a personal attack on someone who hadn't done anything to merit it.

All that said, I wouldn't want him playing for my team, and I don't particularly want him playing RL. It would have been better for all concerned if Bernard Guasch had left this one alone.

• Like 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

8 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm aware that it was stupid, ill-conceived and pointless precisely because the answer was obvious, which was why I asked it.

Of course nothing Folau could tweet would have any effect on the pride you take in your son's achievements.

So bearing that in mind, why should that affect whether or not you support the Catalans Dragons?

As I have pointed out earlier, my daughter and son-in-law are evangelical Christians who have some views that I strongly disagree with.

But that doesn't mean that I would not give them as much support as I could with their lives and with bringing up their children.

Part of the art of living is recognising that some people who you might otherwise admire and respect have opinions that you might dispute, but not to the extent of driving a wedge between you.

But unfortunately in the modern world far too many people seem to want to exacerbate division while hypocritically proclaiming that they are encouraging diversity.

Then why on earth ask it? Was it a bit of rhetoric thrown down merely to provoke a reaction? 

I won't support the Dragons because I'd rather be able to look my son in the eye. He's suffered the slings and arrows enough from people like Folau, who, in his tiny little mind and his arrogance, believe that their belief in a bunch of bronze age fairy tales allows them the right to spout hate filled rhetoric against a section of society that has already suffered enough.

As Keegan Hurst alluded to this morning on TV, have the Dragons sacrificed their values, if they had any in the first place, for the sake of a few extra points or climbing  a couple of places up the table?

Yet I see the argument you are trying to make. There are many people I admire whose opinion on certain subjects do not agree with my own - the important point is the subject matter to which the opinion is directed and how it is expressed. Plus, it's ironic that you mention the 'art of living' as I am currently studying Arts and Humanities with the OU!

However, I'm an atheist and Folau, through his religious based ignorance reminds me why I am. 

• Like 2

For a sport that has welcomed back some real grubs over the years, I find it extremely strange that the line is being drawn with Folau. In Australia, we’ve had the likes of Matt Lodge, Russell Packer, Greg Bird, Greg Inglis, Ben Barba and plenty of others who have done bad things welcomed back. I don’t keep up with the sport in England but I know you’ve had the likes of Ben Flower, Albert Kelly who don’t have clean track records. But yet the line is being drawn with Folau. Why is that?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CiderWire said:

Then why on earth ask it? Was it a bit of rhetoric thrown down merely to provoke a reaction? 

I won't support the Dragons because I'd rather be able to look my son in the eye. He's suffered the slings and arrows enough from people like Folau, who, in his tiny little mind and his arrogance, believe that their belief in a bunch of bronze age fairy tales allows them the right to spout hate filled rhetoric against a section of society that has already suffered enough.

As Keegan Hurst alluded to this morning on TV, have the Dragons sacrificed their values, if they had any in the first place, for the sake of a few extra points or climbing  a couple of places up the table?

Yet I see the argument you are trying to make. There are many people I admire whose opinion on certain subjects do not agree with my own - the important point is the subject matter to which the opinion is directed and how it is expressed. Plus, it's ironic that you mention the 'art of living' as I am currently studying Arts and Humanities with the OU!

However, I'm an atheist and Folau, through his religious based ignorance reminds me why I am. 

See you in hell 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

maybe this hirst guy should do his talking on a rugby pitch.  thats usually how its done in rugby league.  he looks a big unit, if he catches folau im sure he could put a good hit on him

Problem is Hirst is a low level player ,just because he’s gay means nothing to me ; he’s an average player. I’m not intending to put the man down ; I’m just looking at it from a Rugby perspective rather than one of sexuality. 

15 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So just an out and out attempt at provocation essentially? Interesting, homophobia isn’t a new thing and not even new to our game - where were you all then asking for every club to come out in force? And worst of all many seem to want to do it to provoke a reaction from Folau rather than actually support LGBTQ+ community. Bandwagon springs to mind. 

If it sparks a reaction out of him then good, that's a bonus. My suggestion was primarily to show him that RL  stands firmly against his homophobic stance, and unlike him the game welcomes people from the LGBT community.

I have several friends and colleagues who are gay including one who is a Saints season ticket holder. She said that while not happy about him coming the SL she's more disappointed by the Dragons than the RFL themselves for accepting his registration. She'll no doubt be voicing her opinions to Folau from the terraces when he comes to Saints.

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

18 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

ok do a lie detector test on every super league player and ask them if they think being gay is ok.

ban every single one who fails.  

This is a really, really odd argument.. 

People can hold whatever views they want. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

This is a really, really odd argument.. 

People can hold whatever views they want. 

Including folau ?

2 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I'm instinctively uncomfortable with banning Folau based on the tweets and comments he's made. He essentially gave a long list of behaviours he believes to be sins and said people practicing them were going to hell. He wasn't attacking an individual, or making threats, it was all very general. I don't see anything that really merits being banned from playing our sport, or any other. It's distasteful, but I don't like the idea of banning him from the sport simply because he has some hardline, archaic religious beliefs.

I think I'd feel differently if he'd singled out an individual for those comments, for example if he'd tweeted an openly gay player and told him he was going to hell. That would feel different, like a personal attack on someone who hadn't done anything to merit it.

All that said, I wouldn't want him playing for my team, and I don't particularly want him playing RL. It would have been better for all concerned if Bernard Guasch had left this one alone.

Decent analysis there, pretty much where I am (more or less) and I’d rather have they hadn’t gone here in the first place. 
It’s definitely a bit of a moral maze because let’s imagine he had those views but didn’t air them publicly, would that be acceptable? Do we start making players sign some sort of declaration about what they do or don’t believe in?

But at the same time, not naming an individual doesn’t mean he’s free to express any views.  If he’d said ‘I hate blacks’ that wouldn’t be picking on an individual but still wrong and unacceptable. (Obviously perhaps)

• Like 1

Since people are quoting what others have said and misquoting what Folau himself has said; here's a couple of quotes from him.

"My response to the question is what I believe God's plan is for all sinners, according to my understanding of my Bible teachings, specifically 1 Corinthians 6:9–10

"Since my social media posts were publicised, it has been suggested that I am homophobic and bigoted and that I have a problem with gay people. This could not be further from the truth. I fronted the cover of the Star Observer magazine to show my support for the Bingham Cup, which is an international gay rugby competition for both men and women. I believe in inclusion. In my heart, I know I do not have any phobia towards anyone." 

He's literally quoted as saying he doesn't have a problem with people who are gay and attributes his comments directly to religious scripts (not his own words which is important) yet some are saying Hardaker was forgiven because he 'showed remorse' and went on an 'educational course' - deary me, I know which one of them two I think said their comments in a massively ill judged manner and which one said them as a mindless homophobe but hey don't some of you let your halo/moral compass slide because...because he did the course, right? 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

" it was not my intention to hurt anyone and I'll not be making further public comment on it " 

To me that's the end of it 

Unless others feel they need to make a point by continuing to make an issue of it , if that's the case then I'd be looking to question why and what their motives are ?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Including folau ?

What he believes isn't the issue. Spouting his offensive hate filled propoganda is. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

unlike him the game welcomes people from the LGBT community.

Where has he stated this ?

29 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Keegan Hirst on BBC breakfast this morning could do with finding a more prominent job in the games for him when he finishes. 

Agreed. Hirst was highly eloquent and passionate.

Steve McNamara called him up prior to the announcement and it seems Hirst told him to fornicate off!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

What he believes isn't the issue. Spouting his offensive hate filled propoganda is. 

So being homophobic isn't the issue 

Tell that to the rest of the thread 

He was initially asked the question  by one of his folle4rs

So he isn't allowed to answer his own beliefs